Pa's Skip Stone - Stoney

Guest Cammie476

Guest Cammie476

PA's Skip Stone 4/16/1997 – 4/19/2007

I first met Stoney on my first visit to The Woodlands. He was in the adoption kennel. He was the resident “jump up and knock people down” dog. He was happy to see everyone! I was at my limit of dogs at the time, but couldn’t forget this funny boy. Six months later, I lost my beautiful Ace to osteosarcoma, and decided to get another dog right away. So back I went, to check out Stoney and the other available appropriate dogs. By this time, he had been in the adoption kennel for a year. Lots of people don’t want to adopt a wild child like Stoney, but after a little deliberation, picked him, while the adoption coordinator and her assistant cheered., happy that he was finally going to get a home.

From the moment he walked into my house, he was the perfect dog. His goal in life was to please. And he did. More than any other dog I have ever had. When I thought it would be fun to teach him some commands, he decided it would be fun to learn them with lightening speed and enthusiasm. When I went places to promote greyhound adoption, Stoney was always ready to go, and was always the gentleman. The first year I went to the Great American Greyhound Gathering, I entered him in the fun run, mostly just for him to be able to re-live his glory days at the track. Much to my surprise, he won! The next year, he also successfully defended his title! He ran like he lived—full out, and with enthusiasm and joy.

There is just no way to describe what this special boy meant to me. I’ve never had a dog who tried so very hard (and successfully) to always do things “right”. I’ve also never had a dog who so thoroughly enjoyed everything he did or was asked to do. He was always first to the door to greet anyone who came to the house, and first in line to get petted by everyone. If you didn’t pet him enough (and there was never “enough) he would gently remind you by slipping his head back under your hand, or gently pawing you with his foot. If he beat me to bed, all I had to do to get my “spot” was point at the spot I wanted him to move to, and he would move there, with none of the drama and fanfare that is generally required to move a greyhound from the spot it wants on the bed.

Stoney started showing signs of illness in December, and I had hoped that it would turn out to be nothing, or something minor, but he was eventually diagnosed with Protein-losing Enteropathy. We tried to get it under control, and were successful for a short time, but the drugs stopped working, and Stoney had lost enough weight and muscle that he was just tired out, and ready to go. He had celebrated his 10th birthday 3 days earlier. The hole he leaves in my heart feels like it will never heal.

Run free and strong again, Stoney. You were always first out of the box, and will always be first in my heart.

Paula

post-1657-1177192395_thumb.jpgPA’s

Edited by Cammie476

that is the most beautiful tribute I have ever read. He was a beauty inside and out. May he always be alive in your heart and memories. run free sweet boy. Sending prayers for peace and comfort in the days ahead. Rest now, Stoney.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest lizmego

Oh Paula --- Hearing about Stoney just breaks my heart. I bet Ace was there at the bridge to show him the way. Thoughts and prayers are with you from Dave and I.

Liz

Paula, I am so sorry about your Stoney. It's very hard to write this reply to you after reading your touching story of your very special boy - and losing my special Sarah not that long ago. I too, know how losing such a special dog leaves such a hole in your heart that you feel will never heal.

I remember how excited you were when you posted how Stoney won the fun run! YOu were so proud of your boy! And it was double joy for you when he won the very next year! Those are extra special moments for you to hold on to Forever!

I am so glad you got to celebrate Stoney's 10th Birthday with him and how he enjoyed the special toy you got him! The pictures you posted said it all....he was having a ball with his new toy!

Thank you for sharing your very special memories of Stoney and the wonderful photo you posted of him. I love his erect, tall ears and the gentle look on his face.

I'm sending you my sympathies and prayers and I hope you know I am thinking of you at this hard time of loss. Hugs to you!

Godspeed Stoney!!!

Regards,

Denise

I am so sorry to read of the loss of your sweet Stoney.

He lived his life to the fullest and you were able to share it with him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, beloved Stoney.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest CookieLover

Sounds like your beautiful Stoney had a wonderful life. Your tribute was wonderful and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I also adopted a long time kennel resident who thought the easiest way to get someone to adopt her was to jump the highest and bark the loudest in their face. It did the trick for us and like Stoney, she has grown into our dear heart.