Dry, Cracking Nails

Guest loveagrey

Guest loveagrey

When I was trimming Trap's nails last night, I noticed that they are very dry and are peeling and cracking. Anyone know of something that I can give him, either as a supplement in his diet or otherwise to remedy this?

Guest JillyBean30

Gosh, not real sure - maybe fish oil or an Omega supplement if Trap's nails are dry? It might have something to do with the angle at which the nails are being cut... Instead of straight across, try ending up with more of a point (cut twice, once from underneath and once from above, if that makes any sense) or maybe try grinding them instead?

Hope that proves helpful! :colgate

Hmm... ok. I was asking that because dry and cracked nails can be a symptom of vitamin A overdose (i.e. cod liver oil or feeding excessive amounts of liver). But it doesn't sound like that's the case here.

How about giving him some fish oil pills for the Omega 3's? I get mine at the Costco pharmacy, but any pharmacy will do (I used to get them at Shoppers before we got a Costco membership). Start with 1 pill per day, and work your way up to 3 or 4 per day. For my dogs I had to poke the gelcap with a knife the first time, and squeeze some oil out to show them what it was. Ever since then they've eaten them up like treats (so you don't have to "pill" him). You can also just toss the capsules into his kibble.

I'll see if I can find any other possible causes, and maybe someone else will have experience with this.

Edited by Ola