Can't Figure Out What's Wrong..

Guest Chels

Guest Chels

Our grey has not been doing well the last 3 weeks. It's making me so sad and frustrated. Her stomach is bloated, she can't keep anything down, diaharrea, really lethargic, has been losing weight and just following me around. She also has a semi-large red bruise or mark on her lower abdomen. I don't know if it's related. Last week we took her into the vet and checked for worms, but that came back negative. Our vet also (I think- my husband took her, so I'm trying to remember all he told me) tested for anemia and checked her kidneys- both came back fine. He put her on a bland diet, but that hasn't helped. My husband called again and they gave some medicine to help her stop vomiting. (And it hasn't helped either). I feel so bad we didn't get her in sooner, she's always had a sensitive stomach, I just didn't catch it in time. I'm so mad at myself!

She's also been suffering from valley fever since we got her at age 3 (she's 7 now). She's been on fluconazole for that and previcox for limping and pain from it in her front leg. We're going to have to go back to the vet, but I'm getting really worried in the meantime. Any ideas?! :(

Guest Chels

No we haven't done that. She does get ticks occassionally, where as our other grey never does. I will have to jot that down and ask about it. Thanks!

Some additional reading on the subject:

http://www.geocities.com/bo_freddy/ticks.html

"The two most common TBD's in greyhounds are ehrlichiosis and babesiosis. The two diseases are different from each other in the actual form of infection but are very similar in most other ways. They both are cyclical, like malaria, with three primary stages. In the early stage (acute) the dog commonly (but not always) becomes quite ill with flu-like symptoms and sometimes unresponsive diarrhea. This may go on for a few weeks or a few months until either the immune system builds up enough antibodies to fight it to a standoff or the dog dies. If the dog survives thanks to a good immune response, the disease will then go into a sort of dormant stage (subclinical), usually with no symptoms showing. This stage may go on for years; in fact the dog might never be sick from it again in its' lifetime. However, some dogs will exhibit seemingly unrelated or mysterious problems that can baffle many veterinarians, leading to inconclusive tests, incorrect diagnoses and unsuccessful treatments. And sometimes the symptoms will disappear as mysteriously as they appeared. Until the third (chronic) stage. At this time the dog may become seriously ill overnight or gradually, again confusing the veterinarian who is not familiar with these diseases. Usually, the dog dies in this stage and if not (due to treatment at this time), damage may be irreparable. "

http://www.greyhoundadoptiontx.org/needs/saticks.shtml

"Has your Greyhound ever experienced any of the following:

* high fever

* depression or lethargy

* anorexia

* anemia

* diarrhea or constipation

* loss of appetite or loss of body weight

* vomiting

* nose bleeds, skin hemorrhage or any other unusual bleeding

* swollen legs or lymph nodes

* nervous system disorders, such as stiff gait, head tile, seizures or twitching

* pale gums and/or inner eye membranes

If any of these symptoms or conditions apply to your dog, it is important that you know about recent findings of tick-borne diseases affecting Greyhounds all over the U.S. ProtaTek Reference Laboratory has performed serologic testing for tick-borne diseases on over 10,000 Greyhounds since March, 1995. Findings revealed that some 40% of these animals are silent, asymptomatic carriers of at least one or more tick-borne disease agents."

As an aside, if your vet sends out a sample for analysis, it'll probably come here, to Chandler, AZ, where ProtaTek's reference lab is.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Chels

Thank you so much! I'm printing this out to show to my husband and vet. Maybe now I can get some sleep with a couple things to focus on. Thank you!

Definitely get another vet opinion.

Greyt Health has articles written by dr suzanne stack about greyhounds.

one of those articles is tick diseases. print it out.

or email me at claudia@greyhoundgang.org - and then i can send you files of information to give to your vet.

I would also suggest that with all the meds she is on, you may need to revisit dosage etc. they could be making things worse.

Itraconozole is I believe a less harsh med for Valley Fever - i can send you files on that too.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Chels

So, we are going to the vet in an hour for a blood draw to run a tick panel and I'm also brining in another sample to double check for worms. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the help!

Good thoughts for your girl :hope It can't hurt to have another vet check her out also.

Ditto on BOTH. Keep us posted.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Chels

She died. She was only 7. I brought her home from the vet. Then I went out to do errands. My husband said he came home from work, she was jumping around to greet him, then she collapsed. She had her last few breaths in his arms. Our poor Meadow.

Oh no!!!! I am so sorry to read this. :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

How awful!! I'm so sorry for you and your husband.

Run free, sweet Meadow :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Chels

Oh my gosh you guys, this is so awful, I am just so sad and mad and all kinds of feelings. Poor Franklin is laying on her bed. He was our 2nd grey, so he's never been separated from Meadow for more than a few hours at most. Do you think he'll be okay? I feel so guilty, and frustrated and I didn't even get to say good-bye. I am still in shock just waiting for her to run down the hall and jump on the couch next to me.

Franklin will be just fine, you can all rely on each other for strength when needed. I'm so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm just heartbroken thinking about what you are going through....godspeed, Meadow!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)