Over Ate! A Lot!

Guest Kpparker

Guest Kpparker

Hey guys

Tavi got into what seems to have been a lot of food while we were out today and his belly is really really full. I know these guys can suffer from bloat so Im worried, should I induce vomiting (although he ate this stuff awhile ago)?

Or I am thinking he may be okay if I keep him quiet to let it all digest, ie. no long walk this evening and no over excitement?

Minerva once ate a 3-pound box of dog treats. She's also eaten entire loaves of bread while we were out. She also once broke into the kibble bag and gorged herself. (I know- we're horrible people.)

The bread made her sleepy. The dog treats were extruded later in the hallway, same as how they went in but in less-solid form.

You might see a mess later on, but as best as I know, bloat (gastric torsion) is not a function of overeating so much as it is the stomach "twisting" like a balloon in the gut.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest david_42

It isn't likely to be a problem. Most of the extra will just pass through. Take him on the evening walk and take extra bags.

Guest Kpparker

Ok thanks guys! Feel better now that no one is saying OMG he's going to die, rush him to the e-vet asap! He seems kind of pathetic right now, feeling sorry for himself in his tubby state. We'll go for a nice slow walk to get the poop out later. Can't wait to see what comes out :sick

Guest maryjo79

Yeah, Spud has done this before and other than some loose poops he was fine. My carpet on the other hand, that's a different story ;)

Guest LynnM

Ooooohhhh boy.... have I ever been through this. MANY times. Louis is my resident food thief. The last time he got into the dog food, he looked PREGNANT. I caught him at the tail end of it and took him outside immediately and made him get rid of a bunch of it (You'd be amazed how far down a greyhound's throat you can fit your hand, or thank goodness they've got sensitive gag reflexes!). He didn't give it all up, but with the help of some Pepcid and Gas-X, he rested comfortably that night, and we spent a nice long time at the dog park the next day getting rid of the rest. Gas-X is your friend when it comes to this sort of thing.

The times when he's gotten ahold of something a little more exotic than dog food (the whole cooked chicken and plate of cooked beets comes to mind, as does the meatloaf- yes, a whole one), I've kept him in an indoor/outdoor run for a day or two so that he can do his business as needed. He's never had any upset, though, even from some of the stuff he's swiped that you would THINK would cause some spectacular digestive issues.

Tavi, you wicked evil hound :lol A now bridge boy mutt of mine once ate two pounds of granola while we were out. We all repented at leisure, but no great ill came of it. If Tavi's one to let you know when he needs to go out, keep him close by tonight. ;)

Guest longdogs

Dogs are designed to stuff themselves full if they get the opportunity. Unless it is grain or something that could swell, I'd just leave the greedy creature to digest it in peace.

Guest Kpparker

Update: Well we left Tavi's body to digest all the stuff he ate. He ate A LOT of peanut butter, probably 5 or 6 dentabones, some cereal (I think thats it). He's been having cow patty poops yesterday evening and this morning. He threw up sometime last night as it was on the floor in the bedroom. Poor guy tried to eat it this morning before I saw it. DBF and I are both going to be out for most of the day, so hopefully his belly is going to be okay, but if not we'll pick up some poop/vomit later if need be. Going to give him some caopectate in the meantime and not feed him this morning either. I feel bad for him, you can tell he's not feeling good and he kind of has this poor pathetic me look on his face.. so cute! Time to go hide stuff before work.. thanks guys!

Guest Winterwish

Feel better soon Tavi! :heart

(just a thought,I'd not go with the kaopectate,but rather if you have the pepcid LynnM mentioned,or a child's dose of pepto-bismal instead. only because I think that stuff would really just need to come out. Also,the dentabones are kind of tough,and I have no idea,but you wouldn't want him to become bound up which in my mind seems like they could combined with the kaopectate somehow,know what I mean? Just a thought.)

Edited by Winterwish

Poor guy!

We're guilty of this too. My folks were visiting, we forgot to put the babygate to the kitchen up and, despite being muzzled, Echo managed to consume an entire homemade loaf of bread and 6 zucchini muffins. As Lynn mentioned, she looked pregnant. When we came home, she had only left a few crumbs and the torn plastic bags. She was laying on the dog bed breathing very weird... my first clue that she wasn't a good puppy while we were gone.

We laughed it off, she pooped it up in the next couple days.. no harm, no foul.

Sadly, we could always tell when she was going to get into something. I remember a separate occasion when we were leaving to take Icky and Atty for a walk and she was watching us impatiently from the window.. as soon as we were past the townhouse, she bounded away from the window. I handed Rene Icky's leash and took off for the house. Sure enough, she was in the kitchen again scoping out the goods. :lol She's too smart for her own good!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest LynnM

Remember that Kaopectate was reformulated a couple of years ago. It is now the exact same thing as Pepto-Bismol (bismuth subsalicylate). So.... don't give both Kaopectate and Pepto, thinking that they're doing two different things. You'd just be doubling up on the same medication.

Lynn