Black Spots On Tummy

Guest Holly1

Guest Holly1

Hi, i have recently adopted a 5 year old male greyhound

who has a small area of black spots on his chest/tummy.

Does anyone know of any creams etc i could safely use

on them in hope of getting rid of them.

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Honestly, I get it checked out by a vet

You never know if those things are the "C" word, not to scare you.

Cody has one that started really small on his neck - it grows every year, but the vet ensured me it's ok....it's worth the money for the relief - every year the vet rechecks it, and if we have some other needed vet visit

Sounds like the typical kennel rash. Very common in dogs who just come home especially if they have no fur on their tummies. Three of ours came home with it.

Use a cloth soaked in warm water and just hold it there like a compress. They'll go away on their own or, if you're the picky type, you can pop them like little pimples (if your dog will stand that kind of grooming).

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Kipsmom

Blue had black heads all on her chest. It was disgusting and I would pick them some but would feel like throwing up and had to stop after a few minutes. :lol :lol

If it worries you, get it checked out.

Guest PDogs_Mom

Its probably black heads. Warm compress helps, but really the only way to get them out is to pick them. I know some people are totaly grossed out and thinks its not sanitary, but if you wash the area before and after and use your nails to work the black stuff out, it'll be fine and it'll look better.

Might be blackheads. All of mine have them. I tried to extract Romeo's and he growled and snapped at me. Guess he likes his blackheads :sick Soooo if you try to get them out be careful :blush

Guest BerrysMom

Yep. I spent the past year trying to figure out what Berry's blackspots were. Andrecently we learned from his Auntie Michelle, they're blackheads. Berry's brother had them too! If you do work on the area you should make sure you clean it afterwards too, neosporin it, because they can get a little red and irritated if you don't.

Guest TBSFlame

Years ago after we adopted Beecher I found these black spots on him and just knew he had something horrible. :) I took him to the vet and the vet was down on his hands and knees looking up at Beecher's tummy, when he looked up at me and said "Linda, I think they are blackheads". :D Use a warm compress and keep picking at them. It cost me $46 for the vet to tell me they were blackheads. :) If you have a dog that roaches it makes getting to them a lot easier.

They were blackheads here too - but closer down near his winky - and you'd be minced meat if you tried to go anywhere near that and extract them with our fella :lol

I used warm compresses daily and then rubbed baby oil on them and they were gone in a couple weeks.

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest greyhound_mommy

When I got Halle I noticed every so often she would have a new blue-ish/black spot on her belly. Over the years she still gets a new one every now and then. She's been checked out by several vets so theres nothing wrong. I chuck it up to freckles like humans get???

I wonder if you could use those blackhead strips... :lol :lol

JUST KIDDING peeps!

I tried them... don't laugh! :lol:lol:lol Didn't work! Couldn't get them to stick!! :P

We need to act responsibly toward the plants and animals with whom we share the world, who have no voice, but whose presence make our world a blessed place.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." Anna Sewell "Black Beauty" 1877

Bobbi, Rick, Reddy, Jenny, and Kat ...Bethel, CT.

Falcon, Romeo, Addie, Shiloh, Frosty, Stormy and Sunshine waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation..Cross River, NY

Guest DoofBert
I wonder if you could use those blackhead strips... :lol :lol

JUST KIDDING peeps!

:lol that's hilarious

Actually, I tried the strips too... one of our fosters had them.....Vet checked it of course....but with warm compresses and an ever so gentle rib with the washcloth... everything started to 'pop out' on their own.

I wonder if you could use those blackhead strips... :lol:lol

JUST KIDDING peeps!

I confess, I tried the Biore strips on Gracie. She wasn't too happy with me and they didn't work very well. :blush

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Casbrat1981

Daisy has one of those spots too. Now that I know it's alright to fuss with it instead of just letting it go away on it's own, I went and got a warm washcloth and started at it. Daisy was wonderful and even fell asleep while I was fussing with it. She seemed to enjoy it. I do have to admit it was kinda gross.

• 4 months later...
Guest nightingale

My boy also has the black spots in addition to a few red pimples on his belly. I tried the warm compress and picked out a few, then adding neosporin to help with the healing. Has anyone tried witch hazel? It did wonders for my skin as a teenager.

Smokey has blackheads. He had a pretty good number of them so we are still trying to get them all. We use the warm compress and also witch hazel. Since he has so many the vet gave us OxyDex Gel whichi sa Topical Antibacterail cream. The active ingredient is Benzoyl Peroxide. I would only bother with the cream if they have lots of them. If not, stick with warm compress and witch hazel.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Guest luluaz
My boy also has the black spots in addition to a few red pimples on his belly. I tried the warm compress and picked out a few, then adding neosporin to help with the healing. Has anyone tried witch hazel? It did wonders for my skin as a teenager.

Yes, LOVE WITCH HAZEL!

Max's skin really calmed down after the "session" when I used this-

Are they age spots? My older greyhounds get black spots like we humans get liver spots. Only they have more. The age spot is a change in skin coloring, the blackhead is in the pore. I use whitch hazel on the blackheads to help get them out.

Edited by Escena

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)