Sent Whistler To The Bridge Last Night

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

I'm not sure I can type this all again, so I'm just going to copy & paste the email I sent my parents:

We had another chance to visit Whistler yesterday afternoon. It was a really good visit--he knew we were there, and he was comfortable and alert and cuddly. We probably spent an hour with him. The little room/cell where they had him was a little bigger than his crate--just enough room for him and one of us to squeeze in beside him. He was all heaped up on a pile of comforters and blankets, and I do think he seemed cozy the entire time he was there. Doc sent him to the hospital in a big floofy comforter, and he had that the whole time. Unfortunately, after going into shock Friday morning, he was never able to stand up again.

When we left yesterday afternoon, his doctor was cautiously optimistic that we'd still be able to bring him home, if they could get him up. Unfortunately, a couple hours later they did another blood count, and it had dropped to 21. It had dropped steadily from the initial transfusion (before the transfusion he was at 34, then the transf. got him to 38, but then it dropped to 30, then 28, then finally to 21), and he told me that 14 is the lowest it can go w/o causing death. He said that at 20 they would normally call for a second blood transfusion, but since they were never able to stop the *initial* bleeding (and because bleeding is what those kinds of tumors do), there didn't seem to be any reason to do that. I asked him what he would do, if it were his dog (transfusion or wait), and he said, "I'd put him down." (I wanted to add that this doctor was *wonderful*--he was always kind and honest, and fought hard for him, even though he'd never seen him before yesterday.)

We were so conflicted--we knew the time had come, but we didn't know whether to do it right away, or wait overnight and have a second nice visit with him. The last time we'd seen him he was happy and alert; the doctor said he wasn't in any pain... I just hated the idea of putting a happy, alert dog to sleep! But we told ourselves/each other that we could change our minds at any time--we could visit and see him and then decide, or we could say "not yet," and get to the cars and change our minds--anything.

But when we got to the hospital, and asked the vet tech if there had been any change, she nodded. When we saw him, he was not aware we were there, and his whole stomach had turned red and bruisey from the bleeding. It was obvious. Thank God.

We sat with him for 15-20 minutes, and then one of the techs came over and asked us if we'd made a decision, and Chris went with her to fill out the paperwork, and I stayed with Whistler. He was never aware I was there.

It was pretty peaceful; we were right there petting him, and stayed a few minutes after, and then we took a long walk outside. It was a beautiful night. And then we came home and cuddled with the other guys. I'm not sure how much or what they understand; we've let them smell all our clothes and shoes that were at the hospital with Whistler. Nelly has seemed really down the last couple of days, but that could be b/c we left her in her crate 6 times. Flint and Ladygirl seem a little lost--Flint has a whole routine of seeing if Whistler has something he wants, and it's thrown off his rhythm. Ladygirl just seems... not herself.

There's so much I want to say to my GT family, so many good memories here--from Burpdog biscuits when our puppies were born (I still don't know who sent them!!), to your advice on getting Whistler to eat, and getting his LSS treated (which we think gave him a really *good* last year with us). Whistler was our only greyhound, and it's going to seem really strange not to have a long dog here with us, hogging the sofa and sleeping in doorways. But we had him nearly 7 years, and they were all good.

Those of you who knew Whistler will remember my old icon (him and a tiny Ladygirl kissing him), but for those of you who joined GT in more recent years, here's a picture of our Old Man:

http://tinyurl.com/39oqlf

Edited by Greensleeves

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry! f_yellow Run free Whistler!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so sorry this was the outcome. Whistler is one handsome boy, and is greytly loved. He will be missed. Run with the Angels Whistler you are with some of the very best.

Take comfort in knowing your sweet boy is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind. We all share your sorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest argolola

I am sobbing as I read about your precious boy and look at his picture. How terribly sad that he had to leave, but the silver lining is that you could be with him until the end. I'm sure he knew you were there. How blessed you all were to have each other.

You will be in my prayers.

Edited by argolola

I'm sorry, Stephanie. Condolences to you and DH and all your pack.

Whistler, what a family you put together! You did your job here so well. Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I do so love the Prince and the Pea picture. What is it about a pile of beds that simply begs them to climb on up?

Time is such a precious commodity. It seems like we are continually shortchanged with it when it comes to our hounds. Our deepest condolences from our family to yours. :paw

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Godspeed, sweet man. You will be missed....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest OBXDreamin

I'm so sorry to hear about your baby. It truly is hard to make that kind of decision, but it sounds like he was very peaceful and I think you did the best thing for him. We have just lost one of our hounds, sadly she was hit by a car, so my heart hurts with you. It seems we just don't know how much of a part of the family they become. Some people say, it is just a dog. They truly haven't lived if they have not had the love of a dog. Lottie and Whistler can explore over the Rainbow together.

Charro and Lottie's mom

Guest Winterwish

Oh I'm so very sorry Greensleeves. :weep :weep I never met your sweet Whistler,but could tell he was a real sweetheart from how you write about him. Whistler is a part of you and your pack,and one wondrous day you'll all be able to run and play with him forever. Sending my deepest sympathies to you. :grouphug

Run and play free dear Whistler angel ~ :candle:f_white:f_pink:gh_lay:f_pink:f_white:candle

I am sorry. Run fast and race the wind sweetheart. You are loved and missed by all of us. :grouphug:f_red

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your handsome boy. :grouphug I'm sure he was welcomed at the Bridge by all of our Bridge angels, and is once again running like the wind on his new wings. :beatheart Godspeed, sweet Whistler...

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.