Gigi's Leg

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

I thought Gigi's leg was better, or it was just a minor problem, since she showed no signs of pain or discomfort on our walk Monday.

Today, though, we were about 3/4 of a mile out on her walk, she is walking in the grass, all of a sudden she leaps up and starts hobbling around on 3 paws. Then she started to walk again as if to say "no, really, I'm ok". She'd be ok for awhile, then all of a sudden start jumping up, and biting the leash in agitation. I'd stop every time this happened and then she'd act ok for awhile. I hated making her walk on it, but I didn't know what to do, we were out on a trail and far from the car.

Prior to this incident she was more excited than usual, partially because of the weather and partially because I had a friend with me.

I wasn't carrying a camera this time.

We just got back and I'm going to examine her, but I'm letting her rest first. She doesn't seem to be in any serious pain, so I'm not going to look at an e-vet. I called my adoption group and they said they could pull a vet appointment for her tomorrow morning. They also recommended a small dose of aspirin. I think I might be overreacting, I'm just so worried about my baby!

Any reccomendations on how I can make sure she's comfortable tonight? Is that something greyhounds usually do -- try to pretend that they're not in pain even if they are?

Thanks...

Guest PhillyPups

Did they say to give her straight aspirin or chewable baby aspirin or coated aspirin? Based on past family experiences with limps, I don't play with them, I would rather have a vet look at them. Maybe you should keep your walks to just around the block till she is healed. Are you able to carry her if need be?

Guest jessicaksu125

It looks like somehow she pricked the top of the foot, there's a pretty deep gash there. She doesn't seem like she's in pain now, though she did have some trouble coming up on the couch.

I'm going to see how she is in the morning, and decide then if I'm going to rush her to the vet then, or try to get a Thursday evening appointment when it will be easier to escape work. I'm definitely going to minimize her walks until I have an answer.

Would anyone suggest trying to soak it? I was going to give her a bath this week but I don't want soap to get in the wounds now.

I would certainly clean it with saline. Hugs to Gigi.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Geez, she is determined to see that vet, isn't she. Just try to keep her comfortable until you can find out exactly what is going on.

If it were me, I would get her in there tomorrow.

Jenn

gallery_3252_2927_10878.jpg

If it's a pretty deep gash, I'd get her to the vet. Not an emergency if it isn't bleeding, but I wouldn't want to wait for something that's causing that much discomfort. Could be she has a foreign body there. Also, feet are dirty places, and you'll want to make sure it's kept clean and possibly some antibiotics. Mild soap (rinse well) is fine for cleaning such things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Brandy_b

Just try to keep her calm and dont let her jump or play. But I would think limping for as long as she has been is a sign of something or pain somewhere so I would get to the vet :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest jessicaksu125

Last night she didn't act like she was in any pain at all and even started walking more normally.

This morning, though, the leg was very stiff. I took her in, and showed the vet the video from before. After looking at her paw he said it was a bee sting and told me to give her bufferin aspirin (sp?) with food twice a day. The bleeding before was likely a burst scar, or she could've been stepped on at the open house.

The pain walking, he said, was probably due to adjusting to the walks and walking on hard ground. I'm going to ease up on the walks, and walk her on grass, and see if it helps, if not I'll get her x-rayed.

Otherwise he said she was healthy! This is the vet the adoption group recommended, and he works with the group, so I trust his opinion!

Edited by jessicaksu125

Guest SillyDog

I know you'll be keeping an eye on her, but I'd watch for that foot buckling under. I'm concerned that she's injured the top of it twice -- even if one was a bee sting -- within the last week.

Good luck, and I hope she recovers from the nasty sting quickly!

Guest fastdog

Hope Gigi is doing better.

Out of curiosity, who was the vet they recommended? As soon as they open the new clinic, we'll be taking our girls there, but I'm interested in how far the MGPS vet is from me (I'm in Bowdoinham).

thanks!

Sarah

Guest jessicaksu125
Hope Gigi is doing better.

Out of curiosity, who was the vet they recommended? As soon as they open the new clinic, we'll be taking our girls there, but I'm interested in how far the MGPS vet is from me (I'm in Bowdoinham).

thanks!

Sarah

Your girls are beautiful!

The vet is Alan Slack, he's in Waterville, phone is 873-4668. Hope that helps!

Gigi is doing much better, took her for a short walk yesterday and she was ok until the very end!

Guest sheila

Did you ask the vet about soaking the foot or bathing? I don't understand the hesitation with allowing soap to get on the wound as a common treatment for cut injuries is washing with warm soapy water. This would be true for any open wound but for sure a paw wound where every step she takes is exposing it to dirt. When Kiowa has had paw cuts I wash them daily with warm soapy water and then apply either an anti-biotic spray or Neosporin + Pain relief