Going To Get My New Retired Race On Friday :)

Guest fitznpup

Guest fitznpup
:colgate I will be picking up my new "baby" this coming Friday from AAGI here in Phoenix. Her name will be "Tiger Lily" and she is a light brindle (I think). We are so excited to get her! I have been lurking around and reading various posts and looking at all of the sweet pix of everyone's greys here and I just wanted to introduce myself. I will post a pic this weekend of Tiger Lily. :)

Guest fitznpup

I will totally post pics on Saturday morning or maybe late Friday night after we bring her home. :) Was it hard to acclimate your greys to stairs, home, etcetera??? I have read several books and have lots of "book learning" under my belt, but I am still curious as to how the first evening might play out with Tiger Lily. Any ideas???

Guest greytmonty
I will totally post pics on Saturday morning or maybe late Friday night after we bring her home. :) Was it hard to acclimate your greys to stairs, home, etcetera??? I have read several books and have lots of "book learning" under my belt, but I am still curious as to how the first evening might play out with Tiger Lily. Any ideas???

Congratulations and we can't wait to see pics.

From our VERY LIMITED experience with only one grey, I can tell you PLEASE DO NOT LOSE HEART if the first evening is rough. If your dog has not been fostered she may be overwhelmed. Monty barked for 8 hours overnight his first night. And then the fun began! :blink:

I won't bore you with all the details but he has adjusted well. The first few weeks were a rough adjustment due to SA and a few other things.

Your girl may settle in just fine.

Either way you will have a happy home after a little while! :)

Guest fitznpup

Thanks for your help...I dont believe she has been fostered. I work from home and she wont be alone. I am even taking off of church on Sunday to help her adjust. What is SA??? I am still trying to catch on to all of the lingo here. :)

Guest greytmonty
Thanks for your help...I dont believe she has been fostered. I work from home and she wont be alone. I am even taking off of church on Sunday to help her adjust. What is SA??? I am still trying to catch on to all of the lingo here. :)

SA is separation anxiety. Some have it, some do not. If your girl does there are lots of great threads here on how to handle it. As I said we had a hard adjustment and now all is going well!

fitnpup, I am still new here myself, but our 2 new greys had no problem with stairs, but we only

have 2 stairs with 3 steps each. Even my shy guy "Law" took right to the steps, once he saw the

other one "Wafer" go up them. Now they don't bother with the steps they just jump up to the landing.

spacecraft.gif

Just remember, for them it is kind of like being abducted by aliens, they have never seen a TV,

heard a phone ring, an alarm go off, heard a drawer full of silverware open, a horn blow, it is all new,

even scary to them.

I live near a train track, and the first day while we were in the backyard a train came by blowing its whistle,

"Wafer" ran over and looked up at me,I just scratched her between her ears and she knew everything was ok.

p_bighug.gif

Some adapt better than others, my little girl "Wafer" acts as though shes always lived at our house,

where as my big guy "Law" is still skittish.leaving.gif

Don't be worried everything will be ok, just allow them their space, and give them time to discover

their wonderful new world. And if you do have problems, help from the wonderful people on this site

is just a keyboard away.believers.gif

Edited by gst

Guest SYMBASMOMMY

Hi and Welcome!!!

Congratulations on adopting a retired racing greyhound!!! It surely will be one of the greatest, most rewarding experiences you will ever have in life.....I have had my Symba close to two years now and everyday I wake up....he makes us smile and just feel great about life....these dogs are so special and so full of love and appreciation for their new homes....

A few things to know though....they are making a HUGE life altering adjustment...so you need to breathe in deeply and understand this...don't get discouraged.....believe me......it took close to six months for Symba's true personality to come out and it will...and when it does...WOW..... their hearts are pure....

Check back here for lots of good advice....hope you have everything you will need for that first weekend: crate, raised feeder, martingale collar/leash, soft bed, stuffies (stuffed toys) and patience.....

Remember these dogs are super smart...clear your counters and child/grey proof your home...just like if you were adopting a toddler....

Best wishes,

Carole