Cream To Toughen Pads?

Sahara has scraped up the pads on three of her four feet over the past few months. Most recently, she skidded while playing with another dog and scraped both stop pads on her front legs. With the warmer weather, she loves to run like crazy. I remember someone posting about a cream that can toughen a dog's pads. Does anyone know the name of it or have any experience with it? Thanks for your help!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

You can get Protecta-pad that will help keep the pads moistened. I've started using a product called Tuff Pads from Thomas Vet Supply on our dogs, especially the lure coursers. The only thing about it is that it will stain anything it gets on while it's wet. No problems once it's dry though. It's very thin liquid that you just spray on their pads a couple times a week - If you order the big bottle of it, you'll want to also order the small spray bottle as well. I was trying to apply it with cotton balls, but my fingers were always stained yellow :rolleyes: It seems to have really helped protect our dogs from torn pads and wear and tear from walking on cement. I also rub some Bag Balm on their pads a couple times a week as well to keep them moist.

Thanks for the info! I just want her to be able to run without getting hurt. Thanks for the warning about stains too. I can apply it out on our cement porch!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds