Beau Back At Vet. Update Post 78 -0ut Of Surgery

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went thru this last summer with my Rascal. Only he tore BOTH back legs at the same time.. The achillies tendon can be repaired, I interviewed several vets to find the right one who KNEW they could do the surgery. It was a long recovery, and truthfully, we are still working with him to use his right leg which was the really bad one. Rascal is a happy dog and has minimal pain now. I am very glad we did the surgery!

Good luck to you and Beau over the next several days and weeks. PM me if you have any specific questions that I can try to help you with! :grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I just don't know how to keep it together. I'm falling apart.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh dear, poor Beau and poor you! Many prayers on the way for Beau and lots of hugs for you too.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Oh Robin! Poor thing! Deep breaths. Beau is in good hands now, and will be taken care of. Worrying will just make you sick, stressed out, and less able to be there for Beau and the others. Try to relax for now. There will be plenty to do later.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I just don't know how to keep it together. I'm falling apart.

Well don't keep it together for a bit. Have a really good cry. You're entitled. He shouldn't have been left in that kind of pain. But then.... deep breath. You have a diagnosis now. It can be fixed. Your boy is being properly cared for now and he is going to be OKAY!

:grouphug:grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Winterwish
:grouphug:grouphug It's so,so hard,but try to bring into your mind that Beau is safe,they'll make sure he's comfortable. If you have any doubts,don't hesitate to give them a call. I'm sure they will understand. It's been a trauma the whole thing,no wonder you're feeling the bigness of that,and being so worried about Beau. :grouphug Maybe you can ask the vet's office to call you when he's napping,or settled so you can see that in your mind,it'll be very helpful to know he's resting. :grouphug

Guest JudiK

You know... Winterwish is probably right. He has been in so much pain that he is probably exhausted - you said that they were addressing his pain so he is probably sleeping like a log. I'm thinking that between lack of sleep, exhaustion from the pain and the sedation for tests and surgery... he is just going to sleep for the next 48 hours. He will probably wake up, wonder where you are - and you will be there within an hour or so to take him home. When you get home tonight give Chloe and Teddy the attention that they haven't been getting for the past couple of days. The worst is behind all of you.

Edited by JudiK

Guest taylorsmom

Oh Robin I am just reading this now--how scary and upsetting!! Sending lots and lots of prayers, and healing and calming thoughts. I have gone through this with one of my babies--Taylor ripped out her toenail and the e-vet gave her morphine which caused an absolutely awful reaction--it is called a dysphoric reaction and it sounds like it may be what Beau had with the initial meds they gave him. What I learned from that is that you have to be very careful with the pain killers that are used for greys. Celebrating Greyhounds had an excellent article on this awhile ago, and it was recommended to use a medication called Ultram, or tramadol (generic--sp??) for pain management in greys, much less likelihood of this reaction.

Please keep us posted :grouphug

Guest ss556

Robin, I'm sorry to hear this. It is upsetting but as long as he is comfortable now and gets all better soon is what matters. Sending lots and lots of prayers your way.

Guest gapeach1

Glad that Beau is being treated by a specialized orthopedic surgeon. That will be the best thing for him, in the long run. I know the waiting is frustrating, hang in there. I'm sure the ortho vet will give him something to tie him over for the pain till the surgery. Our AKC baby grey pup broke his tibia at 4 months, and it was a bad break. He pulled the tendon, and everything had to be screwed back into placed and then wired in. Don't worry, it'll be all right.

Sending healing white light and calming thoughts for Beau that he will feel better very soon and will quickly be at home on his own bed.

GAPeach1

Thank you all for your good wishes. It's amazing how support makes you feel like you are not going through it alone.

I am going to visit Beau this evening. I'm not sure if that is the best thing for him or not. I will have to leave again and I'm sure that isn't good for him but i don't think they will let me sleep in the empty crate net to him. I would if they would let me.

Tomorrow is the surgery. From what I understand from other greys that have been through this, it's a long road to recovery but we will take it one day at a time and do whatever it is that needs to be done to get Beau back to being Beau.

Thank you all and I will update later.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project