Allergies And Benadryl

Guest warlock

Guest warlock

So, I am pretty sure My guy has allergies. He seems pretty stuffed up, and has bloodshot eyes, and an itchy nose.

I tried to give him some bendryl (walladryl actually) the dye and additive free kind, but It would not go down, I got one down, but he let out a helluva cough. I found that the tablets get sticky :( Is there another better brand I can use that will be easier to give?

I have given them with food before, but it tends to make him abandon the meal when he chews into one. I imagine that they cannot taste good.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

--warlock

Guest greytmonty

First of all please check with your vet.

We have a super super allergic dog and you might want to rule out other problems before trying meds.

I give Monty's pills wrapped up in soft cheese like cream cheese or American. he doesn't even notice they are going down.

Guest Tenderhearts

I use peanut butter here to get pills down. Benadryl pills are pretty small compared to some of the meds I've given in the past.

Guest SquanHound

I second hiding it - I would recommend PB or stuffed into a piece of hot dog. Also, please call your vet to make sure you give him the proper amount. For our vet it only required a call and not a visit to make sure that it was ok to give him benedryl and the proper dose. Good luck!!

Guest Oh_Greyt

I've always loved using PB because it sticks so well to the pill. But I agree that the vet should check him out, maybe do a food trial or an allergy injection... It could of course always be something else as well.

Also, dogs have much faster metabolisms than we do, so the Benadryl won't work as long and you'll end up pilling him all the time to keep him comfortable.

Guest rsmccorm

My vet told me that any benadry other than BENADRYL shouldn't really be used with animals. They said that some of the added ingredients could be harmful to certain dogs and it is just safer to buy the name brand benadryl rather than trying the off brand.

As for getttin the pill down. I just open my dog's mouth and push the pill down, running it along her cheak. You dont have to stick your finger down their throat. Once it gets past that bulk of their tongue, the reflex action of the esophogus takes over.

Guest ohgreyt

First off, make sure you are using the COATED pills. I Squash up piece of bread around the pill and coat it with peanut butter on the outside.....if my doxie will take a pill like that, ANY dog will take a pill like that. OR put the pill way back on the back of their tongue and hold their mouth shut until they swallow. Gotta be quick though. That sometimes works too. Good luck.

Guest Bodie

My Bodie is severely allergic to many things and I give him his meds tucked in peanut butter. But the thing that struck me was your description. The dermatologist veterinarian told me that allergies in dogs, as opposed to people, almost always manifest themselves as skin lesions. In other words we get allergies -we sneeze, they get allergies they get a rash. It may be that your guy doesn't have allergies but something else going on that ought to be checked out by a vet. You may want to check out her website at www.animalskindisease.com to read about allergies in dogs.

So, I am pretty sure My guy has allergies. He seems pretty stuffed up, and has bloodshot eyes, and an itchy nose.

I tried to give him some bendryl (walladryl actually) the dye and additive free kind, but It would not go down, I got one down, but he let out a helluva cough. I found that the tablets get sticky :( Is there another better brand I can use that will be easier to give?

I have given them with food before, but it tends to make him abandon the meal when he chews into one. I imagine that they cannot taste good.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

--warlock