Best Glucosamine

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

We're starting to see signs of arthritis in 6yo Ladygirl--she's licking her shoulders and one hip, and is starting to think before she jumps over/onto/off of things. We'll get her in for X-rays in the next few days (don't worry; we're not concerned that it's osteo or anything other than arthritis), but I'm looking for glucosamine brands to try.

We need a pill or a chewable--nothing to sprinkle on her food. The reason for this is that we hand-feed our dogs, one kibble at a time, so there really isn't anything to sprinkle on! Otherwise I'd always start with Get Up & Go.

We forewent glucosamine for Nelly (her mom) in favor of Adequan injections--but Nelly's arthritis is *severe,* and she's had it since she was a puppy, due to a shattered hip. I'm not sure Ladygirl would welcome all those trips to the vet.

So... suggestions? I know Doc will recommend Cosequin, but we'd like to save some money, if there's no compelling reason to go with the pricier brand.

Thanks!

(One blessing in Whistler's life was that he never, even at almost 13 years, had any traces of arthritis. :))

Guest jade1046

Our angel Felicia had to have glucosamine after she had surgery for a blown-out knee. The vet charged about $49 per bottle per month's supply, so I did some research on-line and found these Glucosamine - seemed to be the most cost effective per dosage. We gave her one in the morning and one in the evening. Since Felicia is gone, I've been giving them to my Minnie who just turned 6 years old and isn't as active as she used to be - I figure it won't do any harm! Minnie is VERY picky about what she'll eat and she has no problem munching these chewable tabs. Good luck!

I tried a number of different brands/types of glucosamine/chondroitin, and saw a noticable difference using the CosaquinDS. I don't get it from my vet, tho :) I can usually find it online for about $39/120 chewables. By all means, try the less expensive ones first, they work fine for some dogs!

Guest smarthound

Our vet suggested GLYCO-FLEX III SOFT CHEWS. Our dogs LOVE them. They're not cheap but they would solve the pill problem. I've ordered through Petmeds.com but there may be better prices out there.

Our vet suggested GLYCO-FLEX III SOFT CHEWS. Our dogs LOVE them. They're not cheap but they would solve the pill problem. I've ordered through Petmeds.com but there may be better prices out there.

I've used the same thing - both in the soft chews and also the regular chewables, and my fussy crew ate them happily. I usually buy them from KV Vet as their prices are among the best, and shipping is free. I just ordered a different brand from entirelypets.com, which is virtually identical to the Glyco Flex III but less expensive. If the pack won't eat them, I'll return them and go back to the GF III. I like the fact that it contains everything (glucosamine 1000mg, MSM, chondroitin, Vit C, anti-oxidants, etc.) in a large enough dose that I don't have to give 2-3 tabs/day. My dogs won't eat if gluc. powder is sprinkled on their food, so I have to opt for chewables.

ETA - JointMax is what I just ordered.

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

I bought a bottle of the Kirkland brand that has 750mg of Glucosamine HCI and 600mg of Chondroitin Sulfate in each pill. They say that the pills are similar to Move Free Triple Strength. So far all three of mine will eat the pills like candy, even though they are not chewable forms! I just shake the bottle and they all come running for their "treat" each morning! Does it matter that I did not buy a specific brand? Specky had been having some crying issues, and after X-rays and an exam the vet wanted me to give her a supplement. The crying stopped, and she seems fine now. She has only just turned four years old, but she did have a shoulder injury that ended her brief career. (3 whole races!) She is also a very big whiney butt - she cries just for the fun of it if you know what I mean. I figured that since I was giving the pills to her, they could not hurt Gizzy who is turning five next month, and Riley who is turning four.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

• 1 month later...
Guest Baloos_Mom

I have been told that the brand SynoviCre is the best??? I have not tried it yet personally but am thinking I might. We have a few dogs in the rescue that need to get on something better than what they have been on. Anyone heard of this one?

Guest figbykal

I actually use a liquid brand that has to be stored in the refrigerator. It is called Liquid Health K-9 Glucosamine/chondroitin. It has like 1600 mg of glucosamine and 1200 of chondroitin along with MSM. Since it is a liquid I just dispense what I need on top of their food twice a day. It works because I have noticed a difference in our older greys gait. Here is a link: http://www.liquidhealthinc.com/prodInterior.php?prodID=6 . I think I pay 31.00 per bottle and it lasts about a month (with two greyts).

K :)

Guest budsmom

I use Missing Link Plus with mine, but I know my vet sells and highly recommend the Synovi. I have also seen that in the KV Vet catalog, which I'm sure is cheaper than the vet.

Guest Baloos_Mom
Look at the Springtime products. The Joint Health has it all in there. Tootsie likes them better than Fresh Factors, although she eats them both :)

www.springtimeinc.com

OK. I am now sold on this one after reading about it. I just order a bunch...so I hope it works well. I got sucked in by all the buy this and get that free stuff. :lol

Mine get Joint Health and Fresh Factors from Springtime, both are chewables.

Joint Health

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I don't have any advice about capsule supplements, but wanted to add that you can use natural sources, like chicken feet or beef trachea/gullet as well. You would need to give a whole lot of it, so I wouldn't use them to replace the supplements you are giving, but perhaps in addition as a little treat sometimes.

I get the chicken feet at oriental grocery stores, and the trachea/gullet you can order online here: http://www.greentripe.com/.

I'm now the official GT "alternative feeding" weirdo. :lol:

I don't have any advice about capsule supplements, but wanted to add that you can use natural sources, like chicken feet or beef trachea/gullet as well. You would need to give a whole lot of it, so I wouldn't use them to replace the supplements you are giving, but perhaps in addition as a little treat sometimes.

I get the chicken feet at oriental grocery stores, and the trachea/gullet you can order online here: http://www.greentripe.com/.

:lol

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Yeah, but you're a GOOD weirdo :lol :lol :lol -- thanks for the link, was wanting a source for dried tripe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Hannah

Fluffy is on seraquin which is a mix of glucosamine, chondrin and something else good for the joints and a magic ingredient. its doing her the world of good and she is moving around much better :yay

The vet said they were chewable

I laughed

The vet nurse said they were chewable

I said I would believe it when I saw it

I phoned the vets back to tell them they were dangerous tablets and needed a health warning on them, oh and by the way they were not chewable.

the vets receptionist was amazed

I told her that Fluffy loved the tablets. the magic ingredient is yeast extract. the only problem is she loved the tablets so much she was starting to nip my fingers/hand when I gave it to her such was her enthusiasm for her medication. so now it goes in her bowl - for my safety.

and no she doesnt chew them, they get swallowed whole :eek:lol

the vets receptionist laughed and laughed and said she would pass on the warning.

www.healthypets.com has good prices for CosequinDS, or at least compared to my vet.

This is where I order from also. We get the chewable CosequinDS, but they also carry pills (capsules)

Edited by starr

Willie (Whistle Williams) 1/19/2004

Silly (Hy Silhouette) 2/18/96 - 7/4/09

Harry (Jnb Harris) 4/5/96 - 11/19/06

Kindred Spirits Greyhound Adoption

Guest bona60

Does anyone know the difference between glucosamine chondroitan (sp) and glucosamine Sulfate. The later is available at Puritans Pride 800-645 9584 About a month ago it was on sale for $9.54 for 3 bottles each with 60 capsules. This was a buy one get two free.