New Here!

Guest Danisty

Guest Danisty

Hey guys! I've decided to get a second dog. I'm strongly considering getting a retired greyhound. I've never had a greyhound before though so I have a lot to learn before I make this decision. I've read tons of conflicting information, so I'm hoping you guys can set it all straight for me.

I currently have a lab-mix and a cat. Looking through the adoption sites, I see that greyhounds are usually labeled cat-safe or not. Is this reliable? I have read that lazy cats do better with greyhounds because they don't run and therefore don't inspire the dog to chase. If that's the case, I think we may be fine because my cat does little more than lounge all day long.

I have read that greyhounds are actually quite mellow...even lazy. I'm looking for a dog that will be calm indoors and will snuggle on the couch with me so this much seems good to me. I've read conflicting information about what kind of exercise greyhounds need. Some say that they absolutely have to have a fenced yard to run and that the fence must be 6 feet tall, but I've also read that frequent walks will be enough exercise. I can provide the frequent walks but I'm afraid there will be no guarantee about a fenced yard because my husband just joined the Army and it's nearly impossible to predict where we will live.

Is there anything else I need to know about greyhounds? Any quirks or special needs I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!

Welcome from NJ.

Your greyhound will probably sleep more than your cat! You don't need to run them in a fenced yard....you just can't let them offleash unless they ARE in a fenced area.

Check out the different topic areas here and find the answers to most of your questions. Go meet some greys and your decision will be made for you!

Good luck and have fun!

Welcome to GT...Home of some of the best couch potatoes you will ever see :D

There are some incredibly experienced and knowledgable people here on GT and I know you are going to have all your questions answered

We leash walked our greys for years before finally getting our 4ft fence last year (no jumpers in my crew)

Good Luck :wubsite:welcome

Guest loveagrey

Welcome! :wave

If you decide on a greyhound, you'll never regret it. I promise!

We have a cat and a German Shepperd, both of whom were residents before Trap cam home. Greyhounds are cat and small animal tested, and are deemed safe, trainable, or good. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong) Trap was tested as cat safe, and was curious when he came home, but with some correction, learned that the big fat cat was just a good buddy, not a chew toy.

Greys do sleep a LOT. Most are cuddly and uber-affectionate. (Trap is the latter, but not the former :D) A fenced yard is not a necessity, but is nice to have. A couple of good brisk walks throughout the day with do just fine! If you can find a fenced in area to let him/her off leash to have a good run, all the better! Just NEVER let him off leash outside of a securely fenced-in area. One of the best things to teach right off the bat is recall - coming when called. If the dog is fresh off the track, you may have to teach them do stairs and manners in the house. Some learn the stairs, some don't. Trap never did. :rolleyes:

Whatever your decision, I'm gald to see that you're here educating yourself. You've definitely come to the right place to get answers to all your questions. There are some people on here with more information than you'll ever find in a book!

Good luck!

Guest greytful4
:welcome from Northern Virginia here....greyhounds make wonderful companions! Your adoption group that you choose should be able to answer all your questions ! Keep us posted!

Guest Redpack

You'll never find a better couch potato! Don't expect them to keep up with the plot of the tv show! Contacting your local greyhound group is the best advice. They can help you find a grey that fit into your home, both with your other dog and your cat. One of my dogs actually licked the test kitty!

Guest bowiebears

Welcome from the MD 'burbs of DC!

Glad you've joined the group, and are finding out about greys.

I can't really add anything to what others have already said. Just adding to the chorus of happy greyhound people!

--Isaac

Guest Danisty

I just used Animal Planet's breed selector and came up 100% greyhound. I wonder if this is accurate. I answered all the questions honestly.

Guest benson
I can provide the frequent walks but I'm afraid there will be no guarantee about a fenced yard because my husband just joined the Army and it's nearly impossible to predict where we will live.

One thing to keep in mind is most of the privatized military housing limits you to two pets. If you have any desire to live in military housing you should probably wait until you get there. I see many 'free to good home' ads with the explanation they're only allowed 2 pets so they must find a home for the third pet.

:welcome2 DH and I adopted our first greyhound, Celeste, last April. We adopted our second grey, Darcy, in December. We have three indoor cats and didn't have a fenced yard either. Neither was a problem.

Celeste was tested and classified as "cat-safe" by the adoption kennel. We had some concerns at first, but were able to work through them. We had a designated "cat only" area that was blocked off with a babygate. We also supervised Celeste's interactions with the cats and taught her "no kitty" when she got too focused. I'm happy to say all worked out - Celeste basically ignores the cats now. Things were much easier with our 2nd grey, Darcy. Darcy basically took her cues from Celeste when it came to the cats. I bet things will be easier for you too considering you already have a dog and cat living together.

As for energy levels, exercise, etc... our two greys are L-A-Z-Y. Celeste probably spends about 22 hours per day sleeping. Darcy has a bit more energy, but not much. Our greys definitely sleep more than any of our three cats. We take our girls out on 3-4 walks (1/2 mile to 1 mile) per day. We did fence our yard last October with a 5' picket style fence, but prefer taking the girls out on walks. They really only go running in the yard about once a week.

Here are two excellent books that everyone considering a greyhound should get:

Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies

Adopting the Racing Greyhound

In closing... greyhounds make GREYT pets! DH and I just adore our two grey girls.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest BugsBunny

:welcome2

So your after a lazy dog....well you've found the right breed.

Greyhounds ...other common name " couch potato" :lol

You've also found the best website, you'll get loads of greyt advice and just reading the different forums and threads will provide a good picture of what to expect.

Don't forget to :digicam when your new hound arrives...we love pikkies.

Good luck and good choice... :goodluck

Guest Danisty

Thanks a bunch guys! As far as military housing goes, I'm not set on it. I'd rather have great pets than a house on base. :D

Guest neworleansmama

It's important that you work with a good adoption rep who can find the perfect dog for you. I never even saw a picture of my first grey , but the rep was absolutely right that she was perfect for us and we loved her at first sight. Your rep can make sure your dog fits your life and your other pets.

:welcome

Your adoption group will be able to help you find a hound that will be happy to live in a home with your cat! I have 2 cats here and my hounds are great with them. Good luck, greyhounds are wonderful! :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

It depends on the group you adopt from. some require a fence and some don't. My group, GRACE greyhound adoption is based in Michigan doesn't require a fence, but then you also have to be willing to walk your dog 4 times a day. Listen to your rep, they will(or should) be able to tell you what hounds fit in your family. Go by personality first, NOT color...Color should be the last thing you consider when 'picking' out your greyhound...

:welcome2

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Hiya!

Greyhounds are frequently called "The 45 mph Couch Potato" and for good reason.

As others have said, you don't necessarily HAVE to have a fenced yard, but if you don't you need to be prepared to walk them on leash (using a martingale collar or slip lead) several times a day. They can't be off lead outside of a secure area.

Cat-testing isn't always 100% reliable but it does tell a group which dogs are likely to get along with cats and which definitely won't. It's best to take introductions slowly, with the dog on leash and muzzled... just in case. Our boy ignored the cats altogether after a couple of snuffles, while our girl wanted to play with them (and she plays hard!) and it took some time before she was really trustworthy with them. Eventually she learned "No Kitty!" and stopped trying to harass the cats into playing with her. We babygate the dogs when we're gone and always make sure that the cats have a safe place in every room that they can retreat to if they feel unsafe or overwhelmed.

A good book for greyhound newbies is "Adopting the Retired Racing Greyhound" by Cynthia Branigan.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Danisty

Well, I got in contact with an adoption agency in Macon, GA yesterday. That's a few hours away and they said they'd have to find someone in Savannah who could do a home visit and could act as support if I needed it. I sure hope they find someone! I'm really excited!

By the way, would these dogs take to a name-change or do I need to stick with the name they've got? Just curious...lol.

Guest hamiesmom

Hi and welcome. There is a group and here is their website:

www.geocities.com/savannahgrey

You might want to check them out if they are closer to where you live. I kept my boy's name as his whole litter was named after NASCAR drivers. My boy is "Husker Hamilton" and he goes by "Hamie".