Forbes Big Mac

retiredracers

I just received an email from my friend, Jo telling me that their beloved 7 1/2 year old greyhound, Barney, died suddenly on Friday from mesenteric torsion. They went to work on Friday morning and he was fine. When Jo's husband came home later, Barney was gone. The vet told them that there wouldn't have been anything they could have done even if they had been home. It is just sooooo shocking. I saw him just a few weeks ago and he was so vibrant and full of life.

In December 2004, Jo rode with Greg and I down to Florida to pick Barney up from a farm where he was being kept. They had his littermate and contacted the racing owner who was happy that he had a home waiting for him when he retired. Jo walked up to the pen where he was kept and Barney stood up on his hind legs and looked over the concrete wall at her and her mouth just dropped open and she got this "What have I gotten myself into" look on her face.... Barney was a BIG boy weighing about 92 pounds and standing about 31 inches at the shoulder. We still tease Jo about the look on her face when she saw him. He had a huge overbite so he had a hard time picking up the last couple of pieces of kibble from his bowl and taking treats... you had to kinda "feed" them into his mouth.

Barney's littermate, Madison, is a spook and having Barney around seemed to help her a lot. I am sure that she is missing him as much as him mom and dad are.

Run fast and free, sweet Barney.

Barney2.jpg

This picture is from his 7th birthday party in January '07.

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest bowiebears

I am so sorry to hear this.

Condolences to Barney's family!

One day, we'll all meet again at The Bridge.

--Isaac

My deepest condolences to Barney's grieving family and all those whose hearts were touched by this handsome sweetie. :grouphug Godspeed, Barney... run like the wind with our angels. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry. Run free big guy...and send your family beautiful Rainbow. :grouphug:f_redf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest nlochansky

Barney was one of my all time favorite dogs. Such a big sweet goof of a boy. I was so sad when I got the news.

Run free at the bridge sweet Barney :angelwings:gh_run2:angelwings

My condolences to Barney's family and all that knew him :f_white:f_white:f_white

Guest DoofBert

Godspeed Barney! Run fast and free!

So many new angels..... words cannot express the sorrow we feel

Edited by DoofBert

:cry1f_yellow:grouphug Please pass my condolences on to Barney's family.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I'm sorry.

Godspeed, handsome boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest amazinggreys

I'm Barney's mom. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

As you know, there's simply no easy way to lose a beloved pet. This was so out of the blue that we are just shocked and devastated. He was extra cool because he was soooo big! I called him "The Beast" and the "crowd pleaser," bragged on him constantly, and emailed pictures to all of our friends and family in excess. "Look at Barney in his birthday hat, look at Barney with his sister, look at Barney sleeping in the bed, look at Barney snuggly with his "girlfriend" Lola the brindle . . . "

My sister summed up his life beautifully in a card I received yesterday. "Barney was such a unique dog who captured everyone's heart! We are going to miss him terribly! He was a very lucky dog . . . who else could brag about their great career and their wonderful retirement; hanging out with his sister, beautiful girlfriend, and two very special owners who loved him with all their hearts. What a life!"

I have no regrets. He (and the rest of the pack) received a hundred kisses everyday. He was never scolded (even when he chewed the corners off the coffee and end tables; the damage was done), was never made to get out the bed if he was hogging, and never went a day without me telling him that I loved him. He was also a great ambassador for the breed by serving as an unofficial pet therapy dog at our local nursing home with weekly visits.

Thanks again and I hope everyone will give their hounds extra kisses tonight.