Need Emergency Prayers For Whistler

Guest Greensleeves

Guest paulamariez

I'm so sorry to hear about Whistler. I know what a shock something like this can be. We had a similar situation when we found out our first greyhound had bone cancer. We had no idea he had it until he went out to do his business one morning and his back leg broke. I'm sending lots of love, light, prayers for healing and tons of doggie kisses from my three hounds to you and yours.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending all good thoughts for lovely Whistler :candle

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

:cry1 Oh Stephanie! :grouphug :grouphug

22357cfa.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Sending prayers for your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Champsmom

My prayers are with you for a safe and fast recovery for your pupper ,as I have also been having the week from HELL

Guest Greensleeves

Whistler Update

First, thank you all very, very much for your prayers!! Whistler has actually rallied some, and was alert and cuddly when we went to visit him. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It started about 8 am this morning, with a collision between Whis and another family member. Whis let out the GSoD, and then thrashed and flailed horribly, crying and yelling. He stood up for a few moments, all hunched and in obvious pain, and then lay down while DH and I got dressed to take him to the vet. By the time we were ready, Whistler was non-responsive, and his gums were grey. We had to carry him to the car.

Our vets got him stabilized, and found blood in his abdomen, so they sent us to the e-vets for an ultrasound and possible blood transfusion. The ultrasound came back: cancer, everywhere--liver, spleen, abdominal cavity, basically every major organ... although the vet said that it didn't appear to be compromising his organ functions--but that they were fairly certain one of the tumors had ruptured, causing the internal bleeding. They told us they could give him ONE blood transfusion (for a senior dog with an obviously terminal illness), and hope that he stabilized. His red count was at 34 (which is in the normal range for other breeds, but about 15-20% lower than typical for greys). We stopped in to visit him, and he was still very shocky and really didn't seem to know we were there, except for the briefest little moment. I asked the vet, "Is he dying right this minute?" The answer: Yes. They told us to go home, and they would check back with us in a few hours. That was about 11:30.

When we called back, about 2:30 (we called at 1:30, and had to call again b/c they didn't return our call yet), the doctor told us it was time to come in and say goodbye and send him to the bridge. He wanted to do one more blood count to see if there was any improvement, but we left the house ready to euthanize (as ready as you can ever be). As we were leaving, our regular vets called and we gave them the news, and asked them to let one of their former techs (who just left last month) know.

When we got there, though, the receptionist bustled over and said, "The doctor is coming out to speak with you, but there's actually been some improvement with Whistler since he talked to you!!"

His blood count had gone from 34 to 38--which is NOT as good as he would have hoped, but is within "normal" range for dogs, so....? But his color was still bad and his breathing was still rapid and shallow. But he'd been up and about and was alert... and when WE went to see him, he looked almost normal! Obviously in pain, but he knew who we were and let us cuddle him--and even was strong enough to ask for more cuddles if we paused for a moment.

So. I don't know what that was--a few hours' reprieve, maybe, or sign that he's going to be well enough to come home and stay with us for a few more days/weeks/whatever. I don't want to get my hopes up--but I am very grateful for the "good" hour we spent with him. It gave me a little more closure than I was feeling--it's been so sudden and totally out of the blue. We just had no clue--he had no symptoms at all.

DH says to thank you all for him & Whistler--in his words, "The only thing that changed between the time we left him and the time we got back was that you asked the Greytalkers to pray for him."

So we're all just thrown for a loop here--our schedule is totally out of whack, and I'm not sure what to do about the rest of the pack. They've been able to smell all our clothes with Whistler's scent on them, so hopefully they understand some of what's going on. The last thing we asked was if they could give Whistler some pain medicine, and although I got the feeling they didn't think it would do any good, and they wanted to be especially careful b/c he's a grey, they agreed to a low does of Morphine drip, and a Fentanyl patch that will last us through Wednesday.

It's going to be a rough few days here--DH has to go on a business trip on Mon-Tuesday, and it's really hard to look that far ahead. I'm hoping we'll have another visit with Whistler tonight.

Keep those prayers coming--for all of us, for whatever the outcome is.

Thank you all.

Little miracles are still miracles, aren't they? So glad you got to have a good visit with him and hope there will be more good time. Will keep praying and sending warm, strengthening thoughts to Whistler.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending prayers!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh Stephanie! Hugs for Whistler and everyone who loves him!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest Winterwish

Oh I'm so sorry your pup is so ill,and will keep Whistler in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:gh_child:grouphug:hope :hope