Rosie Has Panosteitis

Guest RosiesMom

Guest RosiesMom

In a sense this makes me very relieved, as there seems to have been so many cases of bone cancer popping up over the last few months...and that is exactly what the orthopedist thought it was from the way she reacted to palpitation.

X-rays bear out the diagnosis, and they (orthopedist and my DV) were able to find numerous "sore" places along her long bones. Both were surprised, since they associate this with German Shepherds and Rotties, and younger dogs (she will be 3 on May 23).

She is now on Rimadyl.

I feel kind of awful, because she's had these shifting pains and odd limps and been reactive to gentle touches sometimes to the point that we thought she was being "sensitive." Now I know she is in pain all over the place and just not able to talk about it.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How long did it take to resolve?

(DV is saying possibly 6 mo to 1 year)

Many thanks in advance...

Edited by RosiesMom

Three with pano? I thought that was only a puppy problem... My friend's GSD puppy has it and so did her other GSD puppy (he's now 6). Huh. Hope it resolves quickly for you. My friend's pup is on rimadyl as needed, which thankfully hasn't been much.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest RosiesMom
Three with pano? I thought that was only a puppy problem...

I guess it is possible to have this up to 5-6 years...I've been reading a lot today!

I thought it was puppies only too...because they are growing...

Rosie is an oddball.

She sure has been in pain though.

Never heard of a dog having pano at that age. It occurs when they are growing.

I personally would not put a dog with pano on pain meds. I also would get a second opinion on a three year old diagnosed with this :)

Sending prayers!

(yes, I have had a dog with pano)

let me edit re what pano is and about pain management. I've read enough about this not to use an NSAID that may cause IMHA (yes, a possible side effect of rimadyl)

Panosteitis

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Panosteitis is a common bone disease in dogs. It manifests with sudden, otherwise unexplained pain and lameness sometimes shifting from leg to leg, usually between 5 and 14 months of age.[1] Signs such as fever and weight loss, and symptoms such as anorexia, and lethargy can also be seen. The cause is unknown, but genetics, stress, infection, metabolism, or an autoimmune component may be factors.[2] Panosteitis is characterized histologically by an increase in activity of osteoblasts and fibroblasts in the periosteum, endosteum and bone marrow, resulting in fibrosis and the formation of connective tissue in the medullary cavity of the affected bone. Pain may be caused by increased pressure in the medullary cavity and the stimulation of pain receptors in the periosteum.[3]

The humerus is most commonly affected.[4] Males are more commonly affected than females.[5] Diagnosis is made by pain on palpation of the long bones of the limbs. X-rays may show an increased density in the medullary cavity of the affected bones, often near the nutrient foramen (where the blood vessels enter the bone). This evidence may not be present for up to ten days after lameness begins.[6] Pain medication and exercise restriction can help to relieve the symptoms, and the lameness usually goes away after days to weeks without additional treatment. Recurrences up to the age of two years may occur.[6] Larger breeds, such as German Shepherd Dogs, Basset Hounds, Dobermanns, Labrador Retrievers, and Rottweilers, are more prone to this problem.[7]

Panosteitis is also referred to as eosinophilic panosteitis, enostosis, endosteal proliferation of new bone, and eopan.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest RosiesMom

Thank you...it all went by so fast and I thought it made a lot of sense given her "shifting limp" and all.

I will seek out another vet...I can't remember the name of the orthopedist, but she is apparently a circuit rider consultant among vets in the area.

I deeply appreciate both the prayers and the expertise!

Question: If not pain meds, what would you suggest/what have you done in the past?

(just in case the pano diagnosis sticks)

W

If I was absolutely positive this was pano, I'd try something light, maybe tramadol--maybe. I'd have to research the options a little more.

My Chrissy had it probably 4-8 weeks and it was gone. Of course, back then, we didn't medicate like now (sometimes, imo that is a good thing and let's not start debating that here, in this thread--resurrect an old debate). When it hurt she laid down. I honestly don't remember it being that big a deal for her. I am sure each dog is different.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest RosiesMom

Thank you again.

I won't debate with you. I am a big fan of the "don't put it in your mouth unless you need it" principle across species! With exceptions for chocolate and coffee for my poor addicted self.

Anyhow, this is good to know.

Rosie has been limping around off and on for about 4 months. We did ex-rays when it first started (it looked like it was her hips bothering her then). Her joints look fabulous. She often spends the day with a group of fuzzy friends at a day boarding place next to the vet, and there have been a constant stream of conflicting reports about which leg she's limping on/off. These kids love her dearly and are so earnest.

At any rate, she was doing the same thing at home. Last week she had her annual check up and her knee seemed so painful (huge screeches on manipulation) that we decided to xray again. I guess they did see spots in the bone, but for some reason think it is pano and not cancer...which is appealing. But if there is any doubt, I want to get it checked out.

Thanks again for your kind words and wisdom.

Elphie was diagnosed with Pano last July... at 14 weeks old. I didn't want to keep her on pain meds (for the reasons BurpDog mentions) so I started doing some research and somewhere read that raw diets were helpful. I switched her to raw, one week later there was no pain at all and she has been fine ever since. She was a growing puppy and boy has she grown but hasn't showed any of those painful symptoms since. It was horrible to see this active little puppy suddenly stop playing, sit down and cry in pain.

Anyway, a raw diet seems to have helped with her pano pains.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest BooMooandDoo

Mazie had pano as a puppy, around 16 weeks, and we did pain meds initially, but only kept her on them for a few days. She eventually grew out of it. I did think I had a broken puppy, all she'd do is lay around, until she grew out of it.

won't debate with you. I am a big fan of the "don't put it in your mouth unless you need it" principle across species! With exceptions for chocolate and coffee for my poor addicted self.

No, I didn't want to take up your thread with debate -- there are more than a few threads in this forum that could be brought up again :lol

At any rate, she was doing the same thing at home. Last week she had her annual check up and her knee seemed so painful (huge screeches on manipulation) that we decided to xray again. I guess they did see spots in the bone, but for some reason think it is pano and not cancer...which is appealing. But if there is any doubt, I want to get it checked out.

What kind of blood work ups have you done these past 4 months?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Is this something that your regular vets are diagnosing? I think I'd take her to an orthopod if you havne't done so yet.

I asked my GSD friend and she said she knows of a GSD that got it when it was 3, so I guess it's not unheard of...

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest RosiesMom

In terms of blood work, she'd had the regular stuff - just got her physical and all the numbers were within normal for a hound. We did an earlier check for possible tick-borne disease when all the aching started.

We started with her regular vet, then they called in the orthopod. We talked about it for quite a while before we called her in.

I am very grateful for your stories, your wisdom and for Morty's love! (big kisses from Rosie)

I am new at this and was not thinking critically. I've never had a dog that had much of any health problem - at all...I thank Burpdog for "snapping me out of it" - I would have asked a lot more questions if this was me or my DS we were talking about...why did I just smile and nod?

I have some good ones to ask now. Like - why does she have this at 3 years?

I see you're in Maryland - the best orthopod we have around here is Dr. Sherman Canapp at Veterinary Orthopedic Sports Medicine in Ellicott City, Maryland. I can give you contact info if you like and if you want to go that route. Pretty much any local vet refers to him. Good luck!

Guest RosiesMom

Now I know I need to have all my paperwork in hand when I come to the computer :P

I know they tested for more than one... :unsure

Please do send the contact for the ortho...I want to be doing the right thing. Limping around in shifting pain is not working.

Now I know I need to have all my paperwork in hand when I come to the computer :P

I know they tested for more than one... :unsure

Please do send the contact for the ortho...I want to be doing the right thing. Limping around in shifting pain is not working.

I've found vets around here tend to just do the SNAP 3 (HW, Lyme, Erlichia) and won't test for babesia because it isn't a common TBD in this area. They don't take into consideration that these dogs travel. I'd have your vet do a draw and send to NC State: NCS Tick Form

Dr. Canapp: VOSM Ph. 301-560-1397 or 410-418-8446.