Corn Miracle?

Little Wabi turned up with a classic corn on her one good back foot several weeks ago.  :(  I read up here on GT and followed links, etc. - did my homework - and went out to find some propolis to apply topically with aloe.  In the mean time, she got another nice bootie for her good foot (she already wears one on her "funny" foot for walks).  

Well, I found the propolis, we had some aloe, but my homework suggested I should dremel down the corn surface flush with the pad (or a little in), and I sort of didn't get around to that ... But, I did start adding the propolis to her food, one capsule a day.  Imagine my suprise when I went to check how bad it was, and to beat myself up for being such a bad mom, and .... It was GONE!   :blink::blink:  No kidding: gone!

When I looked last, maybe a couple days before that, it had popped out above the pad like a short mushroom with a hard cap.  I could almost imagine hulling it with my fingernail.  Now, it's a slight depression, a little harder than the surrounding pad, and apparently not very sensitive at all.  Yeay!  Well, lazy person's routine has worked out pretty well, so far, but I thought I should definitely pass this along!  :D  :D

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Propolis is a bee product. Here's some info from Wikipedia.

You can find it in various forms, but I got it in capsules, so I hadn't gotten around the idea of mixing it with the aloe (lazy!), so I just opened the cap and put it in her food. It smells good. Kind of yeasty. :)

It could be that the "cap" of the corn just sloughed off, and we're just where we would have been if I'd dremelled it down, but I'm watching with interest!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Looked around a bit, and re-found this:

Test tube studies have found propolis to be active against a variety of microorganisms, including bacteria, viruses, and protozoans. 1–10 These findings have been the basis for most propolis research in humans and animals.

The results of a small controlled study suggests that propolis cream might cause attacks of genital herpes to heal faster. 11

A preliminary controlled study found that propolis mouthwash following oral surgery significantly speeded healing time as compared to placebo. 12 Propolis extracts may also have value in treatment of severe periodontal disease , according to a study that evaluated the use of propolis extracts as part of an irrigation procedure performed twice weekly by dentists. 43

In one study, rats given propolis in their drinking water got fewer cavities than rats given regular water. 18 However, no human studies have been performed to see if we would also benefit.

Animal studies also suggest that topical propolis may be of benefit in healing wounds . 13,14

One group of researchers compared a propolis extract against the standard antiprotozoal drug tinidazole in 138 people infected with the parasite giardiasis . 15 The extract appeared to work about as well as the drug therapy.

A number of clinical trials have tested the use of propolis for eye infections 16 and vaginal infections . 17 However, these were poorly designed; better trials are necessary before we can say for sure that propolis is an effective treatment for any of these conditions.

One isolated study, published only in abstract form, tested bee propolis in women with mild endometriosis and infertility . Reportedly, researchers found that use of bee propolis at a dose of 500 mg twice daily resulted in a pregnancy rate of 60%, as compared to 20% in the placebo group, a difference that was statistically significant. 44 It is not clear why propolis should have this effect.

Finally, test tube studies suggest that propolis has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cancer preventing properties. 19–25 Again, without actual human studies, these results suggest the need for future research but do not prove propolis effective for any particular condition.

Safety Issues

Propolis is an ingredient commonly consumed in small quantities in honey. Safety studies have found it to be essentially nontoxic when taken orally; propolis also appears to be nonirritating when applied to the skin. 26 However, allergic reactions to propolis are relatively common; it is a known "sensitizing agent," meaning it tends to induce allergies to itself when it is taken for an extended time. 27–42

Amazing stuff, if it can be standardized, and as long as one doesn't become allergic to it! :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest lizmego

I'm going to go by Wild Oats and buy some today....there is capsule and tincture form...any ideas of which would be better for application on corns?

Guest hamiesmom

Congrats, Xan, I'm still working on Hamie's corns.

Lizmego - I buy it in tincture form, rub some on the corn and put a few drops in his food.

I'm thinking tincture is better for topical, definitely. It would be easier to mix with aloe (if you bother with the aloe), and is supposed to be more easily absorbed through the skin that way.

Maybe both? One for oral, one for topical?

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've never used propolis as a food supplement, but it is part of the formula for an amazing wound healing treatment...

A friend who is into AKC conformation shows told me about this when one of our dogs had a bad three-corner wound that required several sutures. It worked amazingly well. The wound healed with NO scar and the hair grew back completely over it. I've since used it many times on wounds of various types. (I've never put it on an open wound... don't think that would be a good idea.)

I mix the 'GLOP' up in a little pyrex prep bowl or custard cup...

Start with a tablespoon or so of aloe gel. (It's best if you can scrape the fresh stuff from aloe leaves, but I've also used the bottled kind (from the health food market).)

Add:

The contents of 1 propolis capsule (open it and dump the contents into the gel)

The contents of one Vitamin E capsule (puncture and squirt it into the gel)

1-3 drops oil of lavendar (available at the health food market)

Mix this all up and smear on the wound. It dries fairly quickly, so isn't too messy.

I've refrigerated it and used a few times a day, but always make a new batch each day.

I would think this might also help with corns! I never thought of it before, but it's worth a try. Smear it on and cover with a baby sock?

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Guest alannamac

Interesting! Bandit's got one corn on each foot, and they do trouble him. Please tell me where you found this propolis? Do you have to go to a health food store or is it the type of thing that might be on the vitamin aisle in a drugstore?

Thanks!

I've always bought propolis, the oil of lavender and the 100% natural aloe gel at our local organic food/health food co-op.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

I finally got around to mixing the propolis from the capsule with aloe, and applied it for a few days, covering with a bootie, but it seemed like it was just rubbing off on the bootie on the way on. Not sure enough would stay on the corn that way. It stumped me, I got lazy, and haven't continued with it. Her corn is there, and I've dremelled it down once, but it's not gone. Gotta get more disciplined about the propolis again!

Any good ideas about how to keep it in place once it's applied? Teensy bandaids?? :blink:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest amour
Little Wabi turned up with a classic corn on her one good back foot several weeks ago.  :(  I read up here on GT and followed links, etc. - did my homework - and went out to find some propolis to apply topically with aloe.  In the mean time, she got another nice bootie for her good foot (she already wears one on her "funny" foot for walks).  

Well, I found the propolis, we had some aloe, but my homework suggested I should dremel down the corn surface flush with the pad (or a little in), and I sort of didn't get around to that ... But, I did start adding the propolis to her food, one capsule a day.  Imagine my suprise when I went to check how bad it was, and to beat myself up for being such a bad mom, and .... It was GONE!   :blink::blink:  No kidding: gone!

When I looked last, maybe a couple days before that, it had popped out above the pad like a short mushroom with a hard cap.  I could almost imagine hulling it with my fingernail.  Now, it's a slight depression, a little harder than the surrounding pad, and apparently not very sensitive at all.  Yeay!  Well, lazy person's routine has worked out pretty well, so far, but I thought I should definitely pass this along!  :D  :D

Once started by mouth how long did it take the propolis to see results. My boy has a corn that is really sticking out and bothers him. He takes of anything that I put on his paw. Thanks, Amour

Guest VirginiaGreys

Xan...did the corns ever come back?

I know this is an old thread...but Dodge has a small corn on the back right paw and I need to get rid of it so I can know if he's favoring it because of the corn or because of something else? :(

I only used the capsule form 1 - 50 mg added to his food twice a day, Jake's corn disapeared in about 6 weeks. My vet was impressed.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest amour

Hi Foxysmom,

You said 1-50mg 2xday or did you mean 2-500mg 2xday? I've seen the 500mg but not the 50mg.

Want to try this. Thanks

Guest goodtimekid

We added 500mg twice daily and Kid's corns are now starting to pop up and I'm hoping that they will fall out. I can actually "pick" them out with my nail but I haven't because I was afraid it would leave too big a hole and it might get infected... Any advice out there what is next??

Hi Foxysmom,

You said 1-50mg 2xday or did you mean 2-500mg 2xday? I've seen the 500mg but not the 50mg.

Want to try this. Thanks

That's because I'm a dolt and it should have been 500. Sorry

We added 500mg twice daily and Kid's corns are now starting to pop up and I'm hoping that they will fall out. I can actually "pick" them out with my nail but I haven't because I was afraid it would leave too big a hole and it might get infected... Any advice out there what is next??

You shouldn't have any problem Donna, if they will pop out, let them.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest VirginiaGreys

I bought the propolis and have used it already topically. I already got some good results...however before I get really excited...I have two more hounds that I'd like to try it on their corns as well...and see what happens. I'll try to take some pics before and after. Their corns are small and flat with the pads right now...just like Dodge's were.

Guest longdogs

As a beekeeper I suppose I shouldn't be negative but it makes no sense. Propolis isn't some sort of special bee magic, it is just any old sticky stuff they happen to collect and use as a glue and gap-filler. It will be different from location to location and month to month. Mostly it is tree-resin or dried sap. It can cause dermatitis and skin inflammation (it can also be mildly antiseptic), so that is a possible mechanism - though not a good one - for topical application. Heaven knows how it is supposed to work if taken internally.