Mazie Was Limping. . .then I Noticed Her Toe

Guest BooMooandDoo

Guest BooMooandDoo

Mazie started limping last night, so I checked out her feet and I noticed that she had a yucky toe. . ..

mazietoe1.jpg

mazietoe1.jpg

I called the vet and they suggested antibiotics and asked if we had any left from an infected puncture wound. . I told him we did, so he told me to put her on them. . . .

So what should I do in the meantime. I've read about soaking, but was wondering what we should soak it in. . . . .

Any suggestions?

Guest Winterwish

You could make a soak out of epsom salts and warm water. If she doesn't want her foot in the water,you could dip a washcloth into the same solution,and drape it on her paw for 15 minutes,or,using the washcloth,squeeze out the solution over the area.

I hope Mazie's paw feels better soon! :dogcookie:dogcookie

We used to soak our labs foot in a Betadyne solution (wouldn't look too good on that nice, white paw though). I've also used something called Domboro(?) solution for foot soaking but don't remember the reason. Big help. :blink:

I used espom salts and warm water.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Poor Mazie!

Epsom salts are what Diesel gets to soak in, and then neosporin on the ugly part. The dogs down here get something stuck between the nail in that fold and it gets infected. (Cheet grass here...) Wonder if it was something while she was digging?

Poor Mazie-moo!

Easy way to do the soak is soak the towel/rag in hot salt water, get her lying down where she'll be for awhile (preferably with you! :wub: ), wrap the towel around her foot, then put a plastic bag over it, and either hold it or maybe use some vet-wrap to close it around her leg. I had to do this with Brilly, and this worked really well. :)

Good luck! Hope it's no big deal and gone in no time!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest BooMooandDoo

We didn't have any epsom salts.... so I soaked it in warm water. She let me stick her foot in a bowl. . .as long as I was feeding her treats. We'll buy some epsom salts tomorrow and continue to torture her with warm water and treats ;) Thanks for the advice. . . . .I didn't have any clue what to do :dunno

Soaking it at least removed the ooze. . . and she's now sleeping soundly with a full belly of yummies.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

When we had an infected nail bed here, we did warm water epsom salt soaks (just as everyone else has said) and we also did several warm water betadine soaks too. Cleared up in about a week.

Also, if you put a piece medical tape around the nail just where it meets the nailbed (not on or under the nailbed) it will keep sand and debris from getting under the nailbed.