Sophie Has Bone Cancer

Guest JohnnyBell

Guest JohnnyBell

Thanx for all the support.I've kept in contact with Dr Couto/Dr Vimar from Ohio State they both looked at the biopsy results and said cancer.From what I understand she has Fibroblastic osteo which is the least aggresive of the bone cancers and has the best prognosis.Sophie doesn't seem to be in lots of pain but she is on 2 different pain meds.She seems obviously tired though.I have a vet appt today to have the stiches from the biopsy taken out and to discuss what to do.My girl :crying .

:( I am so sorry. Sending my many prayers and white light your way. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, prayers coming for your girl

My Marvin had fibroblastic osteosarcoma. Here's a link to Marvin's Amputation photo album it's very graphic but you wil know what to expect if you choose to do it.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Guest paulamariez

I am so sorry to hear about poor Sophie. But hopefully she will still have a long happy life. Our grey Chief had osteosarcoma and still lived to be almost 14 years old. He did not have an amputation, because we didn't know he had the cancer until his back leg broke. Chief was limping and being treated for arthritis because his xrays and bloodwork were clear. Such a sneaky disease. After Chief's leg broke we took him to the vet and we were faced with the decision to amputate or to put him down, when the vet told us what it was after the xray. We were so torn because of his advanced age. Chief solved the entire issue for us, by passing in his sleep at the vet the same night his leg broke. That was just like Chief, so selfless and stoic and strong until the end. He didn't want us to have to decide, so he did it for us. Still miss him so much though and he's been gone 4 years this past May 10th. I always remember because he died the day before Mother's Day.

Guest myjazzy

I'm so sorry about Sophie. I had to deal with the same thing. I decided not to amputate and do chemo. She went into remission for about a year, but then it came back and the drugs stopped working, so I just tried to keep her as comfortable as possible until she let me know it was time to go. What will determine what you should do is her age, and how advanced it is. If it has not metastasized, chemo is an option. You should talk it over with your vet. Ask what your options are and what are the side effects of any treatment he/she offers. You know her, and know what she'll be able to tolerate. The one thing I look back upon, is whether I should have amputated or not. While the chemo was working she enjoyed life to the fullest, but once the cancer started to take over and she was in pain, I wondered whether the amputation would have saved her some pain.

It's a tough decision to make. But whatever you do, get as much information as you can and ask questions of the vets.

I'll keep both of you in my thoughts.

Maria

Each time I hear of another hound with osteo, it just breaks my heart. I looked through your first post, but didn't see if you'd said how old Sophie is (sorry if I missed it). Also where on her leg is it? I think what you decide to do depends on many things---her age, her disposition (would she adjust to life as a tripod?), the location of the tumor, whether X-rays show it is in the lungs, if YOU can deal with the post-op adjustment (which many times gets worse before it gets better), and realistically, your finances. If she is a strong, stoic girl, and it hasn't metasticized, you could think about amputation. I know I keep repeating Winnie's story here, but if you are leaning towards the amp, but are scared or uncertain though you feel she could adjust, maybe my girl can be an inspiration. We did the right hind leg amp in July 2004, 2 months after her biopsy and diagnosis. Her lungs were clear, she was 8, and she's a stubborn girl who wants to be here. And she still is. We just came back from Gettysburg, where my amazing Queen pulled me all over town. We didn't do chemo, instead starting her on artemisinin and other immune system boosters. Even though I know that we were incredibly lucky, as well as just doing what we thought was best for her, I think I still would have had no regrets had we not gotten as much time. We were so afraid that bone would shatter, necessitating a life or death decision immediately. This is my often repeated mantra---Cancer is a crapshoot. You do everything you can, and sometimes it's enough, and sometimes it's not. But whatever you do, whatever you decide, you are the one who loves and understands her the best. It will be the right decision. There is a lot of support here and on CoG. And Dr. Couto is an ANGEL. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions. You'll both be in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

NancyB-How long did Marvin accually live after amputation??

Marvin had palliative radiation first and the effects were great for six weeks, then his wrist blew up and he was in so much pain we decided to do the amputation. Chest x-rays were clear.

Marvin had his amputation on Aug. 4, 2005. He had chemo and he only had one more treatment left and his back leg broke (the same side as his amputation) on Nov. 21, 2005. We had to send him him to the bridge, the cancer had spread there and we didn't know it. We were so heartbroken that night, he was so stoic until the end.

If it happened to one of my other dogs I'm not sure what I would do now. He went through a lot with the surgery, and the chemo was hard on him. I was told by Dr. Couto that greyhounds don't usually have a reaction like he had with the chemo.

Whatever decision you make don't second guess yourself. You will know what is best for your situation.

Sending hugs for you and your girl

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

I'm so sorry. You have been given some excellent advice and you have had a consult with the best. I'm glad Queen Winnie's mom posted. That old girl is such an inspiration for all of us. (Queen Winnie that is although her mom is pretty terrific too )

One of my personal inpirations is Riley Roo a fabulous boy that had osteo at the same time Foxy had her tumor removed. He had an amp and chemo and almost made if to the 2nd anniversary of his amp. He went to the bridge last summer although in the end he did beat the cancer, it was something else that took him.

Take a look at this, miracles do happen. link

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thinking of you and your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your Sophie's story sounds so similar to what's happened with Snickers. :grouphug Snickers had a follow-up x-ray today and it had two bone lesions -- they weren't there four weeks ago.

Did Sophie have a bone biopsy? They are recommending this, but some say it can further weaken the bone...any advice is appreciated.

Prayers for Sophie. :hope

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest JohnnyBell

Sophie is 6 years old.She went to the Ortho vet today and had her staples and wrap taken off from her biopsy site.She was so happy today.My hubby and I were really concidering to amputate because she was doing so well.I went to work(I work in the evening)and was so happy that we came to a decision but that went down the drain when I got home from work at midnight.I walked in the door and there stood Sophie and my other 2 greys,she wagged her tail alittle but seemed very sad and it looked like she was in pain but didn't make a wimper,her leg was red and swollen at the cancer/biopsy site which is right above the knee.I quickly gave her her Tramadol and carprofen which she was due for.I hope my girls feels better in the morning.Oh how my heart is breaking :brokenheart:crying .I am so sorry for all the people and hounds that have to go through this horrable thing.

here is a picture of my beautiful princess, before her staples and wrap were removed.

100_4950.jpg

100_4948.jpg

Edited by JohnnyBell

Sophie is beautiful. It's so hard to see them in pain. That is something the amputation does for them, relieve the pain almost instatntly.

Sending hugs and prayers to you and Sophie. :grouphug

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest BackUptheTruck

Oh Sandy, I'm so sorry. I know you'll do the best thing for Sophie...

:bighug

Edited by BackUptheTruck

Guest IrskasMom

Sandy ...... That is the worst News , anybody can get . It happen to us. It was so devastating, I cried for

Days. So I am sending lots of Hugs :bighug and :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope to you for

your beautiful, sweet Sophie .

:grouphug to your family and Sophie. It's an emotional rollercoster.

Hope Sophie is having a better day today.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest greymom1997

It certainly is an emotional rollercoaster.... my Hammer was in pain too although he never cried out...always the stoic gentleman he had been his whole life.... it wasn't until the last night, when I new that something was terribly wrong, that he spent the whole night wimpering... The next morning we got the diagnosis...we had spent two weeks treating him for something else... the whole time the cancer was growing and spreading... this nasty cancer...it sucks!!!

I feel so bad and am sobbing all over again...please know that you are in so many people's prayers... these greys are so wonderful... the best gift I have ever been given... and they don't deserve this....

:bighug:bighug