His Mouth Still Wont Heal!

Clark's gums came open again!! He is going under again tomorrow to restitch. This time they are going to take a sample to send out. Dr wants to see if there is another problem we don't see. He is also going to switch antibiotics to see if that will help. Have any of you run into this problem? I'm getting very worried, I just don't know what else we can do.

Vet took xrays, said they saw nothing abnormal. Tried a different stitching, double layer. Put him on different antibiotics. Hope this works poor boy was miserable again, had a rough night.

He seems better today. Brat wouldn't eat so I got him some McDonald's hamburgers for dinner and fed him small pieces - of course he ate that!! He took his meds after that with strawberry flavored cream cheese. He barked at the neighbors, so I guess that's an improvement. Now we just keep our fingers crossed that his mouth heals. :goodluck

Edited by gryhndsr4us

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

The other side healed fine. He originally had two teeth pulled on each side (the two incisors in front of the canine). The right side healed up fine, the left wont heal. I would think an allergy would of caused problems with the other side.

I will still ask tomorrow when I take him in. Thanks for the suggestion, maybe they will try a different suture material.

Edited by gryhndsr4us

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

:(

Have no experience with mouth wounds. Do have experience with a large wound on the abdomen that came open. It needed to stay stitched longer was all. So the question about different suture materials is probably a good one ..............

Sending hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When Orion had his dental back in March, he didn't get any sutures in his mouth. They left the holes there to heal on their own. He lost many large teeth (two big molars included), Is that possibly an option? I'm just wondering if it's not healing because it's being closed up.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest KennelMom

Both Erin and Caesar had upper canines removed. Erin always had a hole and Caesar has one as well. With Erin, they tried to restitch it twice and then we decided to leave it alone. Just keep an eye on it to make sure there's no gunk stuck in it, but otherwise it doesn't bother them. A couple vets advised that sometimes that canine hole just doesn't close. So far, no problems (Erin was like that for almost 3 years).

Angel Sophia had sutures because they did gum reconstruction as well as extractions. My other babes have never had sutures. Sending prayers and gentle hugs. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Hattiemae

One of my fosters had a lower canine removed. After it was restitched twice, the vet decided not to restitch it again and said it would heal on its own. It healed just fine, though I did have to flush food out of the hole until it closed completely.