Sounds Like Kennel Cough, Think It's Much Worse....

Guest Kristensmom

Guest Kristensmom

:( My dog Buddy is not a greyhound, but I have gotten good advise here before, so I want to see what you all think of this:

he's 12 yrs old, has been diagnosed with Cushings. He's taking Lysodren 2/week and has been doing well with that, with no side effects. Last night he started coughing, kind of clearing his throat. This went on the whole night, every few minutes. This morning he was again coughing, and ended up throwing up his whole breakfast. I called the vet, got an emergency appt, went there and was told that he looks as though he has kennel cough. No fever, no problems with the heart, no problem w/appetite (at that time).

We get home, he starts getting worse. Now he just lays there, breathing heavily. I forced antibiotics in him, and a cough suppressant. He looks weak and shaky when he gets up (which he has only done twice, once to drink water, and then followed by vomiting). It almost looks as though he has the "flu" - if he was human, I mean.

I know you're going to say, call the vet again, which I will. But does anyone have an idea of what's going on ???

Did they check out his heart for sure? The coughing and heavy breathing worries me, as that is what my cat did when he got congestive heart failure. Don't want to worry you, just want to make sure the vet checked his heart really well. Otherwise, maybe since he's older the cold/kennel cough is just hitting him harder than it would a younger dog?

Guest Kristensmom

He did listen to his heart, said it sounds healthy... hope he's right. I just called again, and now he wants to admit him to their hospital to keep an eye on him (not until 4 though, I probably interrupted his Mother's day lunch)... I have no idea what's going on with my Bud. Wish I could help him in any way.

(aspiration) pneumonia? clot in the lungs? how's his gums - nice and pink?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Kennel Cough, like human flu, will hit older dogs harder, and it will hit sick dogs harder. So an older dog with Cushings who gets Kennel Cough will feel a lot worse than a healthy seven year old would.

Since he is unwell and older, it's probably a good idea to admit him, as long as it is a hospital with staff on duty all night as well as during the day - otherwise he might be just as well at home. JMHO.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Kristensmom

I was thinking pneumonia myself, I'll have to bring that up. His breathing is so labored, although now the caughing has stopped....

I'm not sure if the hospital staff is staying overnight. Will ask about that! I wouldn't want him to be there by himself, especially if something was to happen.

I'm a little surprised they want to admit him, as kennel cough is highly infectious. The incubation period is about 7-10 days; has your dog been in contact or close proximity to other, strange dogs in that period of time? If not, it may not be kennel cough.

ETA: Sorry; when I picked up Tito, they said the incubation period was 7-10 days. A web-based resource (with references) says it's 3-4 days. Also notable: The cause of kennel cough is frequently canine adenovirus, or canine parainfluenza. Canine distemper can also do it, too. Many 5-in-1, 6-in-1, and 7-in-1 vaccines offer protection against one or more of these pathogens. If you've kept up with your vaccinations, although it is still possible they didn't "take," it might be less likely that kennel cough is the cause.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Kristensmom

I'm at loss for words. Buddy was admitted to the animal hospital yesterday, and despite all their efforts, he was not able to make it.

After running tests yesterday the vet said he was epileptic. Which we didn't know, we only knew of his Cushings. So what he was experiencing was a seizure, I suppose.

His heart just gave up, it was too much for my old friend and he just couldn't fight anymore. I am so shocked and just really wasnt' prepared for this. I regret not being able to be with him his last hours, but I really felt that it was for the best that he was monitored overnight. So much guilt, such sadness, I wish I could have had another week with him. Poor Buddy, I am going to miss him so much. My heart bleeds.

Kristen (greyhound) seems depressed, she doesn't show exitement anymore and she hasn't gotten up off her bed for hours. I saw her peeking her head out of the room once, and then she went back in. I know that she knows already.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

You did all the right things to try and help him, and I'm sure Buddy appreciated having someone look out for him. I'll be thinking of you and Kristen. {{{{}}}}

Guest Kristensmom

Thanks everyone for your messages. I really appreciate the support.

My husband brought him home from the vet so we can all say goodbye to him. He looks good, just looks like he's sleeping.... He just took him back to the vet again for an autopsy, and cremation.

The kids are taking it well - better than I am... It's hard to imagine the home without him. I'm so heartbroken and I still think there was something I could have done for him. The vet thinks it could have been the diabetes (not epilepsy as I previously stated), or maybe an agressive infection.

When they do the autopsy, maybe they can find out for sure . And maybe learn from it so they can save other dogs if they see the same symptoms.

Again, thank you all so much, I know I'm not the only one who has lost a pet and there are many others on this board that have pets that are ill right now. My situation is not unique, yet so many seem to care. Thank you.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It hurts like the devil to lose them so quickly and it hurts like hades to watch them linger. I hope he sends you a sign soon from the bridge that he is ok, and you will be too. I lost my chester 7 years ago and polly 6 years ago. I still miss them a lot but now I always smile when I think of them.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon