Incontinence And Chattering?

Guest casto9

Guest casto9

Hi, this is my first post on here, and I just want to say that I am really glad to have found this site. My girlfriend and I adopted a grey named Devie about 6 months ago from a track here in West Virginia, and besides some seperation anxiety, have not had any problems until recently. When we first adopted him, he would drink the water from his bowl until completely empty, and urinate what seemed to be massive amounts when we would take him out. We took a sample to our vet, but she said everything was normal and that he was probably just drinking too much water from being used to having to "fight" for it in the kennel. This seemed to be correct because the problem slowly went away, and now we can leave a full water bowl out and he will only drink when thirsty.

Fast forward a few months and he has recently begun to have problems with wetting during the night. Usually, it is only a little spot made from some dripping, but once or twice it has appeared to be much more and has been all over him. He just turned 4, and so we didn't think that this should just be an "age" thing. Also, he chatters his teeth together or his bottom jaw will quiver and shake what seems to be a little to frequently, and has nothing to do with the temperature in the house, b/c he will do it when it is extremely warm, or chilly. We thought this might just be some of him being too anxious, but thought I would throw that out there as well.

So, anyway, we have an appt. scheduled with our vet (who went to Ohio State and fostered one of their greyhounds while there), but I just wondered if there was any info you guys could help us with before our appt.

Thanks a ton!

Chris

Guest jsk4x

Someone else will have to chime in on the wetting, but chattering is normal for greyhounds. Our boy chatters his teeth when he's happy and being pet. I think some may chatter out of nervousness.

I would check him for an infection before anything as has been said. the chattering teeth is a good thing.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest casto9

Hi, thanks for all of the replies. We walk him right before bed and he pees many times while walking. Nothing has changed with walking habits since we have had him, and the problem just started about a week ago. The wetting during the night is usually just a drip or two here and there. It is not even a small puddle. We're going to drop off a urine sample tomorrow to see about a UTI.

Thanks for the info on the chattering. It's good to know that it's nothing crazy to worry about. I think he does get a little anxious and excited sometimes and chatters them. I just wanted to make sure that it was normal.

If the dog has to go, he has to go. Sigh.....I just have a real problem with belly bands.

Just curious as to why? I see them as a useful tool to get through an otherwise frustrating situation (and save your household from being ruined in the process). I just got Fenway, my first male, back in February and he's only 7 months old...but I've considered them. Just trying to see both sides of the story.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)