11 Days Until I Get My New Baby!

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Hello! I'm finally moving into a place that lets me have a dog, and I'm adopting a Greyhound from a kennel here in Maine.

I am so excited. :)

I'm sure I'll have many questions down the line about the dog and its behaviors, but right now I'm just getting prepared.

I need a crate and a coat, for starters. What do you recommend? I'm trying to find a used crate. As for coats, it's cold here so I need to find something warm. I also see a lot of ads for booties, is this something I should look into?

I have yet to read through the posts, so I may find the answers to some of my questions, but I'd appreciate any input!!

As for myself, I'm a young, working woman. I grew up with a dog. Didn't have one at college, but had roommates which were pretty much an equal substitute :eek I moved into my first apartment and got so lonely. Six months later I get a promotion, which involves a move, so I found an apartment that would allow dogs.

Now, instead of staying up late packing I'm scouring the Internet looking at dog stuff. The greyhound seems like the most fitting option, so I'm going to a kennel March 3 to pick out a new best friend!

I'll be sure to post pictures once I get him or her!

Edited by jessicaksu125

Guest loveagrey

Congratulations and welcome to the wacky world of greyhounds!

As for a crate, get the biggest one you can find. Seriously. Great Dane sized would be the best.

As for coats, there are lots of very talented people on this board - just look under the merchandise section! If it's cold where you are, I suggest a good lined coat, with an outer shell that repels water/snow. A lighter fleece one would be good too for warmer days. You really should wait though until your houndie is home with you so you can get the proper measurements and have one made for him/her to fit.

I don't know about booties. Although I thing they're a good idea (very cold temps and salt) some dogs just won't wear them. If I were you I'd wait again - to see if your houndie seems like they would wear them.

A raised feeder for food and water is important, as is some good stuffies, chew toys and of course a big fluffy bed/pillow. Oh, and make sure you have a very strong martingale and leash, of course.

Besides that, just be prepared with lots of love and patience!

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Guest Brandy_b

Welcome!!! And congrats! I got our crate at walmart (the best deal around!). And our coat is from Hot Coats 4 Cool Hounds She may not have all the fleece on her site but if you email her she can get something you have in mind. (She also makes really great martingales!!). Good luck with your new hound and I cant wait for pics ;)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Hi Jessica,

Welcome from Mobile. Alabama.icon_wavey.gif

I adopted 2 greyhounds a month ago and would have been lost if I had not

found this site.

They advised me here to buy a copy of Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies.

Greyt book.Nodding.gif

As far as crates go, get the largest you can, I got the

MIDWEST Corner-Pin Better Buy Crate size 48L x 30w x 36h and

put a layer of the egg crate padding down and covered it with a thick comforter.

About coats, wouldn't know, the high here yesterday was 74 and the low was 52.

I just put a T-shirt on my pups if the temp gets to the 30's. :eek

Toys, Toys, Toys, get plenty, especially the fluffy cloth ones that squeak.

My "Wafer" has a blue shark that she carries everywhere.orcawhale.gif

And if you want treats, I found something called "Pup Corn" at Wal Mart

that my 2 greys love, it comes in peanut butter, cheese, and other flavors.

Oh yeah, my 2 love plain old peanut butter as a treat.happyeater.gif

Edit> Oh yeah I forgot, a raised feeder so they don't have to bend way down to eat.

They have some at Wal Mart for $20 or you can just get some cheap plant stands

and put the bowls on them.

Anyway welcome, this site is the greatest,

and the people here are always ready to help.

And thanks for aadopting a greyhound, you'll never regret it.Clap-Hands.gif

gryhndr.gif

Edited by gst

Guest jessicaksu125
Welcome!!! :wave

I'd recommend the book Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummings by L. Livingood. It pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

:welcome

I ordered it last night, actually!

Congratulations and welcome to the wacky world of greyhounds!

As for a crate, get the biggest one you can find. Seriously. Great Dane sized would be the best.

As for coats, there are lots of very talented people on this board - just look under the merchandise section! If it's cold where you are, I suggest a good lined coat, with an outer shell that repels water/snow. A lighter fleece one would be good too for warmer days. You really should wait though until your houndie is home with you so you can get the proper measurements and have one made for him/her to fit.

I don't know about booties. Although I thing they're a good idea (very cold temps and salt) some dogs just won't wear them. If I were you I'd wait again - to see if your houndie seems like they would wear them.

A raised feeder for food and water is important, as is some good stuffies, chew toys and of course a big fluffy bed/pillow. Oh, and make sure you have a very strong martingale and leash, of course.

Besides that, just be prepared with lots of love and patience!

Can't wait to see pictures!!!

Thanks for the input. You're right, I should wait, but I know the first thing I'll want to do is take it exploring and I don't want the poor thing to freeze!

QUOTE(Brandy_b @ Feb 21 2007, 06:56 AM) 2621378[/snapback]
Welcome!!! And congrats! I got our crate at walmart (the best deal around!). And our coat is from Hot Coats 4 Cool Hounds She may not have all the fleece on her site but if you email her she can get something you have in mind. (She also makes really great martingales!!). Good luck with your new hound and I cant wait for pics ;)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Thanks! I'm actually looking at used crates in the classifieds, there seem to be some good deals.

Hi Jessica,

Welcome from Mobile. Alabama.icon_wavey.gif

I adopted 2 greyhounds a month ago and would have been lost if I had not

found this site.

They advised me here to buy a copy of Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies.

Greyt book.Nodding.gif

As far as crates go, get the largest you can, I got the

MIDWEST Corner-Pin Better Buy Crate size 48L x 30w x 36h and

put a layer of the egg crate padding down and covered it with a thick comforter.

About coats, wouldn't know, the high here yesterday was 74 and the low was 52.

I just put a T-shirt on my pups if the temp gets to the 30's. :eek

Toys, Toys, Toys, get plenty, especially the fluffy cloth ones that squeak.

My "Wafer" has a blue shark that she carries everywhere.orcawhale.gif

And if you want treats, I found something called "Pup Corn" at Wal Mart

that my 2 greys love, it comes in peanut butter, cheese, and other flavors.

Oh yeah, my 2 love plain old peanut butter as a treat.happyeater.gif

Edit> Oh yeah I forgot, a raised feeder so they don't have to bend way down to eat.

They have some at Wal Mart for $20 or you can just get some cheap plant stands

and put the bowls on them.

Anyway welcome, this site is the greatest,

and the people here are always ready to help.

And thanks for aadopting a greyhound, you'll never regret it.Clap-Hands.gif

gryhndr.gif

Alabama -- I'm jealous! I just looked at a pie of snow on my car and dread going outside.

Thanks for the hint on toys... I was kind of baffled at the idea of teaching a dog to play.

Guest amberj002
I need a crate and a coat, for starters. What do you recommend? I'm trying to find a used crate. As for coats, it's cold here so I need to find something warm. I also see a lot of ads for booties, is this something I should look into?

How exciting!!! We get our coats from Voyagers K9 Apparel and love them...Nadia has the tummy warmer and winter coat.

http://k9apparel.com/main.htm

We also ended up getting her the booties. When the temp dropped below zero she was not staying out long enough to get her business done. I would recommend waiting on the boots until you have a chance to see how your dog would react to them. We started Nadia with baby socks, when she tolerated them we got her the boots.

Good luck and post pics of that new baby as soon as you can!!

Guest widowcali

Greyhound needs: :lol

Toys - anything that sounds as if it is being tortured when they naw on it. Screaming Monkeys are a hit. Rope toys to play tug of war. A Kong to fill w/peanut butter to keep them occupied for a little while.

Food - ask your adoption group what the dogs have been eating or what they recommend.

Bed - I used a couple of old quilts until I bought beds. I don't know if you have a Costco or Sams Club, but the beds there are great and not that expensive.

Coat - until I measured Cali and Widow, I just used one of my shirts and tied it at the waste so they didn't trip during walkies

Treats - cookies are good, chicken jerky treats, pigs ears, rawhides, etc

You will also need a camera to take lots of pics and share with us. You might want to get a sheet for the backseat of your car (muddy prints and other assorted doggy messies).

You can get great martingales and leads from vendors here. Not to mention toys, treats, jackets, beds, etc. Just check the shopping section.

Enjoy your baby. We will start taking the bets on how long it takes you to chip. ;)

Guest jessicaksu125

So here are some updates. After I made my first post I became fully addicted to this site!

I've picked out names. If it's a girl her name will be Pulitzer. If it's a boy the name will be Woodward. I already am wanting a second greyhound later down the line... so hopefully I'll get the opportunity to name one Bernstein. (I'm a journalist.)

Today I went to Goodwill and picked out some cheap stuffed animals and blankets. I'm scouring the classified ads for a used crate, if not I'll head to Wal-Mart!

The other night I ordered a couple of Greyhound books on Amazon.

Here's a link to the Augusta shelter... there's a good chance that one of these dogs will be mine! http://search.petfinder.com/shelterSearch/...=&preview=1

Do shelters typically tell you the history of the dogs' life at the race track, because I know I'll be curious!

Guest Bocephus
Today I went to Goodwill and picked out some cheap stuffed animals and blankets. I'm scouring the classified ads for a used crate, if not I'll head to Wal-Mart!

Congrats on the upcoming new addition! That's fantastic. :)

you might want to check out e-bay for crates. I just got one delivered right to my door brand new for $69. I couldn't find anything comparable for less at any of the pet stores or Wal-mart type places.

Guest Brandy_b

I dont think you'll be able to get one cheaper than walmart. Unless someone locally is selling one. The x-lg crate was only 96$. Not too bad for a crate.

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Jessica I think the group you are getting your dog from has greyhound coats you can buy.

:welcome from MA

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest jessicaksu125
Jessica I think the group you are getting your dog from has greyhound coats you can buy.

:welcome from MA

Yup, I think I'm going to buy from them, that way I can pick it out so the dog can have it right away, and I can pick one that fits him or her.

Hello, welcome....and get ready for some fun! I adopted my girl Grace last April after 7+ years of wanting a dog of my own. Now I have two. :) They are addicting. It sounds like you really know what you are doing...toys, crate, blankets, collar, leash, coat and food (along with bowls) are the basics. The Dummies book is greyt, it gave me all the info I needed before adopting. The most important things are to relax, have fun, and take photos. Sounds like you are doing everything right. And if you ever plan on needing to move the crate, get a travel folding wire type, it's been a godsend for us. I'm able to fold it up and wrangle it into my Corolla so I could take Grace with me on vacation last year. I bought a new car when I added #2, the things we do for our hounds!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest jessicaksu125

I'm finally down to the one week mark!!

I've located a used crate for $45, a really good deal! All I can think about is how to spoil the dog, I've bought 8 stuffies and 4 blankets. Just need a dog bed, food, treats and a pooper scooper. I'm waiting on the edibles just in case the dog has any dietary needs -- we'll make a stop at Petco on the way home!

And I've already achieved "grey pup" status on GT!

Oh yea, and any other Mainahs out there? My apartment doesn't have a yard, and I'd like to make friends with other greyhound owners in the Augusta area, and hopefully find a playgroup!

Guest PhillyPups

If you get the racing name with the pup or you can read the ear tattoos, you can check results on Greyhound Breed and Data Base

Here

This will also give you siblings, and the lineage of your pup. It is a wonderful site. Sometimes I just surf it for hours.

Guest jessicaksu125

5 days. I can't wait any longer, it's killing me (especially since I spend at least two hours a day on this site, looking at photos of everyone else's wonderful greys!!) I want to show the dog my futon, give it a pillow and a blanket and watch it feel right at home.

It just dawned on me that I told my new landlords I was getting a small dog. They've been on vacation for the past week, getting in the day before I move in. Their biggest concerns are barking and destruction of the apartment, so I think I can convince them that a greyhound will be ok. If anything I'll offer to pay them some kind of deposit, which they didn't ask for before.

I'm picking up a crate from someone tomorrow.

I'm still deliberating over a name, I'll decide once he or she comes home.

Can't wait!

Guest Brandy_b

The waiting game almost killed me too! Its soooo hard! But it wont be long :) I cant wait to see your pup, its fun to meet new people and kind of go through their waiting time, then watch as their grey adjusts :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest Kipsmom
:welcome Hi there and welcome from Prattville, Alabama! Good luck on adopting and it's the best decision you'll ever make!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear all the newbie stories and see pictures!

Guest bowiebears

Welcome to the greyhound club!

It sounds like you are as excited as a new mom should be. That is indeed wonderful.

We've had a greyhound for the last 8 years, and for most of that time, we've had 2.

One first boy, Dowland, is still with us (he's 11.5 y/o now).

His first co-dog was a girl, Sandy, who was 9 when we got her in 1999; she went to the bridge in March 02.

Then Arlo came, and he just went to the bridge last week (he was 9.5 y/o).

We found that our kids didn't much like coats at all and they refused to use a crate -- ever.

Never a problem with them at all, except Arlo liked to eat books at first, esp. hard back ones. But he never started a new book till he finished the first one, even if that meant pulling it out of the trash.

Congratulations to you! You will have a wonderful best friend!

--Isaac B) B) B)

Guest Cossiedog

Hi There :wave

You are right, this board is totally addictive!!

I'm waiting too, for my puppy who I'll be picking up in March. It's excruciating isn't it? Dangerous for the wallet too since there are SOOOO many cool things to buy!

I've had at least one dream with Cosworth in it nearly every night for three weeks now- and I still have another 4 to wait :weep

Good luck this weekend, I hope you find a beautiful new best friend. There are some gorgeous pups on your hound group's website. Flower is so cute! And Gigi has such beautiful eyes! How will you ever choose just one :blink:

Guest jessicaksu125
Hi There :wave

You are right, this board is totally addictive!!

I'm waiting too, for my puppy who I'll be picking up in March. It's excruciating isn't it? Dangerous for the wallet too since there are SOOOO many cool things to buy!

I've had at least one dream with Cosworth in it nearly every night for three weeks now- and I still have another 4 to wait :weep

Good luck this weekend, I hope you find a beautiful new best friend. There are some gorgeous pups on your hound group's website. Flower is so cute! And Gigi has such beautiful eyes! How will you ever choose just one :blink:

I know! I just want to spoil the thing to death. I've been browsing thrift stores for my new apartment and keep looking for dogs things, I've bought 8 stuffies at 50 cents a pop (meant for kids, but with a few minor alterations they can be used for a dog!) and several blankies!

I just got a used crate, since I only plan on using it as a transition tool. Although we bought one for that purpose for my parents' dog, and she loves being in there as long as the door is open!

I've thought about getting two, but I know I need to be realistic. I'll probably end up adding another down the line.

Everyone I keep telling about the dog asks me what color? boy or girl? I don't know, I love them all! (Although I'd like to get a girl just so, when people try to drag me out of my apartment and I feel like staying in, I can just tell them I'm having a girls' night with my roommate haha!)