Foster Hound Has Diarrhea

Guest broncsrox

Guest broncsrox

My foster hound, Buddy, has had diarrhea for over a week now. Ever since I fed him a pig's foot for a snack. I have tried yogurt and Kaopectate. Neither have helped much. He doesn't seem to be in any gastric pain nor has his appetite diminished in the least. I have to wait for a vet visit to be authorized by my adoption group before I can take him. I'm sure I'm missing some helpful remedy but I'm too tired to think of anymore right now. So what has everyone else tried?

I have read that canned pumpkin works too.

But not too much. Start with a teaspoon.

Pumpkin has the opposite effect here so we don't use it.

Definitely need to see a vet sooner rather than later. I'd worry about dehydration.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest broncsrox
I gave Dazzle a mixture of chicken and rice when she had the big D. Cleared it up in a day and a half. I gave her yogurt too.

Raw or cooked?

I've been told to go ahead with the vet visit so I'll call tomorrow. I think he's dehydrated now. Trying to get him to drink as much as possible.

Guest karma98104

Hi! I actually wouldn't feed him a darn thing from now until he gets to the vet. Please do a search on "the big D" or "the runs" and you will get soo much info you won't know what to do with it. A lot of people suggest that you fast your dog for 24 hours, and then ease them back into food with some boiled rice and chicken breast, with a scoop of pumkin, and Immodium tablets. But since you already have a vet visit scheduled, let them do the work for you- just fast your pup till the visit, encourage water as much as you can. You can try flavoring water with some ( small amount) chicken broth.

Can you describe what's going on a bit more? Is this diarrhea with urgency- like having to go every 2 hours and liquid runs- or is it it normal frequency but like pudding consistency? Gross, yes, but essential to helping you figure out how to fix it :)

When you take your foster to the vet, bring a poop sample with you, they'll check for parasites.

Guest broncsrox
Can you describe what's going on a bit more? Is this diarrhea with urgency- like having to go every 2 hours and liquid runs- or is it it normal frequency but like pudding consistency? Gross, yes, but essential to helping you figure out how to fix it :)

It started out as very loose somewhat runny but still with some consistency. The last couple days he has graduated to explosive watery stuff. Neither of my other hounds are ill with this. But I did forget to mention that he brought 3

dead squirrels to me last week. I thought he had killed them but now I'm not so sure.

I feel really horrible about this whole thing. Maybe I overloaded him with too much variety. Maybe he ate something that he shouldn't have but I wasn't watching closely enough. I can't imagine what the adoption group must be thinking right now.

Guest karma98104

Well I'm very happy that you are getting him to the vet. That does not sound dietary to me, but please do mention the dead squirrels to the vet. Most likely the vet will give you an antibiotic, perhaps some pills to firm him up, and sometimes they give them a shot to ease their muscle contractions. He/she may give your grey IV fluids as well. Try to pump as much liquids as you can into him, and don't stress about it. It sounds parasitic or like he ate something bad, I'd be a bit worried that maybe the squirrels were poisoned or who knows what else. Do fast your foster, it will make the vet happy and give your pup a chance to "dry out"

Don't beat yourself up over it though- I doubt your adoption group will think poorly of you- they will be thrilled to know that you did the right thing and asked for help when you needed it, and are giving your dog the attention and care he needs- when he needs it. You are doing a great thing by fostering, and no one is judging you :)

Guest BoomerMom

The adoption group is thinking that they have a wonderful foster home that is sincerely concerned with Buddy's health and is very thankful that you have opened up your home to him.

:D

Hugs,

Kelly

PS - if you want to feel like a complete failure, call up the group and tell them your foster ate a sock. Been there, done that, got to clean up the puke......

Guest paulamariez

Could be something he picked up from the squirrels. My brindle Tiger just got treated for a tapeworm that he got picking up something dead or eating animal poop. After doing all sorts of research on dogs and animal carcasses, I've learned they can get any number of parasites and/or diseases from them. Make sure you mention the squirrels when you go to the vet, so they check for those possibilities.

Guest broncsrox
Hugs,

Kelly

PS - if you want to feel like a complete failure, call up the group and tell them your foster ate a sock. Been there, done that, got to clean up the puke......

:lol:lol

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

He's going to the vet on Thursday. Till then they have advised a bland diet like rice/hamburger mix. I didn't feed him any supper last night (which just about kilt me), just a bit of yogurt. He does seem better today. Hopefully it's a good sign instead of just a reprieve.

Thanks all!! I appreciate the support! :grouphug

Guest karma98104

Good!! Glad to hear it- but please do be careful- thursday is a long way away for a grey who's had the squirts for that long- watch for dehydration. If he shows lethargy or won't drink or eat- cart him in asap!! Lots of times the bland diet does the trick. Lots of dogs are lactose intolerant as well, so the yogurt might make it worse- just see how that goes.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what the vet says :)

Guest WarmheartedPups

I didnt have time to read all the posts. Your dog may have picked up a bacteria and it wont clear

up without antibiotics. If the poop is explosive and watery...I wouldnt wait to much longer to go to the vet....can you go Wednesday?

Thinking good "firm" thoughts!!