Advice Please On Limping

Guest JohnnyBell

Guest JohnnyBell

My Sophie starting limping on her hind leg a week and a half ago.After she was limping for about 3 days I took her to the vet and they said the everything felt ok and it was probably a pulled ligiment or tendon so they gave her something like Rimadyl but a different name can't remember at the moment.She has been on thet for a week now and she's still limping they refilled the meds for another 2 weeks worth.How long would you wait for the med to work before you get xrays??She shows no signs of pain at all except for tonight I've been letting my two boys out then letting her out by herself.While we were waiting for the boys to finish their pee break so I could let them inside and let her outside she grabbed a stuffie and starting to play with it and let out the tiniest whine and lifted her leg way up.Something is going on in there I wish I knew what?Help on what to do please.This is killing me to see her this way.I am totally freaked out about osteo.

Edited by JohnnyBell

It's time for x-rays. :( Sending prayers that nothing shows up, and it's just a minor muscle pull. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest longdogs

Was the drug carprophen? It's a generic version of Rimadyl we've used several times with good success. Have you been resting Sophie with just short, non-stressful walks to give it a chance to work? I've generally found it to work quite quickly for general muscular or arthritic pains but it depends on the dosage. Have you checked for splinters, corns, torn nails or anything similar? Is she putting weight on the leg? Is she showing lots of pain? There are lots of problems that are far more likely than osteo.

Rather than xrays I would be more inclined to take her to a chiropractor.

chiropractic works wonders on loca but it might be a good idea to have an xray first to ease your mind. i know i freak whenever loca starts to limp :eek she receives chiropractic treatment every three to six weeks, as needed. she walks into the office limping, leaves running :colgate.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest JohnnyBell

Longdogs-That's the meds she's on.She does put some weight on it and doesn't show that she's in lots of pain,but she's quite a stoic girl.

from what I understand, Rimadyl (or carprophen) generally works very quickly, so if she is still limping, I would get xrays done asap...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Have you checked the foot for corns? Dusty was limping for a good month or more before the corn became visible. Does she limp the same way on hard and soft (grass, carpet) surfaces? If you really examine the pads, does one seem more sensitive than the others? Just a thought based on what we seem to be dealing with here.

Guest JohnnyBell

I did check her pads and pressed on them some and no signs of pain there.I have been having a heck of a time keeping her settled though she is forever getting up no matter if she's gated off or not.I do let her out to potty alone so she doesn't run around.

Guest lizmego
Rather than xrays I would be more inclined to take her to a chiropractor.

I concur on the chiropractor or an acupuncturist. use this link to find one in your area. My Effee was limping and it was determined that she had torn a ligament, plus had other muscle issues along her spine and need adjustments and acupuncture. As good as new now and will turn 11 this year!

I think it has to be x-rays and then hopefully, a simple fix thereafter :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest longdogs

If the carprophen isn't working, go back to your vet, or choose another. It doesn't sound like osteo because that is intensely painful, even so you need to find the cause.

Guest JohnnyBell

Well just getting around to update.Sophie went to the vet she had x-rays done and a complete exam of her leg while she was sedated nothing was found .We decieded to do a complete tick panel to rule out any tick bourne illness,that will take a few days to come back.She is on Carprophen which is like rimadyl.She is still limping the same as she was 3 weeks ago and seems very depressed.She will pace and whine or just stand there and whine,I don't know what's wrong with her.I am so sad :weep:weep I hate to see her like this.She's usually such a happy,playful girl and I loved to play with her and see Shad and her romp in the yard.The vet said if the tick panel comes back ok she will have to see a orthopedic vet,I wish I had a chiropractic vet around me,but there are none .Ok I'm sure you've had enough of my sobbing story but it felt good to rant alittle.I'll update again later.

Edited by JohnnyBell

Well just getting around to update.Sophie went to the vet she had x-rays done and a complete exam of her leg while she was sedated nothing was found .We decieded to do a complete tick panel to rule out any tick bourne illness,that will take a few days to come back.She is on Carprophen which is like rimadyl.She is still limping the same as she was 3 weeks ago and seems very depressed.She will pace and whine or just stand there and whine,I don't know what's wrong with her.I am so sad :weep:weep I hate to see her like this.She's usually such a happy,playful girl and I loved to play with her and see Shad and her romp in the yard.The vet said if the tick panel comes back ok she will have to see a orthopedic vet,I wish I had a chiropractic vet around me,but there are none .Ok I'm sure you've had enough of my sobbing story but it felt good to rant alittle.I'll update again later.

Where is Overlea? I ask because I have a good chiropractor and she travels to people's homes to do work. She coveres the Baltimore/DC/NOVA area. If you're out near Cumberland, I doubt she'd go that far out, but let me know if you want her contact info.

Also, one of the best orthopods in the area is in Ellicott City - Dr. Sherman Canapp at Veterinary Orthopedic Sports Medicine (VOSM - www.vetsportsmedicine.com, I think). Barring all that, you can always make the haul out to Wheeling and see Dr. James Radcliffe (www.townandcountryanimalhospital.com). He's a great vet, an orthopod, and KNOWS his sighthounds. He treats the Wheeling Downs pups.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest JohnnyBell

Where is Overlea? I ask because I have a good chiropractor and she travels to people's homes to do work. She coveres the Baltimore/DC/NOVA area. If you're out near Cumberland, I doubt she'd go that far out, but let me know if you want her contact info.

Also, one of the best orthopods in the area is in Ellicott City - Dr. Sherman Canapp at Veterinary Orthopedic Sports Medicine (VOSM - www.vetsportsmedicine.com, I think). Barring all that, you can always make the haul out to Wheeling and see Dr. James Radcliffe (www.townandcountryanimalhospital.com). He's a great vet, an orthopod, and KNOWS his sighthounds. He treats the Wheeling Downs pups.

I live near Towson,Baltimore County.I'll check those sites out too.

Yeah, if you have to see an orthopod, almost everybody around will recommend Dr. Sherman Canapp. His wife is a physical therapist vet, as well. They have a nice little practice and the cool thing is that they share space with an e-vet, so you can drop your pup early in the morning and pick up late in the day and not miss work :)

Hope you can get to the bottom of it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest JohnnyBell

I think I can deal with Ellicot City that's not to far away.I really think that's what Sophie needs.I don't really think it's her leg now I think it's her spine/nerve.

Thanx so much for your help.

Guest dwolfe711

Sandy - Good luck with Sophie - I hope you can find out what is hurting her. It is so sad when you know they hurt but they can't tell you where or what. It is only natural for a grey owner to think the "c" word when a pup limps - but there are lots of other things that can also cause limping - I hope you can get a diagnosis for Sophie quickly - and then decide on a method of treatment to help her feel better. We will be hoping for a quick resolution to her pain - keep us informed.

Donna

• 4 weeks later...