How Often Should I Bathe My Dog

Guest Pandasmom

Guest myjazzy

And here I was thinking I was a bad mom because I only bathe mine once or twice a year. I'm happy to hear that it's normal. Same as everybody else, they really don't smell. Jazzy got bathed more often because she liked to roll in yucky stuff once in a while.

Guest 2greygirls

yearly baths here, unless they get into something nasty..I supplement with brushing and those pet wipes. They don't really stink either, when I get close and sniff, I can smell greyhound, not dog, greyhound..when they get damp..well they get a little doggy.

Interesting post. I was just commenting to DH this morning that we haven't bathed Tori since we got her (12/05), which means Shadow hasn't had a bath in 2 years! The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, so I thought I might bathe them, more to see how Tori will react than anything :P

People are always shocked when I say that I don't bathe my dogs, but greyhounds just aren't typical dogs.

If you are experiencing smell so soon after a bath, I would agree with other who have said a vet visit might be in order.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

People are always shocked when I say that I don't bathe my dogs, but greyhounds just aren't typical dogs.

Honestly, I think most other breeds don't need to be bathed often either, depending on what they're fed and their tendency to roll in stuff. My mixed breed also only gets bathed every year or so, just like my grey.

My two get a couple of nice baths in the summer time to get all that extra fur off. To keep them cool I wet them down a lot in the summer though. No baths during the colder months.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest carolyn

We've bathed our grey twice since adopting her in January. I got a really gentle, tear-free, coconut oil based shampoo since she has dry skin issues.

Guest wolfieskitten

Dr. Bonners (sp?) castile soap in eucalyptus is great to keep away the flies and other peskies in summer, there are other scnets, too like lavender and almond. It also needs to be diluted to use as well, I THINK it is 1:10. I could be wrong about the name of it but it comes in 8 and 14 oz bottles from most health food stores.

It's also great for removing (using straight) any sap or tar that gets on coats if you have a roly poly doggy that loves being out around pine trees...just be careful to rinse very well as it can be really stingy if it stays on....plus use a conditioner afterwards. I think castile soap is probably the best I've ever seen for dogs...and cheaper than dog or cat shampoos.

Thats what is in our "woolwash" that I use to bathe Tiger in...woolwash is for wool garments and smells like eucalyptus too...hehe I can get a 2 litre bottle for $5, sometimes I really love living down undah!

Guest AmyB

I felt guilty because I've had Gretchen since 06/2006 and have never given her a bath (she had one just before her adoption). I was waiting for the weather to warm up, but now she's recovering from her stroke. Today she's panting with the heat and would probably be refreshed from a bath. But she doesn't really smell, and we'd have to go to one of those self-service places with the ramp. I might give her a bath in a couple of weeks, when I can be sure that she'll be steady enough on her feet.

Well, sadly, since the weather warmed up my dogs seem to need a bath once or twice a month. I wish they didn't need it so often, but they are always rolling around in the yard and getting stinky. Before spring, I think I had Elena bathed once in 6 months.

DynamoandElenasignature.jpg

Tamara with Aragorn the crazy cat, Fawkes the OTTB, and always missing Elena (Rapido Elena - Rapido Ebony x Quiet Traveler 9/11/02-11/14/12) and Dynamo (Dotties Dynamo - Gable Dodge x Geez Darla 3/27/2001-7/21/2012). I hope doggie heaven is paved with peanut butter and the bunnies are slow. Run free and happy.

Guest mymainegreys

Oh my.......I only read a few posts as I saw there were 33 people who responded. Anyway, we have 2 greys......one we've had for 4 years, the other 3. We've bathed them only a few times. We do brush frequently but they only have a "doggie" scent after a walk or exercise which goes away within a half hour. I am afraid people will think we are neglectful but being in Maine, with such dry, cold weather for so many months, we don't want to dry their skin out and they seem fine.

Guest shannon252

Noisy Bucket (aka Stinky Bucket) totally IS one of those dogs who rolls in the yucky stuff so she gets a bath every couple of months...today as a matter of fact. The rest of the pups never get a bath because they don't need them.

Shannon

Well, I am going to go against the grain here. Riley gets a bath every week. He has skin issues, so it is necessary for him to get a bath w/ medicated shampoo every week to keep his healthy skin and coat. However, I would still bathe him AT LEAST once a month even if he didn't have any skin problems. My iggies get bathed every 2 weeks or so and all my dogs have beautiful shiny, soft coats.

Those of you that don't wash your dogs... do you ever think about where your dog has been? :eek Laying on the floor, walking outside, licking themselves, people petting them with dirty hands, etc, etc. I sure wouldn't want to be kissing a dog that hasn't been washed in a year! :sick Even if they don't smell, they need to be cleaned just like anything else.

Plus, there is nothing like a freshly bathed and brushed pup :wub:

"do you ever think about where your dog has been? "

Well, that's my theory on dog bathing too, even if I think they are not dirty. They walk everywhere & get touched by all sorts of people. We got our first grey March 30, and gave him a bath about a week after bringing him home. Then he had a bath last week since he took a roll at the dog park and had dirt all over him. We also wipe his feet with baby wipes every night, as he usually jumps in bed with us every morning when the alarm goes off.l But will probably give him a few more baths over the course of the summer. Winter is a different story, and so it really might only be once during the winter. We use a good dog oatmeal shampoo, and are now going to add a conditioner too. Yes, there is nothing like a soft clean dog to hug. :colgate

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest K9_Lady
Dr. Bonners (sp?) castile soap in eucalyptus is great to keep away the flies and other peskies in summer, there are other scnets, too like lavender and almond. It also needs to be diluted to use as well, I THINK it is 1:10. I could be wrong about the name of it but it comes in 8 and 14 oz bottles from most health food stores.

I love using Dr.Bonners eucalyptus on myself after I worked all day in the garden! :lol I'll try it on Arco!

Let me say that Arco is a non-grey. When Arco was working he got a bath every few months or more depending on the situation. Plus he had a skin problem which was fixed by using an all natural shampoo with green tea and other good stuff in it! I will probably continue do bathe him every few months in summer and less frequent in winter.

He also has his feet wiped when coming into the house :blush I have light carpeting plus I love to walk around barefoot so after he comes back from a city walk you never know whats on the bottom of those feet :unsure:lol

Guest Pandasmom

Thanks for all the replies. After getting a good oatmeal dog shapmpoo and switching his food no more stinkyness. I will however give him a bath once a month or two. Our yard has several muddy patches and Larry like to dig and then lay in it.