Feeling Like A Crummy Hound Mom.

Guest AlmondJoy

Guest nerak254

The last couple of years suck. :headwall There's really no other way to put it besides that. I got laid off again for the 3rd time in 2 years this last week, with 2 of those being within the last 6 months!. I got evicted last fall because Missy was so upset about Jessica going to the bridge. I have no insurance again, my car window motor broke so I have it duck taped up so it won't slide down into the door again; I'm told that it's a $500 fix.:headwall I've likened the last couple of years like trying to put forest fires out with a candle snuffer or the trick candles you put on someone's birthday cake. :headwall I could go on.

In February I was lucky enough to have Missy's littermate join us. She was returned because the family's son went to college and she wasn't convenient anymore. :mum About a month ago I thought she had a impacted anal glad and took her to the vet. Turns out it's a mass and the vet I took her to wants about $900 to remove it. We went to our regular vet today and he did a needle biopsy and wasn't happy about what he saw and agreed that it needs to be taken care of - $600 from him. He said that the good news is that the rectum isn't involved so it could be worse. Meanwhile, Missy is way more than in need to have her teeth cleaned but it's had to wait because of Jessica's bills and the job stuff. I'd hoped that what Aruba needs could wait so Missy could finally get taken care of. And today with exams for both, shots for Aruba, and her biopsy was $380! Robbing a bank holds some appeal at this moment.

When they took her away to do the biopsy, I didn't hear a peep from her. Missy on the other hand made sure that everyone in the place knew she wasn't pleased about getting poked for her Heartworm test. They told me that when they want around where she couldn't see there wasn't anymore drama. When the vet came in to the room and was doing something with Aruba, she gave him stink eye enough that he asked her what was up. :rolleyes:

Aruba is finally starting to relax a little. I spoke to the person who did her adoption and learned some about where she's been and it sounds sad in a way. It helps to understand why she's not relaxed. Let us just say it includes white carpet..... :youcrazy

I think I'll go put my head under the pillow now and try to figure out what to do tomorrow. I think Scarlett was right and tomorrow is another day.

Edited by nerak254

Guest greyhounder

Will your vet let you make payments?

When we were in college (poor) one of our cats needed a $1500 surgery. My vet allowed us to sign a contract that they could automatically charge our debit card a percentage per month. We spaced it out over 6 months which helped a lot. We were established with her already, though, so she trusted us not to go and close the account.

We actually followed that vet when she opened her won clinic. It's a 45 minute drive each way, but when we got a greyhound and I asked her if she was familiar with them, she told me of her 15 yr old grey she had just PTS the month before.. ... sorry.. off topic, I know.. :blush

First, HUGS! Second, take a deep breath....they are still happy and getting the best care you can provide. Can you look into care credit? I've never used it, but others on here have. Whatever you decide, you'll do it with your dogs best intentions in mind. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Sorry you're having such a hard time. Sounds like you're doing the best for your pups though. I don't know how old Missy is, but if her teeth aren't in terrible shape (ie. they just need cleaning, not extractions or anything like that) why not start working on them at home? I know not everyone is immediately comfortable with the idea, but feeding raw bones can do wonders for teeth. That, combined with daily brushing, might be enough to avoid or at least postpone the dental so you can take care of the mass removal.

If you need more convincing ;) , I've posted other places that Neyla came off the track at 4 1/2 with horrible teeth. Vet ordered dental but we waited and started feeding chicken backs for dinner. At our next exam, she got the all clear on her teeth. She's 8 now, and has never had a dental (and I've never brushed her teeth).

I now feed an all raw diet, but for that first year, I fed Canidae in the morning and chicken backs in the evening. You can get chicken backs by the case at Whole Foods for $0.79/lb. A case (40 lbs) would last Neyla nearly two months so for about $15/month (less the cost of the kibble you would have been feeding) you can have clean teeth. Something to think about.

I hope everything works out. I'll be hoping you win the lottery (as I wish it for myself as well, even though I don't play the lottery). :P

Jen

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

Sometimes it seems like an ongoing cycle of crap doesn't it? I'm relatively close to you in miles. Why don't you PM me. I use bones for my dogs teeth, and none of them have had to have a dental. You can have some of our bones. I worked multiple jobs to get my head above water when I had my own saga going. I found temp agencies a decent way to get an idea about a company before taking on a job that might not be really suited for me. Not the pay scale you're looking for I'm sure, but might be a step in the right direction. The Universe is saying something to you, just not sure what. Pretty big greyhound community in the Twin Cities - maybe your adoption group has some leads for you as well? Hope you write. :gh_face Carole

Guest DoofBert

Sorry to things are hitting all at once.

Take a deep breath and hugs your hounds.

We use bones for doggie dental care as well....has worked wonders for Tessa. She had one dental each year for the first two years she was with us... We've been using the RMB for two year.... no dental required!

Good luck!

Guest ohgreyt

I'm sorry. I'm a firm believer in "when it rains it pours". I can totally relate to issues with jobs, car, house repair, and vet bills. I'm sinking pretty fast in the money situation. Good luck to you and hope that you will find a bigger candle snuffer soon.

Guest needlenoselover

I know how you feel. Your drowning and no one is throwing you a life preserver. I have been there. All I can say is tomorrow is another day. Everything happens for a reason, even though we may not know it. And it will get better. It can't be this way all the time, can it?

Hug your hounds, throw them a turkey neck to clean their teeth, and thank doG that you have a community like this to vent to.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:f_pink:f_white:bighug:bighug:bighug

Edited by needlenoselover

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

You have come to the right place for advice. I know I have been there as well and ironically had the same window problem that you stated. Just got mine fixed after having it duc taped for a couple months (lovely isn't it?). I shopped around after being told it would be $400 to fix the window and finally got it fixed for $200.

I use Care Credit myself and find it to be a life saver with my pups, IF your vet accepts it. If not, then I would look into getting a credit card just dedicated to taking care of emergency vet bills only.

I learned a little something myself reading through the advice here and I'm sure there will be more to come.

Take a deep breath, you are doing fine just take one day at a time. Hugs to you and your pups.

Care Credit--depending on the deal your vet has with them, and the amount of the charge, the balance will be interest free for 6 to 18 months.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest nerak254
I'm sorry. I'm a firm believer in "when it rains it pours". I can totally relate to issues with jobs, car, house repair, and vet bills. I'm sinking pretty fast in the money situation. Good luck to you and hope that you will find a bigger candle snuffer soon.

I'm hoping you find one too!

I am so sorry and I know how you feel. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.