Uti Question

I know a UTI frequently causes urinary continence problems. Can a urinary tract infection also cause issues with inability to control defecation- either medically or psychologically? (i.e., so long as I've wet the carpet, I may as well poo, too!)

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest SillyDog

Yes. I had this problem with Carly. My vet said that sometimes they strain if they've got a UTI and it can cause unexpected pooping. It, of course, goes the other way, too.

Absolutely. Something doesn't feel good and it sets them on edge or they try to relieve the funky feeling and the result is poop.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OK, thanks everyone.

Now an extension of that question: of course, giardia gives dogs the uncontrollable trots, but can it cause problems with urination?

I'm trying to track down a problem with a dog we fostered. The vet put him on Flagyl (metronidazole), and I'm still in the dark as to why. Now he's messing in the house (#1 and #2), and seriously off his feed. Both are very odd as he has been fantastic about housebreaking, and has always had an appetite like a tiger shark. He's about 3-4 years old, and very strong, otherwise healthy.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Has pup had any recent medical tests (UTI, giardia, parasites, bloodwork, anything)?

What is he being fed, how much, at what times of day?

About how much is he drinking each day? More than usual, less, or about the same?

When is he taken out, and what does he do then?

Where is he when mess(es) occur, and about what time of day?

What's his day like in general?

Other pets in the home?

ETA: You don't necessarily have to answer all those for me, just questions *you* might want to ask. Burpdog is right, flagyl can sometimes upset a dog. All mine and 99% of those I know tolerate it with no difficulties, not even grumbly tummy, but you do get the odd dog for whom it causes some upset.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

See, the weird thing is that he WAS on Flagyl- but hasn't been for several days- and his appetite has continued to diminish.

The adopter is going to get him into the vet (who used to do work for a greyhound rescue group, so he has a little experience with the breed), but I'm trying to get to the root of the problem. I'd originally thought it was behavioral, but now am all but convinced it's medical.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Is he still pooping and peeing relatively normally (apart from liquid poop)? Tell adopter if he stops, get him to the vet ASAP. Probably no cause for extreme alarm, but a partial blockage *can* cause some of these symptoms, and partial blockages can become total blockages.

Fingers crossed just a nasty bug that needs a little extra meds.