Parasite-in-poo Question

Guest Tomgreyhound

Guest Tomgreyhound

Tom is on long term hook worm medication, Interceptor, or Milbemycin. Pulled from the official company website:

Milbemycin is used to control hookworm, roundworm, and certain whipworm infections in dogs and cats. The drug is also a highly effective preventative of canine heartworm disease and feline heartworm disease.

The other day Tom has what looked like a quarter inch (guesstimate) white worm in is poo. I do not know the size of and adult hookworm, and havnt been able to find that information online. However, I am familiar with Tapeworm segments and this thing look conspicuously like the tail end of a tapeworm, kind of like a grain of rice. This is my arm chair diagnosis and is probably 100% false, but have any of you had any experience with tape worms? Or could it have been a hookworm that was dislodged due to the medication (didnt appear to be dead).

Tom has been exceedingly nervous lately and I'm sure this is not helping things along.

Experienced Parasite in Poo owners help me out! :blink:

Tom is on long term hook worm medication, Interceptor, or Milbemycin. Pulled from the official company website:

Milbemycin is used to control hookworm, roundworm, and certain whipworm infections in dogs and cats. The drug is also a highly effective preventative of canine heartworm disease and feline heartworm disease.

The other day Tom has what looked like a quarter inch (guesstimate) white worm in is poo. I do not know the size of and adult hookworm, and havnt been able to find that information online. However, I am familiar with Tapeworm segments and this thing look conspicuously like the tail end of a tapeworm, kind of like a grain of rice. This is my arm chair diagnosis and is probably 100% false, but have any of you had any experience with tape worms? Or could it have been a hookworm that was dislodged due to the medication (didnt appear to be dead).

Tom has been exceedingly nervous lately and I'm sure this is not helping things along.

Experienced Parasite in Poo owners help me out! :blink:

If it looks like a tapeworm and smells like a tapeworm... :P

Actually, I'm not very good about what looks like what in stool, but I would say collect it and take it into your vet today. If it is a tapeworm it's helpful to know which one. The two main dewormers - panacur and drontal plus - work on different tapes.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you're in the U.S., a visible worm in the poop is either a roundworm (spaghetti) or tapeworm (flat). Drontal kills all kinds of tapes. I think Drontal Plus kills most everything :lol but I won't swear to that.

Tapes can be really hard to detect in poop samples. I usually just tell my vet what I saw, they give the meds.

Best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Tenderhearts
Tapes can be really hard to detect in poop samples. I usually just tell my vet what I saw, they give the meds.

:nod

You can't see hookworms with the eye. I'd say it's tapeworm also. Roundworms look like spaghetti :sick

Guest Tomgreyhound
If you're in the U.S., a visible worm in the poop is either a roundworm (spaghetti) or tapeworm (flat). Drontal kills all kinds of tapes. I think Drontal Plus kills most everything :lol but I won't swear to that.

Best luck.

I knew I should have kept the bugger! C'mon Tom, give me another one! :huh

Guest greytexplorer

If it looks like rice, then it's tapeworm

Call your vet, tell them what you see, and they'll tell you if you need to come in for pup's checkup, or just come get the meds.

and hurry! those goobs are in Tom's intestines multiplying even as we speak......... :puke