Ryce Remembered

rycezmom

My heartdog Ryce would have been 14 today. Last June when he left us, seems a lifetime ago and just yesterday at the same time. His trip to the bridge seems to distort time to seemingly only hours ago in the grand plan of life. The house still has hounds underfoot and stuffies all over. Hound hair, collars and beds prevail. The routines have not changed.

He is still here at times, lurking within our senior girl, Miss Milly, who joined our pack last November. He whispers in her ear that I really loved him standing next to me at night and surveying the backyard, the moon, the stars and the silliness of the other hounds chasing the "things that go bump in the night". She does this just as he did. He pushes her into the kitchen, standing quietly behind me while I fix lunch or supper. He has told her that I will always have a small treat for her if she is just patient. So she does this just as Ryce did.

He lingers in the family room at night and reminds her that its time for bed when the lights are turned off and the doors are locked. She waits patiently for me to "close up", just as he did. He follows her around at times, encouraging her to remain dignified and diplomatic in the face of unrelenting harassment and mischief from Isabella. He has instructed Miss Milly in his various forms of gentle discipline in keeping Isabella and Gus out of trouble. She welds this soft stick with a sniff and a kiss just as Ryce did.

There is still a very large empty spot in this house that was filled with him before his journey to the bridge. I turn my head and I catch a quick shadow of him. He is here when I least expect it, reminding me of his gentle soul and his love for his family. He is the quiet click of nails on tile in the middle of the night when all is quiet and I know he is not really here. He is the memory of a soft gentle nudge of cold nose or the gentle lean against my leg. Has he taught Miss Milly, communicating through the stars from the bridge, to care for this family as he did? Or is it that she has simply learned what this household needs and does it with the same unconditional love and acceptance that Ryce did? I cannot answer that question. I do not know the answers.

Miss Milly has not replaced Ryce. There is still a void where he should be. He is in our life every day. He shaped this family with his kind, loving and exceptional dignity that follows us through our lives. Ryce taught us to be better than we were. He taught tolerance and compassion through his behavior and demeanor. Things that are so lacking in our society and everyday life. Miss Milly is simply continuing to carry the torch that Ryce ran with. I hope that he guides her well from his place at the bridge.

I miss him every day. He lingers here with us. Comforting with us peaceful memories. His favorite stuffie zebra remains under my pillow where my daughter placed it the day he left us. I have not even considered moving it someplace else. It is where it should be. He is also where he should be,. Tucked in the center of my heart that is his.

ryceportrait.jpg

04-13-03_0010a.jpg

post-10392-1178386745_thumb.jpg

Edited by rycezmom

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

He is there with you.

"Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you."

St. Francis de Salles

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a wonderful dog. What a wonderful unbroken bond. :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Tenderhearts

I know how special your Ryce was/is to you! What a beautiful tribute! :grouphug :grouphug

Often, my Lori Ann whispers in Randy's ear, and he does things she used to do :)

:grouphug

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

:heart What a beautiful rememberance.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest cendrine

A beautiful tribute, very well written.

Hugs to you. Ryce continues to be a blessing in your life and a testament to the wonderful

relationship humans enjoy with their animal friends.

Thank you for sharing this.

Such a touching and beautiful tribute to a very special boy. They never leave us...they are always near. Our Angels are all together and they know the exact day we will join them...meanwhile they play...they love...and they always watch over us until that day comes that we meet again. :grouphug You are loved and missed Sweet Angel Ryce. :f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.