Monty Will Probably Go Back To The Dermatologist This Week

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Monty is under the care of an excellent dermatologist. He is on sub cutaneous allergy injections which we give him every other day, with an increasing dose of the allergens he is sensitive to, with the goal of getting his system to stop responding and ultimately cure him of these allergies. SO that is great in theory, but even with a topical spray and an oral antihistamine/steroid, he is more and more itchy and red. We have slowed the rate of increase by a factor of 4, and still he is pink and raw in spots! We have been at this about 3 months.

Back to the dr. we go.

Has anyone gone through this with their dog and what results did you have?

He has MAJOR environmental allergies and we are doing all the stuff we are supposed to in order to minimize his exposure in his environment, ie to dust, dust mites, and wool.

We also bathe him once a week with a medicated shampoo from the vet.

He is only eating hypoallergenic food right now in case there is a food allergy issue as well, altho' I doubt that.

Edited by greytmonty

I've found holistic vets much better at helping allergies. I've found that traditional drugs do more harm than good with allergies in greyhounds. Their systems are just more sensitive, and the drugs end of doing more harm.

Holistic Vet List is a list of holistic vets.

1. Food - Raw diet is absolutely the best for this. Naturallygrey at yahoogroups is very helpful. Otherwise use a Fish and Potato based kibble.

2. Environmental Allergies - Omega 3's are very helpful. I also consult with Lisa at Herbs for Animals. she has herbs that can help.

hope this helps.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest greytmonty

Thanks for your reply. For now we are going with our traditional vet, altho' I know one option going forward is to work with a holistic vet.

I am really hoping also for feedback from grey folks who have done the shots thing.

thanks anyway!!! I will save the links.

Can't help re the shots, ignorant there.

Do you know what his skin was like when he was racing? Might be worth trying to find out as that could give you some clues to both environmental and food (altho allergies often develop as one ages).

What allergy diet are you using? Z/D?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmonty
Can't help re the shots, ignorant there.

Do you know what his skin was like when he was racing? Might be worth trying to find out as that could give you some clues to both environmental and food (altho allergies often develop as one ages).

What allergy diet are you using? Z/D?

As far as I know his skin was ok when racing. He had skin and blood tests with us for allergies which are accurate for environmental stuff but not great for food.

his allergy tests revealed his worst environmental allergies are dust, dust mites, and wool. I assume living in a kennel rather than a home he was less exposed to these household allergens. The pollens here in Philly are also so different from those in Florida. I might try to find out but when we adopted him he had the bare butt of life in a crate with newspapers but otherwise his skin was fine.

He eats H/A. Very expensive which stinks but the allergist doesn't want to change his food until we conquer the environmental stuff.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bodie

I logged on here for information on how to help my Bodie who has severe allergies. His reactions sound similar to Monty's, so I would like to be able to talk to Monty's owner, but can't seem to send a message directly. I keep getting an error message.

Bodie has been under treatment for allergies for almost two years. When his veterinary clinic exhausted all means of treatment - steroids, antibiotics, sprays, etc., they recommended a veterinary dermetologist. We saw her last September and after giving him 70 shots, found out he is allergic to almost everything except humans and food. Molds, dust mites, cats, outdoor vegetation, you name it. She assured me she could control his allergies through steroids, sprays, and auto immune injections. It is now 8 months since we began treatment with her, and frankly, I see very little difference. Bodie gets rashes and sores on his feet and across the bridge of his nose. His nose has cleared somewhat since treatment, but not his feet which remain so bad that some days he can only limp around. He has been on several different kinds steroids, antibiotics, topical creams, Genesis spray and the autoimmune shots. Nothing in the way of medication seems to help. What does seem to help is opening up the house in the spring and fall. In other words, his allergies start to clear when the windows and doors are open and the heat and/or air conditioning are off. I have moved since his problem began, so his problems aren't house specific.

One of the things that makes Bodie's case different from other dogs is that he isn't itchy. He doesn't lick or chew on his sores or bother them in any way.

I've searched for other greyhounds with a similar problem at Greyhounds in Gettysburg, the Grapehound Wine Tour and Dewey Beach. I have not found one, so this does not seem to be a common problem.

The poor boy is starting to lose his joie de vivre. He no longer runs as he used to love to do and very seldom plays with his toys. Any ideas for getting my happy boy back?

Has your vet ruled out SLO? It affects the toenails & feet & since it's part of a larger autoimmune disease, pemphigus, it can also affect the face.

I hope you find Bodie's joie de vivre again.

(PS You need to post 50 messages before you can PM someone. That's why you're getting an error.)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytmonty
I logged on here for information on how to help my Bodie who has severe allergies. His reactions sound similar to Monty's, so I would like to be able to talk to Monty's owner, but can't seem to send a message directly. I keep getting an error message.

Bodie has been under treatment for allergies for almost two years. When his veterinary clinic exhausted all means of treatment - steroids, antibiotics, sprays, etc., they recommended a veterinary dermetologist. We saw her last September and after giving him 70 shots, found out he is allergic to almost everything except humans and food. Molds, dust mites, cats, outdoor vegetation, you name it. She assured me she could control his allergies through steroids, sprays, and auto immune injections. It is now 8 months since we began treatment with her, and frankly, I see very little difference. Bodie gets rashes and sores on his feet and across the bridge of his nose. His nose has cleared somewhat since treatment, but not his feet which remain so bad that some days he can only limp around. He has been on several different kinds steroids, antibiotics, topical creams, Genesis spray and the autoimmune shots. Nothing in the way of medication seems to help. What does seem to help is opening up the house in the spring and fall. In other words, his allergies start to clear when the windows and doors are open and the heat and/or air conditioning are off. I have moved since his problem began, so his problems aren't house specific.

One of the things that makes Bodie's case different from other dogs is that he isn't itchy. He doesn't lick or chew on his sores or bother them in any way.

I've searched for other greyhounds with a similar problem at Greyhounds in Gettysburg, the Grapehound Wine Tour and Dewey Beach. I have not found one, so this does not seem to be a common problem.

The poor boy is starting to lose his joie de vivre. He no longer runs as he used to love to do and very seldom plays with his toys. Any ideas for getting my happy boy back?

I would be happy to talk with you, but I do not like to post my private email or phone number here. If you are less paranoid than me and can give me your email I will contact you.

I am so sorry.

Monty too is not benefiting from his treatment yet. fooey!

Guest Bodie

I would be happy to talk with you, but I do not like to post my private email or phone number here. If you are less paranoid than me and can give me your email I will contact you.

I am so sorry.

Monty too is not benefiting from his treatment yet. fooey!

I can understand you reluctance to post. Please contact me at o2bnmv@hotmail.com. I would like to be able to compare symptoms with you concerning our hounds' allergies. Poor Bodie has suffered too long and I am about at wit's end about what to do. Monty is the first hound I've found who sounds similar to Bodie.

Guest Bodie
Has your vet ruled out SLO? It affects the toenails & feet & since it's part of a larger autoimmune disease, pemphigus, it can also affect the face.

I hope you find Bodie's joie de vivre again.

(PS You need to post 50 messages before you can PM someone. That's why you're getting an error.)

Thanks for the info. I am going to forward that to my vet. While Bodie's symptoms are very similar in description, they do not look at all like the pictures. And he has never lost a toenail or bled through his toenails. Picture scabs around his toe pads that sometimes crack open and bleed. The worst pads are actually the ones he doesn't use - the pads that are halfway up his leg. As soon as a scab falls off, he grows another and now I'm also becoming concerned about scar tissue. Ointments, sprays, etc. don't seem to help.

Guest greytmonty
How did you determine the types of allergies? Skin patch test? Blood test? Elimination (trial-and-error)?

Monty had a skin test with 60 shots, a blood test, and some elimination. He does not have food allergies, it is all environmental as far as we can tell.

Guest greytbookert

I've been following Monty's story with allergies for some time now and just wanted to reiterate what Claudia has said in a previous post. It sounds like Monty might benefit greatly from a holistic vet. From what I know (which isn't a whole heck of a lot :lol ) it sounds as though Monty's system is in overdrive because of the meds on top of the allergens. We have T who used to be an extremely difficult case of allergies environmental and food. We consulted with a holistic vet, switched him to a raw diet and used some tinctures that were made for us. After a period of detox, you would not believe the difference in T, he looks like a completely different dog. He only has a brief flare up when the allergens are very high, like spring for example.

I hope Monty feels better soon! You've certainly got your hands full with that pupper!

Guest greytmonty
I've been following Monty's story with allergies for some time now and just wanted to reiterate what Claudia has said in a previous post. It sounds like Monty might benefit greatly from a holistic vet. From what I know (which isn't a whole heck of a lot :lol ) it sounds as though Monty's system is in overdrive because of the meds on top of the allergens. We have T who used to be an extremely difficult case of allergies environmental and food. We consulted with a holistic vet, switched him to a raw diet and used some tinctures that were made for us. After a period of detox, you would not believe the difference in T, he looks like a completely different dog. He only has a brief flare up when the allergens are very high, like spring for example.

I hope Monty feels better soon! You've certainly got your hands full with that pupper!

Thank you for your nice note.

We are so done with this allergist vet. We are going to let our regular vet get him through this nausea and then we may very well go holistic. A friend has a good one outside Philly. Any recs appreciated.

Guest greytmonty

Well my derm vet finally called back this morning and now is clearly very concerned. Was she not getting the full message before? She did not know he has been vomiting for 4 days. She and my regular vet are worried about Monty's liver fcn due to all the strong meds he has been on (AND NOW IS TOTALLY OFF!) such as Temaril P and Atopica.

The blood tests should come back today.

I am not happy. All this treatment and the dog is sicker than ever.

I hope the blood tests are normal and then we will see if it is the Keflex upsetting his tummy.

He kept his chicken and rice down this morning which is great.

Well my derm vet finally called back this morning and now is clearly very concerned. Was she not getting the full message before? She did not know he has been vomiting for 4 days.

Bulldinky - hope she had a nice weekend.

She and my regular vet are worried about Monty's liver fcn due to all the strong meds he has been on (AND NOW IS TOTALLY OFF!) such as Temaril P and Atopica.

I'm sure his liver will be fine now that he's off the meds. I've heard good things about Liver Support Factors for all kinds of liver problems. Lots of soothing herbs.

I am not happy. All this treatment and the dog is sicker than ever.

(Unasked for advice alert) I would take him off everything even with his puncture wound & let his system settle down. In the meantime, develop a new plan. Is there any possibility that something at the dog park could be causing some of his symptoms? Mulch, bugs?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis