Greetings From New Zealand

Guest w00wah

Guest w00wah

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of months. My home is about 80 minutes' drive north of capital city Wellington, on the west coast of the North Island, New Zealand, and I’m really excited, because today I met my new (and first) grey, a gorgeous sweet 4-yr-old girl, currently named Amy, racing name Bankside Bella. :yay

I've always had a dog in my life - the family pet during my childhood was a cocker spaniel, and at the age of 21 I got the first dog that was MINE - an English Springer Spaniel, given to me by Ian who about 8 years later would become my husband. He owned them for pheasant and quail shooting, and bred a couple of litters. I won't go into all the detail of the ensuing years, but throughout our marriage there was always at least 2 dogs in the household, and at times we had up to 6.

Since Ian's death 4 years ago (anniversary is today, actually), my 2-dog household has dwindled to zero, with Tui, a black lab cross ("roadside pedigree", the vet called it), being rehomed for her own safety (neighbours from hell, taunted her then complained about her reactions) 11 months ago, then I sold up and moved from there 2 months later (still because of the neighbours), and had dear old Tara, a very senior German Shepherd, euthanased due to her mental and physical decline, and brought her to the new house to bury her. Rehoming Tui was the toughest decision I have ever had to make with regard to an animal, but by all accounts she settled in well with her new family and they couldn't get over what a happy dog she is.

I had decided not to get another dog (pup) until I had retired from work, and could spend time at home with it. UNTIL. . . the fateful day when I read about the rehoming of retired racing greys. And I was hooked. I had never been attracted to greys before, but on seeing their personalities showing through in the many photos, and reading of their need and their real destiny as pets, I have been thinking of little else.

I thought long and hard about applying to adopt, as I wanted to be sure I wasn’t doing it for selfish reasons. I read what I could on adoption websites, and this forum, and eventually decided to go ahead. I handed over my application on 10 February, and the process began. Last night, Irene from the Greyhounds as Pets (GAP) kennels (NZ’s only official rehoming programme, as far as I know – and located CONVENIENTLY 45 minutes’ drive away) rang to say they had a girl come in, which they thought would be a good match for my adopter’s profile, and I went to meet her today. She is now officially reserved for me, and I will be picking her up around about Friday 23rd March, following her vet checks, spaying and recovery, etc. I CANNOT wait!!

Bella130307.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Just a wee pic from the GAP website

She’s a blue brindle with the most amazing smokey grey colouring, has got a beautiful head (as you can see), and while a little timid, is none-the-less quite brave in attempting to overcome that, and settles quite quickly in a new situation. She is very alert and watches everything around her, but is not spooked. She is super cat-friendly, and very responsive. I know we are going to get on just fine.

Thanks to all of you who share on this forum – it’s great to know the community spirit is here for the support of anyone who needs it.

She's the blue-est blue brindle I've ever seen! Beautiful!

Welcome to Greytalk. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest nanzi

Welcome from Delaware, USA!! Your dog is as beautiful as my son tells me your country is. He seriously considered emigrating there, and a friend of his in the US Navy did.

Many happy days with your pupper. It's soooo hard to wait for that 'gotcha day'.(I had to wait almost 2 mos) It will all be worth it when you bring her home. Congratulations!!

I could see you practically bouncing with excitement as you wrote your post :) Welcome to GT!!! You will have a wonderful time with your beautiful new girl, and a great time with GT.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest bowiebears

A hearty welcome from Washington DC area!

I remember waiting for our first grey to arrive. He's still with us 8 yrs later and doing really well. Anyway, I had the same excitement each time we were on the berge of adopting a new furkid.

We are there again, and I'm getting quite anxious that I've not heard anything definite yet about an arrival date....and I think Dowland (our only grey at the moment) is really looking forward to having another fur-sibling in the house!

Your girl is amazingly beautiful. I am so jealous! And so pleased for you and for her!

--Isaac

Congratulations!

You're going to LOVE your new little lady. Once you own Greyhounds, they spoil you forever .... they ask so little and give SO much love back.

Be sure to post lots of photos when you get her home.

Have you ordered her any collars yet? LOL .... (they are addicting too)

Welcome & it's nice to "meet" you!

Edited by FountainLady

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Welcome from the UK! I lived in Takapuna on the North Shore of Auckland for a year, back in the eighties! Loved it! :thumbs-up

Amy is gorgeous! So sorry to hear about your husband and GSD. Sounds as if Tui is happy where she is though - and you're going to love having Amy around!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Welcome to GT!!! I LOVED New Zealand when I was there (way back in history - 1984!)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

:welcome Hi from Miami. And welcome to your new second home. Here!

Congratulations on your beautiful new girl. She's a real beauty.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest w00wah

Thanks so much for the huge welcome and many messages! You are all so kind. :blush

I promise to post more pics when I get her home!

Oh, and the collars - yes, I've seen plenty in the online stores etc. You never know, I just might have a go at making some!

Trish

(must do something about a sig some time, too!)

Edited by w00wah