Milky Way's Dental

Milky Way and I have been through several dentals together (he's almost 7)but today was just different.

Last night I couldn't sleep well and this morning I was just nervous and not feeling confident, I suppose I was having a 6th sense sorta thing. However, I kept telling myself things will be fine. I scheduled his dental a month ago and on Friday we went to pick up his antibiotics. Well I get there this morning and the receptionist says she doesn't have him on the schedule. I scheduled a month ago,we where there Friday for the antibiotic pick up and I got a call Friday reminding me about the dental. Ok she says and they take him saying they aren't that busy plus we have been customers there for so long. That was at 7am.

At 9am the vet calls, not the normal one, and said some funny things were showing up in his blood work, his creatine levels were high and his platelet count was a bit low and she wanted to run some other tests before doing the dental, of course I said ok.

At 11am a tech calls and said the other tests turned out fine so things were in the GO.

2pm Vet calls and says they just had to pull 3 teeth, ok no biggie I was prepared for that.

4:00 pm Vet calls and says they are having trouble waking Milky Way up and his heart rate was a bit unstable, my heart dived into my stomach. Never in my life have I felt such panic, I ran out of a Staff development session without saying a word. I got to the vets about 5pm. I was over an hour away but I hauled butt and if a cop was going to try to give me a ticket for speeding he was going to have to chase me to the vets and arrest me.

A Nurse came out to talk to me and said he's stable but still really shaky. They bring him out to me and he just didn't look right. I've seen him through several dentals and I knew he just didn't look good so the nurse took him back to the back and let the vet take a look at him again. They kept him and monitored him till 6pm when they close. The vet said he seemed ok, his vitals were good but he was just still sorta out of it. I got him home and when DH tried to get him out of the car he snapped at him(NEVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE) so we muzzled him and brought him in, he's just so out of it. His mouth is bleeding a bit where one of the larger teeth came but he's sleeping for now and has been sleeping since we got home an hour ago.

I'm not leaving his side tonight and I've got the e-vet on speed dial. am I over-reacting?

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest WarmheartedPups

I think you are doing really really well!!! I wouldnt leave his side either. Sometimes it will take

awhile for the anesthesia to wear off...I am sure he will be better in a few hours.

I am so sorry you guys are going through this.

I don't know if you're overreacting or not, but I would do exactly what you're doing...watching his every breath and ready to call if necessary :grouphug :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest smarthound

You're not overreacting. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. If you lived closed, I'd come over and sit with you. I hope he feels better soon.

You are doing the right thing. Keep a close eye on him and he will probalby be close to his old self tomorrow.

You trust these vets, I assume.

They would not have let him come home if there was an issue.

Prayers and hugs coming your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just keep doing what you feel is right. You've seen him after a dental before, and know him and what is his normal behaviour. He'll probably be okay, but keep an eye on him.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Trust your gut and stay by his side. I would do exactly as you are doing! :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope:hope

I agree! Flash is always out of it when he comes home and last time he barked ALL night long. :blush He is never himself for at least 4 days after. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How is he doing? That is scary. Good thoughts coming your way for you and the pup.

Beledi

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Winterwish

Milky Way is in my thoughts and prayers! I can imagine how scarey this has been for you! :grouphug Hoping for Milky Way's being more awake this morning and more himself. :hope:hope

I'm waiting to hear as well... No news good news? I hope!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Milky Way is doing fine. I'm so sorry I haven't been able to update. I was at work then we went by the vets this afternoon.

Last night he slept through most of the night but woke up at about 3:30am really aggitated and in a bit of pain. I calmed him down by rubbing his head , then I mashed up a pain pill and placed it in some turkey and got him to eat just a bit. I then got him up to go outside and go potty which he clearly needed to since it came out like Niagra Falls. Then he went back inside and went to sleep. This morning I called the vets since he was still a bit unstable on his feet and they said not to panic as long as he was pottying, drinking, and seemed coherent it wasn't an emergeny and to bring him when I got off work. Well of course when I got home Milky Way was running thorugh the house and playing with his toys like nothing had happened. I still brought him to the vets just is case and they said he was good to go. Right now he just finished his dinner and is chillin out beside me.

I want to thank each and every one of you for you PM's and all your prayers. I've never really been in the situation to need the power of greytalk before but thank goodness it's here when you need it. This place is an amzing support system of people who's heart's are as big as an endless ocean. Thank you!!!

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc