My Kavana Is Not Feeling So Well

Guest MountainHounds

Guest MountainHounds

My poor baby boy is really starting to slow down and I don't think he's feeling so good right now. He's still eating well and although he's not limping, his energy level has dropped dramatically over the last couple of weeks. This was Kavana a few weeks ago, five weeks after his initial diagnosis

th_100_1539.jpg

And today he just didn't want to play at all. I tried getting him to play with a few of his favorite toys and he wanted nothing to do with them. Even at treat time, he just stood and chattered and wagged his tail but didn't bounce for me like he normally does. It's breaking my heart to watch him decline and know that the time is getting closer and I'm starting to wonder if he might know that it's getting closer too. He's been extremely affectionate the last couple of days, being very content to lay his head in my lap for scritchies everytime I sit down, which although it's wonderful, is somewhat out of character for him. He's spending more and more time on his bed and less and less in the backyard and although he still gets excited for walks, he's tiring quickly so we've been cutting them short. I talked to my vet and she's got me increasing his tramadol, and he's back up to 100 mg twice a day now (he started at that and we weaned him down to 50 twice a day) along with the deramaxx and she said that we can actually go as much at 100 mg three times a day, then after that it's time to try a different med (I've got it written down at work and can't remember what it is). Right now he's snoozing on his bed next to me, he doesn't get up on the furniture much anymore (although I did catch him with two feet on the kitchen counter earlier stealing dinner rolls earlier tonight) but he still chatters at me when I walk into a room and his tail still goes non-stop everytime someone talks to him or pets him or even just looks at him.

Picture008-5.jpg

This was him today as I was making dinner, hoping I'd drop something.

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sweetest boy. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Give your boy plenty of pain meds. OS can be extremely painful. Glad you're still seeing some of his sparkle and spunk. All you can do, really, is cherish every moment you have. He lives in the now and knows he's your special boy. :wub: Sending more prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Alex was on the following:

- 100 mg Neurotin x 1 day

- 75 mg Rimadyl x 2 day

- 50 mg Tramadol. Can increase up to 100 mg. 4 x day. First increase the number of doses per day.

Guest Lala

Sending hugs and prayers.

Lilah is on 75 mg deramaxx 1x/day and 100 mg tramadol 3x/day. She is one month post OS diagnosis. She has definitely slowed down, but still is eating pretty well (she was never a great eater) and is happy. She does the occasional zoomies and tosses her toys around some, too. Every day is a gift.

Sending hope and prayers that this is just one of those "off" days. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest luluaz

Note to self:

Drop something to him at meal prep time while you still can-

Spoiling them with everything they love is what we get to do at the end.

Memorize his face....

Prayers and peace to sweet Kavana and you.

Lisa