Giving Pills

Guest mondaysmom

Guest mondaysmom

i have always been able to give monday his meds just by putting them in his food. well...now he is doing this thing where he doesn't always feel like eating and i am having to put the pills in cheese. is that okay? i have to give him 2 pieces a day since he gets meds in the am and pm. i don't want to clog his arteries by giving him so much cheese.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We give Cohen his thryoid pills inside alittle bit of peanut butter and he eats it off our fingers. This is a small pill.

:gh_lay

Ameican slices work the best here, but I don't use the whole slice. Depending on the size of the pill I tear off 1/3 - 1/2 a slice, warm it in my hand, mold it around the pill and sort of rewrap the remaining part of the slice and stick it back in the fridge for the next dosing.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest sheila

I use bites of hot dogs. Kiowa thinks jumping and catching treats is great fun and gets his heart pill every night after his last potty with this delivery system. I don't think he even realizes he's being pilled because the hot dog is gone by the time his feet hit the floor.

I just use the down the hatch method.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest cruzNhounds
We give Cohen his thryoid pills inside alittle bit of peanut butter and he eats it off our fingers. This is a small pill.

:gh_lay

peanut butter with enough bread to wrap around works great for larger pills :colgate

Guest D_MansMommy

I just open his mouth, put the pill on his tongue and close his mouth :) I tried all the food methods but I got tired of picking up pills off the floor, making sure he ate the pill and not one of the cats, ect. The direct method is much easier.

For my greys I get a pill, add a tiny dab of peanut butter or cream cheese, ask for a sit, and fake that the pill is a treat for the sit. Down it goes! A little dab of PB or cheese won't harm them.

For my late pill-resistant and pill spitter extraordinaire cocker mix I had to use the down the hatch method. Put pill (peanut buttered or not) as far back in the mouth as you can. Clamp jaws shut with one hand. Stroke doggy throat with other hand, and breathe (puff air) up doggy nose. Result is doggy gulp. Pill taken.

Make happy noises with both methods!

Gillian

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

I use a small dog biscuit with the end dipped in cream cheese. Press the pill into the divet on the end. Yum! Down it goes. No messy fingers, either. This is for a small pill, of course. Larger pills generally get wrapped in cheese slices or hot dogs.

In our house, all you have to do is say "Medicine" and two greyhounds come running at full tilt. :lol:

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I just tip their head up & put the pill down the throat. My old girl ( non-grey) that is on Lasiks just gets it put on her tongue. I've never made a big geal of taking pills so when it's time for me to take mine they all come running thinking they get them! If I have a foster that won't let me use my regular method, I just use some PB & put the pill in the middle & put the glob on the roof of the mouth & when the dog licks it off the pill goes done without them knowing they've taken it.

Pill pockets. They are wonderful. They make them for cats and dogs. At pet stores they can be pricey. Look around online.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

I used to do the down the hatch method until Falcon stayed a weekend at my friend's house and they gave him his pills via the peanut butter method. Since he has 3 pills in morning and 3 at night, it's MUCH easier to do it that way. I 'schmere' the PB on the bowl and hide the pills there. That's the first thing he eats.

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

• 1 month later...
Guest jessicaksu125

I stick it in peanut butter or pumpkin, usually she'll eat it off a spoon but, if she's been good, I smear it on top of a dog cookie.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Spencer gets meds twice a day and I give them to him in cheese in the morning and canned pumpkin with his food in the evening. I buy those cheap-o American slices and tear one in half and fold a pill into it and give it to him. The other half is for his sister Emmy. I don't think that amount of cheese is going to do any harm. I have also used that cheese goo in a can when I have run out of slices and that works really well too although a bit messier.

Guest StriderDog
Liverwurst works like a dream, only problem the other dogs think they should have some too :colgate

My problem is that I think I should have some too! :chow

Guest PiagetsMom
Ameican slices work the best here, but I don't use the whole slice. Depending on the size of the pill I tear off 1/3 - 1/2 a slice, warm it in my hand, mold it around the pill and sort of rewrap the remaining part of the slice and stick it back in the fridge for the next dosing.

This is our version of sneaking it by Piaget, too. I tried peanut butter, but that didn't work for us.