Foot Pad Torn

Guest FordRacingRon

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia partially tore a pad off of one of her rear feet. I didn't even know this was possible. I suspect what happened was she ran about 30 laps in the yard . Afterwards into her wading pool for a cool down. Then instead of going back into the house she ran some more laps which ended by her running on pavement,,thats when I think she tore it. No crying or yelping or limping,,I just noticed it a couple of hours later, if I'm right aobut the cause.

The vet glued it back on, gave her a pain shot and gave us some anitbiotics and said we are good to go. So how long will this take to heal,,,,I never knew dogs could rip those off and I would ahve thought it would have hurt like heck but Leia doesn't seem to mind.

Guest LynnM

Sure.... when Joplin was lure coursing, blown pads were a common occurrence. I'd keep it relatively clean (you can only keep a dog foot so clean) by running the hose on it a couple of times, but that was it. Running on hot, dry ground is a recipe for blown pads. Fortunately, it's no big deal unless it's completely cut/actively bleeding. If that's the case, then bandaging and antibiotics are warranted.

Lynn

You could try putting a baby sock on it when she goes out doors. If she'll leave it on, it will keep the wound clean but let it breath.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest KennelMom
Sure.... when Joplin was lure coursing, blown pads were a common occurrence. I'd keep it relatively clean (you can only keep a dog foot so clean) by running the hose on it a couple of times, but that was it. Running on hot, dry ground is a recipe for blown pads. Fortunately, it's no big deal unless it's completely cut/actively bleeding. If that's the case, then bandaging and antibiotics are warranted.

Lynn

:nod :nod After a weekend of running on very dry grass in GA, I had three dogs w/torn pads. They weren't too bad and I just kept them clean. Took a week, maybe, to heal. They had just torn the edges a bit though, it wasn't actually ripped off or anything like that.

Guest Willerton

Wilson ripped off part of one of his stop pads a month or so ago--it bled like crazy for a few minutes, but then it stopped and healed on it's own with no medical intervention needed. I kept a sock on that foot overnight, but after that, it had enough scab not to need a sock. I think this is really common.

Guest FordRacingRon

So,,I maybe overreacted !?!?!? So she can walk now,,right? Just keep a sock on it when she walks for a couple of days?

I would keep her on leash potty breaks for a bit, but other then that she should be good to go. I would cover it when she goes outside that's where it would probably get the most dirty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what you describe it sounds like she tore it but one side was still attached so the vet just glued the open sides down?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest FordRacingRon
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what you describe it sounds like she tore it but one side was still attached so the vet just glued the open sides down?

Yes that is correct. It was half way torn off so one could see underneath it,,just sort of flapping. The vet got a tube of crazy glue or something and glued it back on. I assume a new pad will grow underneath the glued one and the glued one will come off eventually. Leia has to go for a walk though,,not being allowed to walk is already getting to her. She doesn't get it, because she doens't think she is hurt.

Funny sidenote: Leia hates the vet. Shakes so hard I am amazed any fur is left. The first thing she has to do when she goes into the exam room is get weighed and she is terrified of the scale. After going there for so many times (she had a lot of visits when she was attacked and subsequently repaired last year) she has learned that she has to get weighed and eventually she leaves. So yesterday she kept walking back onto the scale when no one was looking at her foot,,I assume her thinking is "look you got me on this silver thing,,can we go now?". She's so smart !!

Edited by FordRacingRon

Guest LynnM

Better to overreact than underreact. Once she's done it for the 482nd time, you'll probably hose it off and let it be. I don't even restrict my crew's activity except to not take them to the dog park or let them run in Pam's pasture if I'm up there. Any more, if someone's limping a little and I see it's a blown pad, I'm HAPPY- it's something that you can see, fixes itself and causes no permanent damage.

Lynn

Sock if her foot seems ouchy is all -- let her be your guide. I probably wouldn't let her run down a gravel or hard dirt road at full speed, but if she's comfy doing your normal walk, go for it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.