Toe Amputation Experiences

To make a long story short, Dusty has been limping since January. He has a massive, deep corn. It's been hulled with absolutely no relief. Went for a consult today with a track vet in the area. He said the only thing to do is amputate the toe. Haven't yet made the decision to do it or not. Just wondered what experiences people have had who have gone ahead with the amputation. My poor baby. He's just so sad the last few months. Any information would he helpful. Thanks. : :broke

I have a foster here that lost the second toe on his left hind foot. After it healed he never notices that it is gone plus he feels better since his was caused by a shattered toe with the bone splinter pushing into his pad. Good luck.

Guest LynnM

Inside or outside toe? By which I mean, if you looked at your hand, is it the pinkie or pointer finger (outside)? or is it the middle or ring finger (inside)? That makes a difference for recovery time and the impact on the dog.

Lynn

Guest 7Greys

Our 13 year old girl Flake had her front 'pointer' toe removed a little over a year ago.

It was dislocated when she about 5 (the reason she was retired) and healed funny. It never caused her any problems until last year and we decided to remove it. She came home that night and acted like nothing was wrong..... she even wanted to run around the yard (of course we didn't let her).

She healed great and never seems to miss the toe.

Guest Snowy8

My first toe amp was on my greyhound Sadie-Grey who was 12 at the time...she had no problems...after the bandage came off, she never missed at beat. Ran just as fast as before around the yard.

My 2nd...was on a 10 yr old, Brogan. He started limping & the way he was throwing his foot, we finally narrowed it down to the paw vs the shoulder. My vet did some xrays on the paw itself & found a very "hot" toe. The nail bed had become infected & was separating from the bone itself. He amputated the middle toe & Brogan also never missed a beat. He wore a thick bulky bandage for about 2 weeks & when it came off, he had no problem.

Snowy had to have her nail amputated at the root. She's done just fine.

I think they do a lot better without the sore toe...we've had a lot of dogs come over from the racing kennels missing a toe.

Edited by Snowy8

Guest Zookiesmom

My boy Zooks is missing an outside toe on his back foot, and he doesn't have any issues. Most people don't even notice it. When we lift up his legs to wipe them with a towel in the winter, he's not as steady when his "good" back leg is lifted and his weight is on the bad one, but he just leans against us.

Guest IndyTwister

Twister is missing an outside toe on his front foot and he is still sensitive about it. He doesn't like to run as much as he used to and he favors it often. It's been about 1.5 years.

Inside or outside toe? By which I mean, if you looked at your hand, is it the pinkie or pointer finger (outside)? or is it the middle or ring finger (inside)? That makes a difference for recovery time and the impact on the dog.

Lynn

Naturally it's an outside toe, left front leg.

When you say it was hulled with no relief, do you mean absolutely none? Or did it return?

Absolutely no relief and then it filled in and the visible corn returned.

Dusty is 10 and doesn't run anymore. (Except for the time Beth skidded in the wet grass and T-boned him knocking him right over. THEN he ran after her to "yell" at her. :lol ) I just feel so badly for him. He hasn't been able to go for a walk since early January. He just seems so sad. He never walks without hobbling. It's a little better on the carpet and grass but he still never walks normally.

Guest kaotic1

Jordan has just recovered from her toe amputation. She is showing not ill effects. She had one of her "middle toes" removed.

Wallace had his inside toe (like the thumb..or first finger) of his front left foot removed a few months ago after a deep nail bed infection. He recovered very quickly and without any problem and he doesn't miss that toe at all.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest LynnM

RIGHT ANSWER!!!! Good deal. The outside toes are non-weight bearing (they're primarily for stability). If it's causing her problems, get rid of it! She'll be running around like new probably before it's good for her- you do have to make sure the suture site heals well, but that's about it.

Lynn

RIGHT ANSWER!!!! Good deal. The outside toes are non-weight bearing (they're primarily for stability). If it's causing her problems, get rid of it! She'll be running around like new probably before it's good for her- you do have to make sure the suture site heals well, but that's about it.

Lynn

Okay - maybe this thread should be linked to the one about the 60-year-old woman who had twins and why some thought it wasn't a great idea! I must have checked Dusty's corn a million times since January when I first found it. For some reason I had it in my head that it was an outside toe. IT'S NOT! It's the second one in from the left on his left front foot. If I can't count up to four toes, how could I take care of twins???? :blink: Guess it's a good thing my kids are adults now and don't have to count on me for information :lol I'm going off to practice now: one, two, three, four.........