Corn Miracle?

You know something? I give my hounds Fresh Factors-which has bee pollen in it - and have never had a corn problem. Interesting. Maybe you should call it something else and sell it as a corn remedy and get rich!

Too bad that doesn't work for my two! They both get Fresh Factors....I guess what works for one doesn't always help another.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know something? I give my hounds Fresh Factors-which has bee pollen in it - and have never had a corn problem. Interesting. Maybe you should call it something else and sell it as a corn remedy and get rich!

Too bad that doesn't work for my two! They both get Fresh Factors....I guess what works for one doesn't always help another.

Propolis and pollen are two different things.

Oh and thanks to everyone that posted a reply to my question re whether to give the propolis orally or to apply it topically. I will have to get some aloe and start making a paste I can apply to Nadir's foot.

Speaking of whether or not dogs get corns the last vet I took Nadir to in order to try to find out why he has been limping for 2 years now. seems to think his limp is caused by the "corn" on one of his center rear toes. I had never imagined that this could have been causing him the pain it was. Prior to taking him to this vet I have had him at 5 different vets, including having an MRI and spinal done to try to determine why he had such a problem with walking to possibly find out that I've spent about $4000 because of a "corn" that some vets think that dogs do not get :blink: . The funny thing is is when I took him to Auburn for the neurological exam and MRI they noted that he had a corn on his foot but never suggested to me that this could be the reason for his problem. When I took him to this newest vet he actually took time to observe his walk and the way he was standing. He mentioned that it could be removed surgically but was very supportive when I told him what I had read here about the use of propolis and wanted to try it first. Incidentally one of the vets I was taking him to last year was giving him accupuncture treatments for his pain. It really seemed to help him at the time, so I'm not sure if you could say that accupuncture helps with corns per se, but I will say that if it works propolis is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Incidentally I got propolis capsules from Beehive Botanicals. Right now through July 31st they have a buy one get one free promotion on all their products.

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

Rajah had his corn hulled at the vet's yesterday. She gave me the info to buy the tool and told me that, if I couldn't find one, she would order it for me through their surgical supply catalogue. I told her about the bee propolis and she looked interested. Her male has corns too. In following up with this, I went to the vitamin place that I called (to make sure they had it) and the one they had was expired :huh He told me he's never heard of the topical, but gave me another place to try. I will call them first... not sure where else to go?

Guest VirginiaGreys
Rajah had his corn hulled at the vet's yesterday. She gave me the info to buy the tool and told me that, if I couldn't find one, she would order it for me through their surgical supply catalogue. I told her about the bee propolis and she looked interested. Her male has corns too. In following up with this, I went to the vitamin place that I called (to make sure they had it) and the one they had was expired :huh He told me he's never heard of the topical, but gave me another place to try. I will call them first... not sure where else to go?

the topical is made by opening up the pill capsule and mixing it with a little bit of aloe. ;) You do that...it's not found already mixed

Be careful when you open the capsule...so you don't lose any of the contents... make sure you have a clean (and dry) working surface so that if the capsules opens when you cut it and some of the contents spreads out on the counter...you can gather it all back up and mix it all with the little bit of aloe. (I also bought the aloe that was at the health food place...so that it was the best out there).

When you apply it topically, what does it actually do? What am I looking for?

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest VirginiaGreys

Xan...hmmm...well...I TRIED to pull the capsule apart on the first capsule I used, but I was afraid that I would end up with a mess since they weren't coming apart very easy...so I took a knife and cut it open instead.

Now...after reading your post...I tried again...and this time the capsule pulled apart easier. I've never pulled apart capsules before...so I'll just say that since I wasn't experienced at doing so...I was afraid to make a big mess...which I did when I cut it anyway. Oh well. *embarrassed smilie* and *laughing smilie* inserted here

I found this thread because I did a search for the Fresh Factors product to see if people had tried it and how they liked it. Fresh Factors and some of Springtime's other supplements contain bee pollen. I realize this thread is talking about bee propolis, but propolis is bee pollen plus the sticky stuff, so it's related. I'm a pretty big geek :rolleyes: and big believer in alternative healing, so I started reading about propolis and found this:

"Hippocrates prescribed Bee Propolis for various afflictions over 2,400 years ago. Propolis is an amazing compound, containing all vitamins except vitamin K, and is a source of bio-flavonoids, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc, among other minerals. Propolis has antibiotic and antiviral properties and has been shown to boost the immune system and relieve cold and flu symptoms. It is believed that Bee Propolis can boost the effectiveness of other antiviral drugs. It is well regarded for its healing properties and ability to regenerate damaged cells. Propolis is also an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant and has shown promise in the treatment of malignant disease, liver disorders and various infections."

So then I was intrigued about why it seems to work for corns and my search led me to some information about using propolis to get rid of warts which led me to some information about canine corns actually being warts. (I know, I'm easily entertained) Then that search then led to me information that referred to greyhound corns as plantar warts: Link

Now that I have experience with! Very painful! All very interesting stuff in geeky opinion. Anyway, it sounds like the propolis works or is helpful due to it's antiviral properties specifically and it's ability to boost overall immune system functioning. Sounds like using it topically and internally is a good plan. I'm filing this away for future reference.

So, back to my reason for the search (after this extended side trip into the world of corns and warts) :lol I've decided that bee pollen/propolis is really good, healing stuff and is worth trying. I made my decision to order the Springtime supplement (called Longevity)for my dogs and am hopeful it will help with their allergy/inflammation issues. I'll post separately about that experience after they've been on it for a while.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest VirginiaGreys
I find that sort of untwisting capsules helps control the coming-apart, so it's less likely to go flying everywhere. :)

If only I had known before trying to get the capsule apart. :blush:lol

Guest lynne893

What is the product name of these capsules and the dosage and how much should I give, how many times a day, and where do I purchase from?? I'm kind of clueless. I searched Dr Fosters & smith without luck.

Thank you!

Guest MnMDogs

Well, Mork's back to being lame. He seems do have about 5 days free of whatever corn(s) have infested his back right toe before he can't use it anymore :(

I'm going to keep applying the propolis and hope he gets some relief in another few days.

Carol, do you have a Therapaw for when he's lame? They're invaluable, I'm telling you! Some people have said you should get two; one for the problem foot, and another for the opposite foot (like, both back feet, or both front feet), because it seems to bother them less that way. Good to have a spare, in any case.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Carol, do you have a Therapaw for when he's lame? They're invaluable, I'm telling you! Some people have said you should get two; one for the problem foot, and another for the opposite foot (like, both back feet, or both front feet), because it seems to bother them less that way. Good to have a spare, in any case.

Xan, this topic came up at just the right time. Zeke had started limping and we discovered he has a corn on his rear foot. We've started treatment and I've ordered Bee Propolis as well. What size Therapaw did you order? We measured according to directions and it looks like he would wear the Medium size. I just want to be sure we don't get it too tight. Zeke is 82 lbs of big goofy boy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Can't go by Wabi's feet. She's got little skinny feet not much bigger than a whippet. Go by what the measurements say, and be generous. Especially if you let the nails go a bit long. I find Wabi's boots just a teensy bit short, but they still work and stay on better than anything else I've tried.

Good luck with Zeke!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Can't go by Wabi's feet. She's got little skinny feet not much bigger than a whippet. Go by what the measurements say, and be generous. Especially if you let the nails go a bit long. I find Wabi's boots just a teensy bit short, but they still work and stay on better than anything else I've tried.

Good luck with Zeke!

Thanks Zan. I followed the directions and measured him twice. If the size I ordered is too small I might try them on Fiona & Tasha - that way I'll have a pair on hand for them should we need it. The shipping is pretty fast so I can get get a bigger size for him.

We've never had greyhounds with corns before so this is a first. Poor Zeke is very uncomfortable and I'm hoping we can get it under control and he can start feeling better.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Morky wears Therapaws on all feet when walking. He's got corns on three feet, and the non-corn foot has an old racing injury, so it's really the only way he can walk at all. They are worth their weight in gold.