How Often Should I Bathe My Dog

Guest Pandasmom

Guest Pandasmom

I thought greyhounds weren't supossed to smell like dogs. Well, mine sure does. We gave him a bath the day after we got him cause he was really dirty. He was scared so I didn't do that good of a job and gave him another bath a week later. Now it's been almost 3 weeks and he stinks so bad. Will it dry out his skin if I bath him one every 2 weeks? How about shampoos? Which ones are best? I've been using my kids hypoallergenic 2 in 1 shampoo. Hi skin seems fine to me so far.

Edited by Pandasmom

Go to the pet store and buy a nice Oatmeal shampoo.

Human shampoo is really bad for doggie fur. It will dry out their skin and it will cause them to produce oils to protect their dry fur.

Honestly, I bathe my guys as needed. I think the last time they all had a bath was last Spring... except Uber who received the required one when he came home and Atlas got a refresher in the Fall when his allergies started up.

Because they have such short fur and shed, I don't think bathing very often is required. :) Brushing several times a week helps a lot to keep the shedding fur minimal. Though none of mine have a doggie odor, I have found they all smell like various types of wood (Icarus smelled like Cedar, Atlas like Mahogany..etc).

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jsk4x

I bathed my grey yesterday. He has a pretty fluffy thick coat for a greyhound and needs a bath every 2-3 months. I say, bathe when he starts to smell. I just love how soft and fluffy he is after a bath!

Guest chadmom

We give Chad a bath 2x's a year. Maybe 3 if the kids want to help and get all soapy. I find a good brushing is all he needs. I use a very mild, all natural pet shampoo.

Guest Tigonie

I agree with what they said above. I'm assuming that he's not rolling around in anything stinky outside (not hugely common for greyhounds, as far as I know, but he is a dog). Did the odor go away for a while after the bath? Also, is the odor in a certain area of his body? Near his head might indicate an ear infection or tooth/gum problems. Near his bottom might indicate an infected anal gland. If it's all over, it's possible that he could have a bacterial skin desease due to the oils on his skin, although I don't think that is common in greyhounds.

I would try washing him with a doggie shampoo and keeping an eye (or should I say a nose) on it. It might clear up. If not and if you don't see signs of ear, mouth, or anal infection or anything else that looks "wrong," I wouldn't necessarily make a special trip to the vet, but I would at least mention it the next time you go.

Edited by Tigonie

I don't give mine baths unless they go in the pond at the dog park but now we don't go to that dog park so they probably won't get a bath.

I wonder why he stinks? That's unusal.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Well my greys dont get bathed that often but I would say once every month or 2. My show dogs get washed before everyshow which is often every week.

This is the important part!

If you are going to bathe every other week then you need to follow the shampoo with a good conditioner. I would recomend a good moisturizing pet shampoo and a good pet conditioner. I order the stuff I use but just read the labels and smell them. Make sure the shampoo smells good and it will help your grey smell good.

Also make sure he gets dry!! if you dont dry him he could be getting a bacterial skin infection which will cause odor and need meds to clear up. Look at his skin and see if its clean or if there are dirty spots. Those reddish brown "dirty spots" are a clear sign of a bacterial infection!!!!!

Guest mandm

I never bathe mine. He never stinks. If he gets muddy, I spot clean him.

When I first got him, he did have a smelly coat (mild dog odor) and bad breath. He also had a super sensitive gut. Turned out he had SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Once I got his digestive problems fixed, his bad smells went away.

My grey gets bathed maybe once a year? He smells nice, not "doggy" like some other dogs I've met. I think greys stay pretty clean cause they don't have an oily coat like some other breeds.

If you need to bathe him every two weeks because he smells so bad, I would definitely be checking with the vet - something may be wrong there. Also, what are you feeding? Lower quality food will generally increase the smelly-ness factor, as will feeding a protein or carb source that your dog is not tolerating well.

Guest smarthound

We use an oatmeal and baking soda shampoo for dogs. The baking soda is great for odors. We've had great results even when bathing dogs fresh off the track.

Our pups get bathed when they start to smell which is usually every 3-4 months.

I use a puppy/kitten one that is supposed to NOT wash off the Frontline (http://www.farnampet.com/product.php?pid=100295&maincat=&key=bio+guard&cat=), got it off of Petmeds. Works well & I bathe as needed. I bathed Eden back in March, before that it was in October.

Check to see if the smell is coming from his ears or mouth. He might have an ear infection or need his teeth scrubbed. I read somewhere on the forum that a stinky dog might mean that he/she needs his/her anal glands emptied manually. Someone's dog had awful breath & after the vet emptied his anal glands, the stink mouth went away.

Guest SurlyJen

Well, I've had my dog for 8+ months, and he's gotten two baths...one when he came home (he was a bit smelly), and one just a few weeks ago...he was dirty more than smelly. Going to the dog park and doggy day care, he got all slobbered up by other dogs. Otherwise, I just brush him once a week or so and spot clean any icky spots (which is rare). He doesn't smell very doggy at all.

Guest jessicaksu125

"I'd rather be stinky"

IMG_0332.jpg

From what I understand, it's different for every dog. Use the smell test... Gigi got a bath about a month ago, and she's starting to stink so she'll likely get one in the coming week!

Mine never smell. I might bath them once a year in the summer on a hot day just because. Their feet get washed when they're muddy but that's it. I would also pursue the source of the odour to rule out a problem.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have never, ever bathed my Greyhounds...no need....the only 'water contact' they have from time to time is or rain,

or sea water at the beach or the garden tube in summer when it gets hot...they don't smell and have a shiny clean coat.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest GunnyGirl

Gunny was bathed at her foster home right before I brought her home...which makes it almost a year since her last bath. (Woo hoo...her first gotcha day is coming up!) She doesn't have a doggy smell at all...she is the least doggy-smelling dog I've ever had. The realtor that came over last night said he wouldn't even have known I had a dog had he not seen the crate and the dog bed and the toys.

All my other dogs got bathed probably 2-3 times a year. Like others have said, it's important to use a shampoo made specifically for dogs and I'm also a huge fan of a rinse-off conditioner. Personally, I think if your grey smells that bad 2 weeks after a bath, there is something causing it and even though it may not be an emergency, if it were my dog I'd want to find out why he/she has such a strong odor.

Maybe it's nothing and you just have to get used to it, but it does sound very unusual.

Guest cendrine

The only time my dog smelled bad was when she developed an itchy coat due to inhalant allergies and scratched herself into a fungal/ bacterial infection. The smell and itch went away briefly (a few days) after using a bicarb type dog shampoo but when it came back full force, I went to the vet. A course of allergy meds, antibiotic and short term steroids helped a lot with the itch. (I felt so dumb that I didn't pick up on this - I was working a great deal at the time and didn't notice that the scratching was getting out of control.) I never bathed her more than once or twice a year.

I would be inclined to check with your vet to see if something else is going on. Greyhounds are so low odour that to have an odour come back that quickly after bathing would send up a red flag with me.

Guest D_MansMommy

I have had Donovan 4 years and have only bathed him once. The bath was after a run in totally muddy grounds. Greys are very clean unless they run through mud, rivers, creeks and ect. If your grey smells bad, have a vet check it out.

I should edit to add that D-man does have a pool that he "swims" in during the summer months. That helps him to stay clean.

Edited by D_MansMommy

I bath every 4 months or so. I will spot clean when necessary. I don't like to do it more often than that since it dries out their skin and makes them flake. They normally do not smell.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest 4Irishgreys

My four haven't had a bath in a couple of years. There was a dog returned to the adoption group because he smelled only a couple of days after a bath. The foster family changed his food and the smell was gone. It might help changing the food.

Shirley

Guest robmercy

All my greys get bathe regularly. Usually once a month. I live in a rural area so they get dirty often especially if they are laying on the dirt or in the back with all the animals. Whenever we did a meet and greet, they would get baths. We use johnson's baby shampoo. We also have a oatmeal bar that helps their skin and we always use Avon's Skin So Soft. After they are done, we dry them off really good and we use the blow dryer which fluffs up their hair. They always look shiny and clean, and smell awesome and we always get comments on how well their coats look. Never had a problem with dry skin. Matter of fact, the way we do it, their skin improves as well. Everyone does things differently. If you dog smells, bathe him more regularly just not too much (it's hard on your back). :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest shortcat

As a treat my guys get hosed off in the yard. I do use a little shampoo. Bath time is only in summer. and the boys think that it is a treat to beat the heat B)

Guest sheila

I think Kiowa has had maybe 3-4 baths in the 6 yrs I've had him. Natasha has had 2 in a yr. Neither of them ever smell bad and the baths have been 'just because'. If your dog is really that smelly after such a short time I would wonder if there was something wrong somewhere such as diet or envrionment.