Ack! Fleas!

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

Grr. We've been flea-free since we moved here spring last year...until now. We have hordes of feral cats around, and the neighbor has an outside dog tied to our shared fence-who knows where they're coming from, but they need to go! I'm out of Advantage--although the vet is first on my list of things to do tomorrow AM!--but what can I use outside in the yard?

So I'm looking for something safe to use that'll kill the fleas but not be harmful to my guys. Are there actual safe flea killers out there? How about home remedies? Diatomaceous earth earth? Borax?

Guest D_MansMommy

I just use Frontline Plus on Dovovan and our indoor only kitties. We never treated the yard before. Sorry, I have no suggestions on that. I think if you just keep your yard mowed and keep up on the flea/tick preventatives you will be ok.

Guest lat41065

I use diatomaceous earth and have been flea free for over a year. I do use frontline also. My neighbor has lots of cats and they carry the buggers all over I put a thick barrier of the DE along the fence line and the cats carry it around. The fleas fall into and are dead. When infested you can put it in the house also leave it sit for a day or so then vacuum with a new bag every day for 10 days that should get them along with washing the linens, dog beds and throw rugs.

Guest SillyDog

I just tried diatomaceous earth 2 weeks ago and haven't seen any improvement in the flea population. I'm going to try treating with it again this weekend. I've been told that the flea population in my area is really, really out of control and we just keep getting more rain, which the fleas like. I don't want to treat with any chemicals because the dogs eat the leafy stuff in the backyard. I'm considering nematodes, but I don't know if the diatomaceous earth would kill them or not.

Good luck with this problem -- fleas are annoying!