Junior's Paw Boo-boo

Guest GreytKids

Guest GreytKids

(This is Mrs Greytkids -- it's usually Mr Greytkids that surfs the pages here. But he shows me all of the greyt pictures and fun videos!)

Our Junior Boy is going to have to have surgery tomorrow morning to remove a toenail. Dr. Meadows, former track vet at Corpus Christi, will be taking care of our special patient.

Over the weekend, Mr Greytkids noticed that there was a discoloration on one of the toenails of Junior's forefoot. After I looked at it more closely, I noticed that the toe it was attached to was red and tender. We called to try to get in to the vet on Saturday but had missed our window of opportunity, so we got an appointment for today after work.

Dr. Meadows said that it is not uncommon for Greyhounds to injure their nails, especially if they dig in when they run like Gable Junior over here. After looking at it tonight he showed us that the nail is cracked all the way under the skin, so the redness could be a small pool of blood in addition to the inflammation and pain he is surely feeling. :( Removing the toenail under general anesthetic is the solution.

We are both a little nervous about Junior going under (he is 8 and a half, after all) but if anyone knows about Greyhounds and anesthesia, it's Dr. Meadows.

Please send some healing thoughts his way. We are thinking them too but I know we'll be up all night worrying about this so a few extra beams of white light will certainly help.

We'll keep you all updated on his progress. Thanks!!

Healing thoughts and lots of cookies coming Junior's way!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest GreytKids

Just an Update,

Junior made it through great yesterday. When the vet got him under and was able to take a good look at his paw, he found out that it was a fungal infection. Good news is that his toenail did not have to come out after all. They gave us some solution to flush the nailbed out with twice a day. Thanks for the good wishes!