Sir Caesar Of Fenton - Aka Caesar, Dude Bud, And Friend

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

Last night, we took Caesar for one last car ride. He was too weak to walk, so we gathered him up in the blanket he had been on in the kitchen and carried him to the car. I drove, so my dad could spend that last car ride sitting next to him, my brother in the front next to me. My brother and I waited with him in the car until they had a room ready for us, and we carried him in on the blanket, transporting the King to his final destination.

He rallied one last time, when the tech came in with the doctor for his final shot. She was a cute young blonde, and he roused himself enough to half sit up to say hello. Always the ladies man, our Caesar. :blush But then, he was ready.

He went quietly, his heart silent, but then a few lingering sighs, mouth smacks, and a rearranging of his legs into a more comfortable position left us laughing through the tears. Always like Caes to make sure he was perfectly comfortable before slipping into sleep.

Goodnight, my sweet Prince. Godspeed, until we meet again. Until then, we will miss you like crazy.

April-June%20003.jpg

Dad, as I suspected he would, arranged for return of ashes, so we will carry him back home again. I suggested that he then set Caesar on every piece of furniture my stepmonster wouldn't let him on -- the couch, the chair, the bed...everywhere. :) He will be with my dad in his home office, where he would always keep watch over dad in life, and will in death as well.

After we left the vet's, we went to dinner at Red Robin to have a drink and celebrate his life. Our server, a young guy named James, asked how we were. I told him we were celebrating Caeasar, who had just been sent to the angels after spending 14 years and 8 months with us. He shared that he had recently adopted a dog, and understood all too well how they become family members. After bringing our drinks, he said he was unfortunately going to have to head home, because his dog Rex needed dinner too, but Kristen would be taking over for him.

About 20 minutes later, James returned to our table with a Scooby Doo balloon and 5 silk tulips.

He hadn't really gone to feed his dog. He had shared our story w/ his manager and a few friends at work, who chipped in a little money and he went to go get us something to let us know they understood how hard this was for us.

He let Kristen continue to take care of us, giving her the table, even though it was a relatively slow night and she had 5 other tables besides us, but he kept checking on us and making sure we were ok.

Needless to say, he got a tip to match hers last night, and we had a long chat with his manager to let him know how much we appreciate the people he leads.

I'd like to think Caesar sent James to us to let us know that he's already watching over us.

Edited by VelvetEars

Guest DoofBert

I am surely sorry for your loss. Godspeed Caesar--keep all those greyhounds in line at the rainbow bridge, ok?!

....And, I am certain Caeser sent James to you!

Edited by DoofBert

Guest Kipsmom

Your story brought tears in my eyes! Ceaser has joined so many wonderful pets at the bridge and will be waiting patiently for your dad! :grouphug :grouphug

I'm sorry. :cry1

What a great "wake".

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest how888

What a story and what a night you had. I guess he was sending you the sign you were looking for from "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." I think you met an angel who brought you the balloons. They say, angels grace our earth and show up at the moment we need them most. Godspeed Caesar and may those beautiful memories comfort you until you meet him at the bridge.. Remember he is just a rainbow away.

(blink blink - must need new glasses)

That's a very sweet story. Caesar looks like the softy guy who would appreciate a comfortable passing, and a comfortable wake in his honor.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sweet Caesar had a good life with you and knew he was well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

what a beautiful tribute to your Caesar. How loved he was. He will live in your hearts forever. Godspeed sweet boy!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest fountainpengwen

My heart is breaking for your loss, but Caesar will be with you always. :grouphug

Your dinner story was amazing, and leaves me trying hard not to bawl.

Guest VelvetEars

thanks, everyone. today is much easier than yesterday was. i've been using an aromatherapy blend formulated for grief with deep sadness and crying, and it's really making a difference. today, i can talk about him w/o crying. i know he's watching over us, and we'll see him again.

Guest bowiebears

I am so sorry for your loss of such a sweet and wonderful friend!

Your story about James is indeed heart-warmingly beautiful. The one who said there are angels on this earth is not wrong. And we are indeed surrounded by them all the time, if we only look for them. All too often, we are reminded only of the grumpy old poops out there....

When we helped Arlo to the bridge on 22 Feb (right before I had to conduct my choir practice at church), I knew there'd be support from my choir. And there was....

What I hadn't expected was the onslaught of calls and cards from people who'd heard about Arlo's passing from choir members who shared the news and our grief.

Last week we adopted Azalea (whose pix I have yet to post...naughty me) and again, people have gone out of their way to be supportive and ask not only about Azalea but about how Dowland (our soon-to-be 12 y/o boy) is getting along with his new friend.

Your Caesar was truly loved, is surely missed and will certainly rejoice again with you ....

Prayers, good thoughts & best wishes,

--Isaac