Leakage?

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

Well, that's never a good word, is it? :blink: Penny has had a few instances over the past few months of leaking a tiny bit of urine on her bed. In two cases, it was after a really good run at the park, and we realized that we need to walk her after we get back from the park (lucky girl) because she doesn't pee as much while she's there. The other three times it's happened have been as we're getting ready to go for a walk, when she's happy and bouncy and barking out of excitement. We figure that she's got a full bladder at that point, and leaks a little in all her excitment. But is that normal?? Does anyone else's pup do that? Penny is 6 years old. We've had her for 2 years, and she's only started doing this in the past few months. Is this behavior worthy of a visit to the vet?

Note that this isn't a lot of urine - it leaves a spot on her bed no bigger than the size of your palm at most - and that Penny has never had an accident in the house. The incidents have occurred several weeks apart, as well, so it didn't seem to me to be symptoms of a UTI...but I guess it could be?

I have no clue what to about this, if anything, so any thoughts or experiences would be so helpful!

Thanks,

Jennie

Sounds like a little urinary incontinence which can be just leaking. If I were you I would take a trip to the vet to check for a UTI (just in case) and discuss with the doctor options for treatment. There are medications that work really well if it incontinence...they tighten the bladder sphincter muscle.

Guest gretzky

Wonder was diagnosed with spay incontinence at 6 years of age. It was almost 2 years after being spayed. For her it is only when she is lying down. Doesn't matter if the bladder is full or just after a walk. The urine actually drips out, a drop at a time like a faucet. She is on Proin which manages it well once you find the right dosage. She gets a whole pill in the morning and a 1/2 at night. It matters if you miss a dose as well. Miss a whole day and leakage usually returns.

Wonder was diagnosed with spay incontinence at 6 years of age. It was almost 2 years after being spayed. For her it is only when she is lying down. Doesn't matter if the bladder is full or just after a walk. The urine actually drips out, a drop at a time like a faucet. She is on Proin which manages it well once you find the right dosage. She gets a whole pill in the morning and a 1/2 at night. It matters if you miss a dose as well. Miss a whole day and leakage usually returns.

Same with Winnie. She'd be embarrassed that I'm sharing this, but there used to be many wet spots on her bed, the couch, etc., after she was laying there. We started her on Proin too, and haven't had a problem since. We give her 1/2 in the morning, and 1/2 at night. There are things to be careful with with this drug, so if it's determined that spay incontinence is her problem, talk to your vet about the Proin.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest neenieca

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing your experiences with incontinence. I am SO glad I posted. Greytalk saves the day again! We will definitely get her to the vet about this asap, and yes, I'll ask about the Proin if that's what she needs. Thanks for that tip.

Assuming I'll have to take a urine sample with us to the vet, my next question would be...how the heck do I get a urine sample from a pup that "marks" rather than "pees"? Seriously, she marks almost every tree on our walks, so never pees for more than a second or two each time. Do I just keep holding out a cup...or...?? :unsure

Guest vahoundlover

After losing Doll to a toxic reaction to Proin, I will never use that drug again. My acupuncture vet said she has had great results with herbs...if any of our pups show signs of incontinence I will try that route.

Guest greytexplorer

Yep, hold a small, flattish cup or dish underneath her when she goes.

It might be helpful if someone could walk with you and hold the leash, so that you can lunge for the drops and not scare the <parc> out of her.

Then, transfer the urine into a ziploc bag with her name on it, and take to vet asap.

I have gotten very good at this. I have a small dessert bowl, just for this purpose. With older ladies, I have needed it a lot, unfortunately.

Mandy (age 10) has had incontinence issues, and it cleared up with a couple of months on DES. Is that the same as Proin?

and btw, the vet just needs a small amount of urine....even a tablespoon is oftentimes sufficient!

Edited by greytexplorer

Guest neenieca
Yep, hold a small, flattish cup or dish underneath her when she goes.

It might be helpful if someone could walk with you and hold the leash, so that you can lunge for the drops and not scare the <parc> out of her.

Then, transfer the urine into a ziploc bag with her name on it, and take to vet asap.

I have gotten very good at this. I have a small dessert bowl, just for this purpose. With older ladies, I have needed it a lot, unfortunately.

Mandy (age 10) has had incontinence issues, and it cleared up with a couple of months on DES. Is that the same as Proin?

and btw, the vet just needs a small amount of urine....even a tablespoon is oftentimes sufficient!

THANK YOU, greytexplorer, for the tips! And it's really good to know that if I do a miserable job collecting it, the vet only needs a little bit!