Grey Heart Disease!?!?!

Guest Jay

Guest Jay

My vet sent some serum in for a new test 'CardioCare' which measures NT-proBNP.

My 4y/o male grey, who appears to be in almost perfect condition, shows a value of 510 when a normal value is under 210!!!

I'm almost panicked, although this explains a lot.

We sent in the test after Krackel passed out/collapsed at the end of a lure course trial. He went out cold and we've been trying to figure out why for a couple of months now. I guess we know why... he's in incredible shape and has more muscle than he did fresh off the track.

This is incredibly scary, I don't really know what to do. I'm in touch with Dr. Couto with OSU. Hopefully he can see Krackel, i've never heard of an NGA grey with heart disease =(

Any ideas/thoughts?

This test is new and NOT cheap, it supposedly detects heart disease before it's outwardly recognised.... bleh. So much for having a good weekend.

Pearl was diagnosed with severe heart disease 4 yrs ago. She see's a cardiologist regularly. I would suggest the same for you.

She's on a plethura of meds (very cheap if purchased at Costco) and has outlived her original prognosis of 2-3 yrs. She's on 4 1/2 years post diagnosis. Other than a heart murmur, you'd never know she was sick.

There's plenty of heart disease with NGA dogs.

Guest boondog

I hope this is something treatable. I was worried when you told me about this at the picnic. I'm curious if the NT-proBNP value for greyhounds is the same as for other dogs. Please keep us posted.

:bighug for you and Krackel.

Guest Jay

Thanks for your support =)

I've already contacted Dr. Couto, who's the lead for Greyhound stuff at OSU. Krackel already had an ultrasound and we haven't seen/heard a heart murmur. I guess this is something else.

He was awesome on the track, the problem only shows up when he's out running A TON, not in a quick 30sec race. Hopefully his big heart will last forever =)

Guest Greyglo

Our Bunny was diagnosed last Thursday with a heart murmur, grade 4 of 6 in severity. She's 5, raced til age 4. Adding our best wishes for Krackel.

Guest Jay

Krackel raced until last summer. It's just weird. What have you done for bunny? Both Krackel and Bunny have molotov :o (as does 1/2 this site haha)

Guest darlene

Jay, I'm just seeing this. I SURE hope the test is wrong. Is this test something new? Sorry, just saw you said it is a new test. Maybe it'll turn out that greyhounds values are different than other dogs, as most of their other tests are. :goodluck:hope:hope:hope:hope Please keep us posted! For Krackel-- :kiss2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Greyglo
Krackel raced until last summer. It's just weird. What have you done for bunny? Both Krackel and Bunny have molotov :o (as does 1/2 this site haha)

An EKG was recommended but from all I've read, an ultrasound is often better. She's going to see our regular vet soon. Continued good wishes coming your way for Krackel.