Is This A Corn? Hmmm

Guest Lesley

Guest Lesley

Ok, so just as soon as we start to see some progress with the big D problem...

Rebel has recently been a tiny bit limpy.... it got a bit worse recently and then today he did a full on kangaroo impression when we walked him round the block, and again later.. When he got back we caught him licking his foot quite a lot!

Anyway, we looked at his foot and there's a weird thing on it - I took a photo for your viewing pleasure!

dscf0130ck6.gif

Is this a corn???

Thanks!

You know I just can't stay away from corn threads :rolleyes:

Good photo, and my greyhound mommy only opinion, sure does look like a corn. Is it hard to the touch compared to the rest of the paw? Does he wince or pull away a bit when you push on it?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Lesley

He doesn't seem best pleased when I squeeze it... At first we thought it was related to his muscle injury that forced him to retire, but when we saw him lick his leg after limping about it changed our minds....

Looks like a corn to me too. And from to looks of the pinkness of his pad... he appears to have licked it almost raw. My suggestion for treatment is corn remover (there are some good sites on the internet for exact procedures) and then cover it up with a Therapaw boot so he can't lick it. The boot also cushions the foot so it's not as painful on hard surface. If you don't have a Therapaw boot... I have, in the past, used a sock taped to itself above the knee so it can't fall down. Then I put a piece of duck tape on the bottom to give it a little grip so the foot won't slide around on slick floors. Yes the neighbors thought I was torturing the poor dog...

Yup. Looks like a corn. See if you can get a vet to hull it for you.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Check out this link posted by Dr. Feeman

corn hulling

If you go the therapaw route, I would suggest getting two boots. That way, he has no choice but to learn to walk on the new boots and it keeps them balanced. I love my therapaws! Err, Inu's therapaws.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Check out this link posted by Dr. Feeman

corn hulling

If you go the therapaw route, I would suggest getting two boots. That way, he has no choice but to learn to walk on the new boots and it keeps them balanced. I love my therapaws! Err, Inu's therapaws.

Yup on getting two boots. Turbo was still gimping around badly on one - Dr. Radcliffe directed me to get him two and Voila!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I found a good test of corn pain is to squeeze the pad from the sides... if they pull back you know it hurts.

Good luck... we live in corn hell here too. :weep

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

You know it sure looks like a corn to me but, I have never heard of a dog licking the foot because of a corn. Could it be a foreign object embedded into the pad?

Huggy Bear would lick his feet when his corns got bad, I'd actually catch him trying to chew on his feet... but he had multiple corns and his were way worse than the one above. So, it probably is a good idea to look for cuts or abrasions between the toes.

Edited by caro

Guest Lesley

Hi all,

Well on squeezing he seems a bit peturbed, but he doesn't flinch! Plus we saw a little watery stuff come out when we squeezed...so maybe its not a corn after all!

Oh, that's good. Nothing comes out of corns. I bet he's got something lodged in there.

maybe you can soak his foot in some epson salts and it'll come out...

glad it's not a corn!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Lesley
stuff comming out sure doesnt sound like corn. bet something is in there

Vet looked at this today - explored the wuoud a bit and found a bit of pus but could not remove the foreign body. Have to keep soaking in epsom salts and see if it will work its way out - otherwise may need to be explored under anaesthetic :-( Better than a corn though I guess!

Guest maryjo79

Sadie had something in her paw and it looked very similar to your picture. I didn't take her to the vet, but I did clean it with diluted hydrogen peroxide and put antibitotic ointment on it for a bit.

After maybe a week and a half whatever it was came out and left a hole in her pad. The hole quickly filled in (within a week or so). I was fascinated with the hole :lol

There are lots of pokey bits around here that she could have stepped on.... Hope everything comes out quickly!

• 1 month later...
Guest myjazzy

My Jetstar has corns on his pads. Two on the right and one on the left. I was looking at the hulling procedure and, if he lets me, I think I would like to try it. Where could I get the tool to do it with?

Thanks,

Maria

The pictures on the corn hulling how to look exactly like Sully's corn-- just about the same spot too :lol . What amazed me was how HARD the core is!!! OMG, it's like a pebble! No wonder it hurts to walk on!!

If you got pus, I guess a corn -could-get infected, but I'd be more likely to think foreign object. Sully's corn doesn't bleed, ooze or anything. It is dry and rock hard. There is a definite defined border. When it comes out, there's a heck of a hole in the pad, but no blood.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Soak it as much as you can. I don't know if you use homeopathics, but giving Silicea 200c at 3x daily would also encourage the foreign body to come out.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest myjazzy

I've been trying to soak every day, but Jetstar is not too thrilled about soaking. I read somewhere about using old IV bags, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can anybody explain?

It seems that after soaking, I can really see the edges of the corn, and it seems like they are higher. Will they eventually separate enough from the pad for me to be able to pull them out with tweezers? They do seem very hard. I got the bag balm, still have to get the baby socks, so the balm stays put and the pad stays soft. If and when the corn does come out, what do I put in the whole to help it heal, bag balm or something like corn remover, or something else?

Thanks. Jetstar will surely appreciate any help. BTW, we are going to the vet, but our appointment is not for another couple of weeks. Oh... and I also got a Therapaw, you should see him with it on. He doesn't know what to do with it, and wants to hop instead of walk on it. It's pretty funny to see.

Maria