Eating Grass

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

alan has been eating grass for a couple of days now (even brought one strand in with him last night after going potty LOL). But he seems "so-so" and I would like a refresher as to why they eat grass. I believe it's because their tummies are upset. Is this true?

Guest April_Lynn

Ava grazes on grass in the backyard all the time. She never vomits afterward. I think she just likes grass.

Lots of theories as to why they eat grass, but no firm conclusions. The upset tummy theory may be true in some cases, but not all. My Tipper grazes at every opportunity, just because. He doesn't get sick from it either, as some dogs do. I don't think it's harmful, as long as there are no lawn chemicals on the grass.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

I would normally agree--eating grass means an upset tummy but after being at GIG this weekend and seeing other dogs along with my 2--goats would probably be a better description of the dogs. Mine are in a frenzy when we walk now with all the new grass--they have been known to walk along grabbing at the long grass as they walk by. I really try and not let them do it on walks because of the amount of lawn fertilizer that has been spread recently. From what I've seen it really doesn't bother them. In fact, the clumps from our lawn mower are a delicacy--hence another reason with poo guards are a great invention!

Edited by Tiggersmom

Guest SurlyJen

LOL!! I call my dog cow-dog...only because he grazes like one :) It seems that since the grass has grown this spring he doesn't want to take walks, he only want to eat grass. I think he just likes it :) He has harked once or twice on grass caught in his mouth/throat, but never vomitted. It just goes in one end, out the other. I think it's funny really...silly greyhounds!

Guest ss556

Well thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the info and humor! I won't worry as much. The only spitting up he does is when he gulps down water, hasn't thrown up any grass. Yes, goat would be a good description!!!

Orion is our grazer and even Echo's been doing it off and on. They like the taste of Spring and Fall grass.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest david_42

Means nothing except they like grass. Katie only eats the blades of one kind of grass, Cougar eats dirt.

Edited by david_42

Stella is our resident lawn goat. She is very picky about her grass and will snuffle through it very daintily selecting specific pieces to pull out and eat :rolleyes

She never gets sick from it. I make sure I only let her do this with our own yard as I can't be sure of what other people spray and sprinkle on their lawns to try to outdo mother nature :)

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

thanks for asking ... and for the responses! My 2 are both new to me since last Fall, and I wasn't used to the grazing ... I may give up my lawn service if this keeps up (of course, that would leave all the dandelions ... apparently my pups don't consider dandelions as yummy as crabgrass!)

Guest GreyDogsRule

One of my bridge babies was a big time grazer. She loved to eat grass. It is not the nicest story, but as most of you with grass eaters at home know, the grass comes out pretty much the way it went in if you know what I mean. Well my little grass eater would frequently get grass stuck so after pooping, a piece of grass would be sticking out. She would try hard to get it out with no success. Being a good dad, I started helping her by pulling the grass out of her butt. This became so common, that she started walking over to me and squating by me so I could help her. I guess you do what you have got to do to take care of your hounds.

Edited by GreyDogsRule

Guest bambiscuit

bambi definitely is picky with the grass she eats. it's gotta be the newest greenest shoots, or she will snort at it and move on. lately though, she's been dealing with a little tummy trouble, and hasn't seemed as particular... we were at a friends house and she started chewing on a broader leafed weed... go figure. :huh

Guest Champsmom

Champ has been eating gras latley more than usual because he isn't feeling well , but he doesn't yak it up , but he loves the fresh morning grass with dew left on it :youcrazy:

Guest ss556

It's very interesting to know that so many greys do eat grass. And the pulling it out of the butt part, loving that too!

Guest TBSFlame

I looked out the window the other day and all five of my hounds were in the back yard eating grass. I thought how much they looked like a herd of cows. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shortcat

My three Greys eat grass on and off. At times there is no stopping them, I think they like it better than the food I fix them. Right now here in Fl we are having a draught and my boys do not like CUNCHY grass. YAH!!! :) The good news is that it does't seem to bother them even when they are eating it. :colgate

Guest RosiesMom

Rosie grazes too. She's very picky about the particular blades she would like to eat though - this takes time - and we have to have several!