Natalie Fell Twice (12 Years Old)

Natalie has always been a little shakey since we got her when peeing or pooping.

Last week it was raining and running to go out, she slipped on the carpet outside and her right hind leg slid out from under her. She gathered herself up and continued like nothing happened. (We put indoor/outdoor carpet because the cement slab was slippery.)

Yesterday, she was pooping and it seemed her back legs went out and she fell backwards and "sat" on her poop. She was on a slight incline in the yard but not at all steep. She looked embarrassed, got up and walked away to finish later.

She gets glucosamine/chondroitin in her food. Wonder gets an extra supplement of glucosamine.

Should we be giving it to Natalie too or is there something better that might help strengthen her? She still outruns the other three. :P She is acting fine and eating and all else seems normal, but falling twice within a week concerns us.

Any suggestions?

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Guest meandmygreys

I'm gonna say old age is creeping up on her....Bonnie did this for quite sometime...her rear end is probably getting weaker and it is harder for her to squat..

I would giver her the glucosamine, my vet said for me to give 600mg. to mine, but I'd ask yours for dosage amount.

Hugs to her and you too. :grouphug:grouphug

Yup, I'd agree that old age is creeping up.

I'd have her checked over by a vet.. looking for things like LS (lumbralsacral stenoisis, excuse the spelling) or hind end weakness issues.

For Glucosamine.. Atlas gets 1500mg daily for his leg (badly healed, broken hock) per our vets recommendation, plus 400mg Chondroitin and 400mg MSM. This combination seems to work very well for him.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I don't have any advice but wanted to say that you're not alone. My oldest grey, Flake, who is 13 is having the same difficulties. It's so hard to see her try to get her legs going the way she wants but they just won't listen to her. I'm not sure what else I can do for her either. Growing old sure isn't easy.

Hugs to your Natalie and you. :grouphug

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Ryce seemed to have that problem for several years before he went to the bridge. He quit lifting his leg and started to squat to urinate. It was easier for him. It seems to be an afliction in the older hounds, this rear end weakness. Lumbarsacral stenosis is common. Ryce had a peripheral nerve injury so we knew what his problem was. I'd consider a vet check just to rule out other causes.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Heart would do that :) My guys are on Fresh Factors, MSM and vit E and fish oil or flax seed oil.

Fresh Factors: 8 a day (1600mg chondroitin, bovine)

MSM: 1000 per day

Vit E: 400IU twice a day

Fish/flax - 2 per day

I saw no effect of giving glucosamine in addition to the above so I stopped it. Heart also received chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture as needed.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Nevada also has some hind end issues from time to time. She will be 15 years old in August. She will tumble over occasionally when playing, but picks herself back up like nothing happened & continues to run & play. Just recently she strained her back doing something-who knows what.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Man, I hate it when this happens to our sweeties. we too, are battling this with our senior, Scooter. He has been diagnosed with LS and is basically on all Diane said with the Glucosamine as well. Hugs to sweet Natalie. It has been raining a lot in Houston and my poor guy forgets and runs or jogs and slips so I am constantly monitoring every move especially outside.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

A diagnosis of LSS is made much easier after reading what Dr. Stack has to say on the subject. I showed this to my vet; she'd never seen it before, I don't think.

http://home.comcast.net/~greyhndz/lumbosacral.htm

Thanks for this reference. Its gonna come in handy and I'm forwarding copy to my vet.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Spiff

Spiff has LS and got a depo-medrol shot for it, which really helped his mobility. He was knuckling over and dragging one of his feet though, which was more than just rear-end weakness. Anyway, don't worry too much, there are lots of things to try in order to help our old hounds enjoy their time with us a little more!

Here's a poll topic that I started a while ago about LS.

Edited by Spiff

Guest GreytfullDad

Similar problems with Tasha our oldest (12), Glucosamine/condrotin (sp?) twice a day with meals, 500mg seems to help a little.

she was diagnosed with a slipped disk and chiropractic seems to help but is a regular on-going treatment and if missed for any length of time symptoms return. Good luck

Although my male 'Ivy' is only 10,5 years old he's starting to have those same difficulties. Sometimes he had fallen

over when pooping but he picks himself back in a second when it happens. He has also slipped on the kitchen floor

a few times but then he couldn't get up on his own and I put him back on his legs.

Ivy is on COSEQUIN and daily Vitamin E. Otherwise he's very healthy, hungry all day and very active at times.

I'm quite sure that he has a beginning of LS and it makes me suffer to see my boy getting old so soon...

You see Barbara, you are not alone...hugs to your hounds!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

old age :( Have you vet check her. LS is painful. could be degenerative mylopathy. Darius has "suspected" DM. He is 14 and 4 months. the supplements will not work at such a late stage if it is arthritis. Glucosamine helps "prevent" arthritis, nothing cures it. I have had Darius on Glucosamine since he turned 8. I keep Darius exercised per my vet so to keep muscle wasting to a minimum. He is still doing very well. Only once has darius sat in a poop he was doing, he too felt embarrassed and since then has balanced himself accordingly.

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest brindlebrigade

It is so good to see all of the senior grey's - My male that was 15 was doing the same thing before he passed to the rainbow bridge. I have a 16yr female grey that her hind will start to sag when she stands in one place too long. I have her on glucosamine "missing link -plus" and this seems to help her some along with her favorite treats.

:P-_-