Alopecia?

Guest neenieca

Guest Emma0422

That picture of Penny could be my Emma! She looks just the same. No hair on her belly or her butt. We've tried different supplements to no avail, so we've just come to terms with our bald girl. :-) If I were you, I would not be putting any sort of cream on her. Unless the hair loss is due to a thyroid issue, there's no need to put anything on it. It's likely a waste of money and time. Sounds like your vet isn't that grey savvy. Ours isn't the most savvy grey vet either, but he did know that baldness on a grey is perfectly normal.

Guest neenieca

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. You've been most enlightening! And BooMooandDoo - all I can say is WOW! Those are some furry puppies you've got there. Swoon. :wub: Thanks for posting the pics.

Bald here too although Beau has a light fuzz on his belly. Has this vet seen greys before or is yours the experiement?

I don't mean that to sound the way it probably came out.

Quite alright - I understand how you meant it. :) We're definitely not the experiment greyhound. She was recommended to me a year ago by a couple with two hounds, and another friend with 2 hounds recently saw her as well. She also said that she went to Washington State which has a good greyhound program. (Is that true? I don't know.) I really, really, really don't like the vet we've taken Penny to since we've had her, who was recommended to us by our group, but I haven't had the nerve to go elsewhere until now. This vet was the only other vet nearby who we know has treated greyhounds (none of the other's on our groups' list are nearby), and I liked her so much - but in light of your comments, I'm not sure what to do now. Would you go back to her?

I have to share this too, since I know you all will understand how I feel. In Jan, DH and I each found a small spot of ringworm on our arms/legs. We took Penny to the vet for this (the vet I don't like), figuring that she must have it too. He basically rolled his eyes at us and shrugged it off saying that we probably didn't get it from her and that he didn't see any spots on her. I told this new vet yesterday about the ringworm and another spot that I recently found on my elbow, and within 5 min, she had a Wood's lamp in the room to look at both my elbow and all over Penny. (When the lamp hits ringworm, the ringworm flouresces.) Well...Penny's entire behind glowed green!!! :angryfire Has she had this since January? I felt like the worst owner ever for believing our other vet. Is a good vet who knows greyhounds really so hard to find??

Jennie

I wouldn't instantly write off your vet. Let her know what you found out -- that it seems to be a common, nondisease thing for greyhounds. Who knows, maybe all greyhounds she's seen up to this point have looked like Mazie.

My vets haven't previously seen everything my greyhounds have presented, but I research and ask questions and we learn together. Seems to work pretty well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.