Temperature To Keep A/c During The Day

Guest wrldruler

Guest wrldruler

Hello,

We just got our first greyhound, Nelly, two days ago. Things are going great so far.

I found a great post concerning recommended house temperatures in the winter time:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=thermostat

But how about A/C temperatures in the summer?

We live near Baltimore, MD and our summers days are always 80-100 degrees outside. What temperature should I set my central air conditioning thermostat during the day while my wife and I are at work.

Currently, our programmable thermostat is set to: 72 in the early morning, 80 during the day, 74 in the evening, 76 at night.

My wife is worried that the 80 during the day will be too hot.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Chris

Guest mirthlesstroll

:welcome We live in No. Virginia, not too far from you.

80 might be a little stuffy during the day. Maybe you could set the therm. to the 74-76 you have been using at other times. Something comfortable for you will be comfortable for your GH.

Guest cnewsome

I keep my thermostat at 77 or 78 during the summer and keep it there 24/7.

I also keep the ceiling fans running.

Hounds seem to be fine, they sleep a lot anyway and don't move much.

I just got central air this month and have been keeping it at 76 at all times. Of course, I'm not a big fan of air conditioning and would find 72 to be too low. The air conditioning takes the humidity out of the air so 76 inside feels cooler than 76 outside.

Congrats on your new addition. Pictures please!

Our greys stay upstairs with access to our bedroom and office while we are at work. We can't give them free access to the entire house for various reasons. Unfortunately, those also happen to be the warmest rooms in the house. We set our AC to 74 during the day, but it probably doesn't get that cool upstairs. We also leave our celing fan on all day. Setting yours to 76 would probably be OK - I agree that 80 sounds a bit too stuffy. We also used to leave ours on higher temps. while we were at work, but that all changed when we got our greys.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest maryjo79

When we leave the ac on 80, we make sure there is a fan on the pups. If I start to get hot I turn it down to 78. We routinely have 100+ degrees here :)

Guest LynnM

Mine's set to come on at 85. I also have fans going most of the time. A/C isn't cheap and I keep it on just enough to knock the humidity down in the middle of the day. Windows open and fans on at night.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, greyhounds are NOT fragile pets. Acclimatize them, keep them well hydrated and active, and you'll have some of the toughest beasts on the block!

Lynn

Guest david_42

I keep mine set to 80F or higher. Many times it will be 100F out and both of them are outside sleeping in the shade. I'll keep a wading pool half full, but only Cougar uses it.

Winter it's 62F.

Edited by david_42

Guest HersheysMom

At our house 73 is the highest we can have it set before Hershey starts complaining. It's worse this summer now that his thyroid level is where it should be - since raising it also raises the body temp. Even when he was low thyroid he'd get hot easily, though. His fur is very thick for a grey.

Here on the surface of the sun (Arizona), I have mine set at 78 degrees. I've noticed that at 80 my pup is not comfortable-especially when it's 114 degrees outside.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest sheila

I keep mine at 80 and run the ceiling fans 24/7. I once visited a puppy farm in Kansas when the temp was 100 degrees out. Many dogs were kept in outdoor runs and they all seemed happy and healthy.

His fur is very thick for a grey.

This is a good point... one of our grey girls is black with a very think coat. She gets hot very easily. She generally sleeps right next to the a/c vent too. So, while some greys may be fine in 80 degree temps or higher... others might be too warm at those temps.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Tenderhearts

I set mine at 80, but I also have a ceiling fan going, and a standing fan on the crates when I am gone (1 grey, 2 non-greys are crated when I'm not at home).

We typically have some pretty brutal summers here in Kansas, heat-wise.

I used to keep mine at 80, but with Sugar's bad heart, the heat really bothers her. So now I keep it at 78, with ceiling fans.

I have to add, the heat does not stop her from going outside and laying in the sun :rolleyes: she just comes in sooner :lol

Guest crazy4greys

Downstairs where the greys are, the a/c is on energy saver @ 72. It goes on & off as needed. My guys like it on the cool side. I also leave the dehumidifier running. It helps too.

Upstairs where I sleep, it is on 70. I like it cold!!