The Countdown Is Over!

Guest w00wah

Guest w00wah

Collected her this afternoon - she got quite willingly into the back seat of the car (sedan), and she promptly started raking at the duvet cover I had so carefully spread over the seat, and was lying down on it before we hit the road!!!. I took this pic by resting the camera on the centre console, just 5 minutes down the road:

230307ComingHome.jpg

Got home 4:40pm. The cat, Nala, had met us outside, Shan ignored her completely. Nala glared at her, but didn't hiss, just kept her distance. I walked Shan around outside for a bit, let her go to the toilet, then showed her around inside the house. Intended formally introducing the cat and dog, but no opportunity really - Shan walked past Nala as if she's not there, Nala sort of froze in disbelief that this dog would have the audacity to do such a thing. Really, they are both so chilled about it, I finally decided to let Shan off the lead, but leave the muzzle on. She disappeared into the bedroom a couple of times, and came back out. Was standing looking restless, still panting a bit, then disappeared again. Didn't come back, so I went looking, and she was lying on the floor in my bedroom - just 50 minutes after we got home. Sorry the pics are not great - the flash makes her look brown (red), and I haven't been able to alter the white balance to get true colour. Also, with her lying virtually in the doorway, I didn't have a good angle.

230307Home50minutes.jpg

Get the ears, though! Irene at the GAP kennels said the ears tend to relax to a more "normal" placement when Shan's in the turn-out pen. ALSO, Irene said that this timid sweet little girl turns into a ring-leader, and initiates 'chase me' games with the other hounds, and becomes quite puppy-like. She has really come out of her shell in the last 10 days.

By 10 past 6 (90 minutes after we pulled up in the driveway), she was lying flat on her side, asleep! This from a dog with no experience of being in a house!

230307Home055.jpg

She's still asleep now, at 9:35pm - lifts her head as I enter and leave the room, but that's it. (I have put all 3 of her 'beds' down, so she goes and sleeps on the carpet!)

Absolutely looking forward to the next few days and weeks of getting to know each other.

Trish

Edited by w00wah

Guest Brandy_b

Congrats!!!! Seems like everything is going good so far :) And she is one gorgeous hound!!!! Hope your someone who loves to take pics cuz we will want tons of that sweetie :wub: :wub: :wub:

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

She's a beauty! Congreytulations!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations! She is a pretty dog. My grey Sahara was scared of her dog beds when she first arrived. She learned pretty quick what to do!

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Awwwww, she's a beauty! :wub: Sounds like she's adjusting just fine. Great that she's ignoring the kitty! Amazing how adaptable these hounds are. :gmark

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest iaksma

You lucky dog! My grey is arriving late tomorrow and the anticipation is totally killing me! Shan is adorable! Love that floppy ear thing she's got going on! How old is she? Do you know any of her history!

Congratulations!

Jill

Guest w00wah
You lucky dog! My grey is arriving late tomorrow and the anticipation is totally killing me! Shan is adorable! Love that floppy ear thing she's got going on! How old is she? Do you know any of her history!

Congratulations!

Jill

Thanks! Shan is 4 (Whelped 8th July 2002), and had 52 starts for 10 wins and 12 placings, which I suppose isn't too bad - she was in the money 42% of the time. Total stakes $NZ13,537.50. (Not being a follower of The Dogs, I have no idea how that stacks up. I might research it some time.) The reason for her retirement is given as "Didn't want to race any more", which cracked me up - did she say, "Uh, hey, listen fellas, I don't want to do this any more"? Whatever - *I'm* glad she 'made that decision'! Her last race was on 6th December. Quite coincidentally, she was trained here in Levin!

Good luck with your grey - it's a painful wait, isn't it?!!

Thanks to everyone else too, for the congrats etc!

I'm happy to report that Shan slept soundly last night, and while she hasn't eaten very much at all, she's generally pretty settled. She doesn't follow me around, and doesn't seem to worry when I leave the room or go outside. She's showing a tendency to retreat to the bedroom, but occasionally ventures JUST into the lounge and settles there. She was lying on one of her designated beds (a folded duvet on the floor) all morning. She's nervous when outside, and is keen to get back inside again, so I'm just taking it slowly, calmly wandering around the yard with her on the lead. I'm pleased that she appears to regard the house, and in particular the bedroom, as her safe haven. I won't take her out walking around the streets just yet - will wait until she has more confidence in me. Nice moment last night, though, when I sat on the arm of the couch near her, and she approached me, so I patted her for a while. When I stopped she took a step closer. And again the next time I stopped. Today she has been more distant, but I can live with that. I know she's got such a lot to get used to.

Trish

Guest PhillyPups

:confetti:confetti welcome home Shan, you are stunning :confetti:confetti

Looks like she is quit comfortable there. :)

Love the comment for retirement. Steppers paper had "wanted to join all his buddies in the adoption kennel" :lol

Im a happy to hear that Shan is settling in....you are clearly very understanding of her need to "find her feet" in this very new world she has entered. Please keep us updated with her progress...she is so beautiful :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest maryjo79

She's beautiful :wub: Congrats!

I have literally spent hundreds of dollars on dog beds, and more often than not, at least one of them is on the carpet :rolleyes::lol

She is GORGEOUS! :wub: Well worth the wait, no doubt. Happy to hear things are going very well so far. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Tenderhearts

What a beautiful girl!!!!!! :wub: She will bring SO much into your life! :nod

Looking forward to lots more pictures in the future! :digicam:D

Guest TaniandMalachy

Congratulations...Shan is lovely. Those ears! :wub:

Sounds like you're doing a great job of letting her find her feet. Your patience will be well rewarded when she really comes out of her shell and treats your house like she owns the place. :)

Keep the pictures coming!